Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock front sprocket cook your chain?

Go down 
+2
Heoz
oic0
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Stock front sprocket cook your chain? Empty
PostSubject: Stock front sprocket cook your chain?   Stock front sprocket cook your chain? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm not a chain maintenance saint, I lube it every few months or so, but at 8k miles my stock chain had some majorly stiff spots in it. It was also rubbed shiny and a little flat on the bottom of every link, but my sliders all look purty, it looks like it was contact with the rubber on the stock sprocket, is that possible? also would that added friction cook the chain? also the stock front sprocket would sqeek like crazy under engine braking :/
It doesn't matter much to me now as I have aftermarket front, rear, and chain on it, all of which are very silent except for a slight metal and metal standard chain noise, I was just wondering if it was the stock sprocket that killed my stock chain? or my lax chain care?
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket cook your chain?   Stock front sprocket cook your chain? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Stock front sprocket on mine and I can't recall it ever squealing under engine braking. Perhaps it would have squealed if I didn't lube so often. Any chance it's a 2008 and it had the stock rear sprocket that has rubber on it? Those tend to make some racket if they get dry.

Just to be safe, slide your finger along the bottom of the lower part of the slider from right behind the front sprocket. The lower front of it might look fine but the chain may have dug in about an inch or so back and be chewing into the swingarm. Should be easy to feel if it's worn through.

Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket cook your chain?   Stock front sprocket cook your chain? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm

That squeak is the stock sprockets and that stupid rubber gasket. I cut that off after 1000 miles or so and never regretted it.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket cook your chain?   Stock front sprocket cook your chain? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:59 am

I don't know in what conditions you ride and how often, but I lube my chain once a week since I use it for commuting in all sorts of weather. So far I haven't noticed anything wrong with the chain at 7.5k miles with stock chain and sprockets. Seems that keeping the chain well lubed also keeps the noise of the rubber gaskets in check, as I hardly notice any noise dunno
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket cook your chain?   Stock front sprocket cook your chain? EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Had the exact same thing happen to me. My chain was digging into the swingarm just aft of the front sprocket. The slider looked fine, only because I couldn't compare it to a new one, which is day and night different.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket cook your chain?   Stock front sprocket cook your chain? EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:03 am

FYI, my replacement chain shows the same shiney spots on the bottom of every link. I surmised that it's from the sliders since I don't have any rubber sprockets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket cook your chain?   Stock front sprocket cook your chain? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock front sprocket cook your chain?
Page 1 of 1