Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New to GPS needing advice

Go down 
+4
BuilderBob
Coop
mucker
thorfox
8 posters
AuthorMessage
thorfox

New to GPS needing advice Empty
PostSubject: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:15 am

I am about to change up my gearing ratio on my 08 wrx and i figured id take the money i would of spent on a speedo corrector and add a GPS to track my speed accurately and use the navigation feature.

so which GPS is best for city navigation and tracking speed with respect to price and ease of install. I am not electrically savvy at all, but i can follow directions.

also which mount would I get? i want it as low profile as possible.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:39 am

The garmin nuvi I use for work will display speed/statistics.
It finds my address about 50% of the time...I could guess as well as it searches.
Though I rarely service urban.
It seems sluggish at times...I wouldnt trust the speedo readout...probably records a better average, rather than current speed.
Though it will display a current speed...

My truck is also equipped with gps locator and software to track me...certain "top speeds" and stuff dont seem to agree with what thebgarmin says.
So I'm not sure who to believe, and when to believe it.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 6:09 am

Install one of THESE and it will give you a convenient place for a GPS, phone charger on long trips, etc.

I have been using a Garmin Nuvi205 for a few years. I don't recommend it for city riding. Seems to lose satellites in the city leaving you guessing where to go LOL.
Back to top Go down
thorfox

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:31 am

Coop wrote:
Install one of THESE and it will give you a convenient place for a GPS, phone charger on long trips, etc.

I have been using a Garmin Nuvi205 for a few years. I don't recommend it for city riding. Seems to lose satellites in the city leaving you guessing where to go LOL.

ooOOOooo... this will make my selection much easier, thank you sir bow .
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 5:27 am

Go here to find a mount for just about anything you'd want to put on your bike.

I have a Garmin Zumo 550. Pretty pricey, but it has a lot of motorcycle specific features that you wont find on other units.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 3:24 pm

thorfox wrote:
ooOOOooo... this will make my selection much easier, thank you sir bow .

You're welcome and good luck in your search and be sure to let us know what you decide on and how you like it.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm rolling with a garmin dakota 20.

If I had to do it again I'd get the garmin colorado... it's the same thing but with a slightly longer screen so the speed and distance to turn tags don't take up all of the map screen.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 am

I have a Garmin Zumo 660. Works good on a bike and is weather proof. I also use it on a snowmobile in the winter. Like builderbob said, they have motorcycle specific features, like a tracking function which is nice off road and a fuel gauge.

New to GPS needing advice Zumo2
Back to top Go down
glorp

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:40 am

i run with a legend hcx on my bike, small but cheap and i try not to look at it too much while riding. whatever you get (hopefully garmin) spend the extra 80 and get a lifetime maps upgrade. i regret not getting it when i bought mine, my car one i have it
Back to top Go down
JeepDave

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 2:08 am

I change my gearing back and forth so the SpeedoDRD was a necessity because I didn't want my ODO to be way off
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to GPS needing advice   New to GPS needing advice Empty

Back to top Go down

New to GPS needing advice
Page 1 of 1