Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I'm I not thinking straight??

Go down 
+4
oic0
mucker
Vinduroman
BoredAzHell20
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BoredAzHell20

I'm I not thinking straight?? Empty
PostSubject: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm considering selling my wr250x with R wheels to get an Aprila SXV550? Am I nuts?

That Aprila is super sexy, but I do not know anything about them.

My buddy rides a husqvarna 610sm and that thing is a blast, but only heard horror stories about them. I wonder if the same goes for the Aprila.

EDIT: I am crazy. Just saw the maintenance schedule for the sucker. I do like working on my toys, but not every single time I want to ride it. Wow... it is pretty ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 11:04 pm

IF you want to play with sexy babes, expect sophisticated tastes to go along with them. They're not easy keepers. That's just a fact of life.

And, holding with the sexy babe analogy, just remember what is said about sexy babe women: "No matter how hot she looks, someone, somewhere, it tired of her sh*t."

I really thought about buying a KTM 350 EXC-F. Sexy indeed. More grunt, lighter... you get the idea. BUT... there was the F Factor* to contend with. So, I chose to go with a dependable bike that wasn't "all that"... but would do what I want to do without being a hard keeper in the process.

So far, I think I've made the right decision.

BTW, the other night I stopped by the KTM forum at Thumper Talk... seems the new 350 EXC-F is having issues. One guy has less than 6 hours on his and has had seal failure and other assorted problems. Another guy burned his up due to a lean issue that he wasn't aware of. And so it goes...

* F Factor = Fiddle Factor

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Vinduroman
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Something to be said about a low maintenance braud...I mean bike, that's in for the long haul...i think they're called keepers.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 1:46 am

KTM 690 is a touch less racy than the aprillia, BUT its still about the same weight as our WRs with twice the horsepower. Will smoke your friends 610 and be more reliable to boot. Its got twice the maintenance of the WR but is still low enough maintenance to be an every day rider. For my next bike I want either that or the street triple R
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 8:36 am

In another thread it was pointed out that the Aprilia is HIGH maintenance. Unless you like working on your bike a lot I would reconsider.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:42 am

BoredAzHell20 wrote:
EDIT: I am crazy. Just saw the maintenance schedule for the sucker. I do like working on my toys, but not every single time I want to ride it. Wow... it is pretty ridiculous.

Coop wrote:
In another thread it was pointed out that the Aprilia is HIGH maintenance. Unless you like working on your bike a lot I would reconsider.

deal deal

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
dewtwo

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 am

YOUR THINKIN PLUM CRAZY!!!!! dutch
You have both sets of wheels for the most versatile, trouble free bike made to date!
If you can afford to add bikes to your collection, that's one thing, but I'm betting you'd
be sorry if you sold the Yamaha for any big D/S.
I've owed an XL600, ATK 605, a Berg, and a 690 amoung the other 25 or so bikes.
I like this WRR best of the D/S bikes.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:39 am

I've been leaning heavily towards the 690 as my next toy. What did you dislike about it compared to the 250?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 12:16 pm

I think we need full disclosure here when talking about getting rid of the wr250 for something "bigger".

My guess is those of us who truly pine for a KTM/HUSKY/APRILIA are not so much "dual sporters" and much MUCH more Motarders. We're sportbike riders on "dirtbikes".

As in - we spend 98% of the time flogging molly down asphalt twisties and terrorizing harley riders and sportbike riders with our BBBRRRRRRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP-in-ass 'dirt bikes".....

I doubt the guy who has 1000's of acres of desert and single track within an hour of their house is really wishing for a 690 or Aprilia.

Somebody like me who lives in a concrete/asphalt jungle, where 99.999999999% of any open land is privately owned and marked "NO Trespassing", is much more likely to desire that extra hit in the pants when the throttle is twisted to the stops.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 12:51 pm

I do agree on that. More power is often just a pain in the ass in the woods. I prefer my WR over my lighter KX in single track and rough trails. The motor is super compliant and because its weaker it has a much lighter clutch. The 500 makes my RSI act up and one wrong twitch of the throttle from hitting a tree root etc... above 3000 rpms will make you slide off the seat if you aren't hanging on for dear life. Keep the rpms low its a pussycat... but you're eventually going to stall it and kicking it sucks. The WR is a darn good dirt bike. The only place I found it lacking was on trails with monster ruts you had to catwalk around. The weight (and money I owe on it) made it scary.
Back to top Go down
dewtwo

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 1:50 pm

motokid wrote:
I think we need full disclosure here when talking about getting rid of the wr250 for something "bigger".

My guess is those of us who truly pine for a KTM/HUSKY/APRILIA are not so much "dual sporters" and much MUCH more Motarders. We're sportbike riders on "dirtbikes".

As in - we spend 98% of the time flogging molly down asphalt twisties and terrorizing harley riders and sportbike riders with our BBBRRRRRRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP-in-ass 'dirt bikes".....

I doubt the guy who has 1000's of acres of desert and single track within an hour of their house is really wishing for a 690 or Aprilia.

Somebody like me who lives in a concrete/asphalt jungle, where 99.999999999% of any open land is privately owned and marked "NO Trespassing", is much more likely to desire that extra hit in the pants when the throttle is twisted to the stops.

Gotcha!!!
Back to top Go down
dewtwo

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:21 pm

oic0 wrote:
I've been leaning heavily towards the 690 as my next toy. What did you dislike about it compared to the 250?

Strickly in comparison between the 690 & WRR. Even though they claim an only 10 or 15 lb difference. The WRR carrys it much better. It feels 40 or 50 lbs lighter.
The unique chassis design of the 690 really limits the turning radius. If you ride tight single track, you will hate it. Also makes working on the bike a pain in the ass.
Not wild about the sub-frame fuel tank. Expanding capacity is pricey & complex.
Also, not that the 690 vibrates bad for a big single, but you sure appreciate a 250 after you've been riding big bores for a couple decades!

The WRR is so flickable!!!!!!!!
I'm having more fun riding!!!!!!!!!

Again, 65 mph is all I need on road, and I do some tight trails that are easier done on the WRR.
It's hills & rocks here!

If your riding roads & fireroads, nothing to tight, the 690 has power!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:02 pm

From a reliability standpoint, the SXV APE doesn't have a very good reputation...
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Update on the KTM 350 EXC-F I almost purchased instead of a WR250R...

Another KTM 350 EXC-F user showed up at the Thumper Talk forum: His has locked up after 5 hours use.

In regards to my decision to purchase the WR250R instead of the KTM:

I no longer think I made the right decision... I KNOW I've made the right decision.

Vinduroman
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:18 pm

But you realize that's not normal right ?

Something went wrong there somehow...

IOW: Don't make an exception a rule.

Regardless... He's sorry. You're not.

Sux2Bhim....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm I not thinking straight??   I'm I not thinking straight?? Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm I not thinking straight??
Page 1 of 1