Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Noob Q's

Go down 
+9
TurbStLCards
Delta_T
Arkmage
oic0
mucker
bigg
Coop
motokid
shake1tup
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pokey

Pokey

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 pm

YUMMY!!!!!!

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/748
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Swagger wrote:
shake1tup wrote:

I've looked at other options, but everything given (looks, performance, maintenance) in the order of my priorities, I came down to the WRR or the sxv.
poser2

freaky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 9:34 pm

From what I've heard so far, you would love the wrr.
Its a street bike, that could easily pull duty as a dedicated dirt bike.
The available power is more than I hoped for....only a dedicated dirt bike would be better at play...and only by so much...with the sacrifices.
If you want a bike to ride the shit right out of, and test some limits...
...I fully recommend the wrr....I'ld have to think a bit about my second choice.

...I'm on my 2nd season, and am determined to keep it forever :)...even as my bros just got a cbrf4...I may want other bikes...but for me, its a keeper.
Back to top Go down
shake1tup

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 am

Took one out (wrr) for a test ride today. Impressive for what it is and the only issue I have with it is the seat height. It's ridiculously high. Even knocking off an inch with the custom seat wouldn't be quite enough.

Am I out of options here for the WRR or is there anything I can do to accommodate it? Or make it accommodate me without messing with it's physics (sacrificing performance for a lower seat)?

It's such a great bike and this is me saying that after a 45 minute ride on one.

If for whatever reason I cannot work with the WRR, will the X do what the R can do? And with the X, am I able to slap on some dirt tires without raising the seat height?

Edit: Looking at the X section as I type this, looks like dirt tire compatible (yay!) but I still wonder whether or not that will affect seat height. I guess that would be the deal breaker.

btw, thanks for all of the helpful posts & resources on here. Very helpful thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:34 am

wr250r seat height : 36.6 in

wr250x seat height : 35.2 in

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 am

You can put in a lowering link which gives you the option to lower it quite substantially, but as you say, you don't want to mess with the bike geometry.

how tall are you?
I'm not exactly the tallest either but after enough time on the saddle you will get used to the height. Also riding boots are usually a couple cm taller than just standard sneakers so that can make a difference as well. Also first become fully comfortable with the height on the road before taking it off road. in the beginning I too was having trouble with the height at sloped intersections and stuff, but now I feel like the bike could even be a few cm taller and it wouldn't be a problem thumb feel fully comfortable with the height.

off road I have taken a couple of falls because I couldn't manage to get my foot down at some weird slopes, but the solution to that is to keep moving wink
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 6:57 am

I have a Spiral Step Seat I'll sell to anyone who wants it.

It'll drop you down about 1 inch closer to the ground without any changes to suspension or geometry of bike. wink

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:43 am

shake1tup wrote:
...Am I out of options here for the WRR or is there anything I can do to accommodate it? Or make it accommodate me without messing with it's physics (sacrificing performance for a lower seat)?

I will quote myself from a few posts earlier: dunno
Delta_T wrote:
The seat hight of an R is 36.6" and the X is 35.2" So if you want a low seat hight, the X is your best bet. The bikes are identical except for the wheels and the front brake (bigger on the X).
The X is lower because it has 17" wheels (with street tires). If you want to lower it even further you can adjust the rear shock and you could consider a Yamalink. You can also raise the front fork 18 mm (so the bike goes down a bit).
If you want to use the X in the dirt a lot the only problem you will have is finding decent tires. Choices are limited when you have 17" rims.

So an X +
1) Shock adjust
2) Yamalink
3) Raise fork
That should be more the enough to accomodate a smaller driver.
Add motokid's seat and you're pretty much as low as you can go.
I'm 5'9 and I don't need a lower seat.

Putting dirt tires on it might raise the bike a bit and throw you speedo off even more. (and I don't mean your swimsuit)
Back to top Go down
deerHater

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:13 am

bigg wrote:
how tall are you?
I'm not exactly the tallest either but after enough time on the saddle you will get used to the height. Also riding boots are usually a couple cm taller than just standard sneakers so that can make a difference as well. Also first become fully comfortable with the height on the road before taking it off road. in the beginning I too was having trouble with the height at sloped intersections and stuff, but now I feel like the bike could even be a few cm taller and it wouldn't be a problem thumb feel fully comfortable with the height.

off road I have taken a couple of falls because I couldn't manage to get my foot down at some weird slopes, but the solution to that is to keep moving wink
I agree on all the above point.

Data reference: I am 5' 7"
With many, many years of riding experience I no problems with the X height.
I now have R wheels too, and I have to be quite careful, but it's completely manageable! thumb

Another WR250R alternative if ca$h is plentiful:

http://www.ktm.com/ca-en/enduro/350excfusa.html

But it's even taller!

More HP, less weight, more $$, more maintenance (but maybe less than Aprilia 550?)
Back to top Go down

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 12:43 pm

deerHater wrote:
...Another WR250R alternative if ca$h is plentiful:
http://www.ktm.com/ca-en/enduro/350excfusa.html...

If power and wheelies is the goal, I would recommend the KTM 500 EXC or the Husaberg FE570. They are lighter than the WRR and have over 2x the HP. Although they do require more maintenance than the WRR, they aren't time bombs either.

Another option would be the KTM690. It doesn't have the power to weight ratio of the 500's, but would be more comfortable on the street.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 1:08 pm

deerHater wrote:
...Another WR250R alternative if ca$h is plentiful:
http://www.ktm.com/ca-en/enduro/350excfusa.html...
Noob Q's - Page 2 Ktm

+ $250.00 Freight + $125.00 PDI + 13% HST, that's almost $ 12.500 Canadian eeek

Plentiful cash; you've got that right.
Back to top Go down
shake1tup

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:54 am

The WRX is already looking much more attractive to me because of the price, seat height and fuel injection. Anything else listed is either quite aways up there in price, too high (seat) or isn't fuel injection.

Again, I have to thank everyone for their input with this. Thanks for suggesting alternatives and making suggestions of that sort. I don't have much exposure to dual sports or off road bikes so I am very happy to be educated with the array of choices I can make.

I'll probably pick up a wrX at the end of the month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noob Q's   Noob Q's - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Noob Q's
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2