Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

road trip?

Go down 
+6
shep546
skierd
Krabill
motokid
bigg
alo0012
10 posters
AuthorMessage
alo0012

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: road trip?   road trip? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:45 pm

So I'm thinking about taking my wrr on its first road trip it won't be a very long one maybe about 200 to 300 miles or so and I had a few questions. 1. Has anyone attempted a road trip on their wrr? 2. How long was it? And three what was your average speed? Ill be going from corpus christi TX up to Austin TX and its a striaght shot from here to there with 75mph speed limit. Will my wrr be able to maintain such speeds for about 2 to 4 hours?
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Bike will have no problem doing that. I have done road trips with 1,000 miles done in just two days (with luggage), or single day trips of 600-700 miles with no luggage. If you do the math you'll find I was on the road for well over 14 hours a day. Bike has never had a problem. I think you will be the one that will need a rest first Very happy Very happy

4 hours of motorway are just a bore though. If you have the chance and time, go for a twistier, fun route even if it'll take you a couple hours more. Just my person suggestion. I hate being stuck on the autobahn going dead straight for hours. I prefer taking the country road even if it'll mean a few hours more to get to wherever I want to go.

Whatever you choose, the wrr will deliver no problem thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 4:00 pm

If you have a stock gas tank.....you'll be stopping for gas about once an hour. Think 40-50 mpg tops at interstate speeds of 75mph.

It won't have to go "that far, that fast".

And yes - a member here named Skierd has traversed the entire USofA twice at least now.

200-300 miles is nothing.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Krabill

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 5:39 pm

It'll do fine for a 300 mile road trip.

Here's a link to my 3,300 mile road trip -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595729
Back to top Go down
alo0012

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back I was confident that the wr could do it but just wanted some opinions from some people who have actually done it
Back to top Go down
skierd

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:27 am

As said above the bike will do it just fine. You'll enjoy staying off the interstate way more but a couple hundred slab miles is nothing for the bike. Just make sure you stay hydrated; wear at least a 2L camelbak full of ice water and make sure you drink it between gas stops with the heat you guys get in Texas in summer. Soaking yourself and jacket and head in cold water before riding off between stops helps a ton too.
Back to top Go down
shep546

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:36 am

skierd wrote:
As said above the bike will do it just fine. You'll enjoy staying off the interstate way more but a couple hundred slab miles is nothing for the bike. Just make sure you stay hydrated; wear at least a 2L camelbak full of ice water and make sure you drink it between gas stops with the heat you guys get in Texas in summer. Soaking yourself and jacket and head in cold water before riding off between stops helps a ton too.

Excuse my ignorance but I'm from Canada and don't experience super heat, but I've ridden in 104degree heat here and I can't see how you could sweat that much while being on a road trip? Or do you mean while stopping for gas etc.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:23 am

shep546 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but I'm from Canada and don't experience super heat, but I've ridden in 104degree heat here and I can't see how you could sweat that much while being on a road trip? Or do you mean while stopping for gas etc.

You will sweat a lot wearing full gear in the heat. Many of us ride in jacket, riding pants, boots, gloves, helmet. No jeans and t-shirts for me unless it's just a quick ride around the block or the 1/4 mile ride to grab a drink for lunch while at work or something similar.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am

Buy ALL perforated stuff and it helps. Even still, a good perforated setup is no match for 100+. In the summer, I commute in a little less than ATGATT. Jacket and helmet always of course, but there reaches a point where I would just plain smell to bad in the office if I wore any more lol.

A road trip though I would go ahead and wear all of it as no one is going to tell me I stink at the end. Maybe even wear no shirt under my perforated jacket.
Back to top Go down
skierd

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:03 pm

shep546 wrote:
skierd wrote:

You can and will sweat a bunch if you're outside in 100+ degree heat all day witu no shelter from the sun... you just wont notice since the heat is evaporating the sweat as soon as it appears. Its also real easy to overheat regardless of how much you drink in a bike in that kind of heat since your skin stays dry despite fluid loss, hence the soaking yourself with water. I've had heat stroke once and heat exhaustion a couple times, nothing im looking forward to doing again nor do i wish it on anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Nanabijou

Nanabijou

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 4:37 pm

I completed a 1600 KM (1000 mile) roadtrip that included some camping this past May. For all the details, photos, and my setup, see the link below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795225&highlight=1600

Mike
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Krabill's UP trip   road trip? EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Sorry, but you can't ride the WRR / WRX long distance. Pretty good toy for around town though!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595729

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767414
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

road trip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: road trip?   road trip? Empty

Back to top Go down

road trip?
Page 1 of 1