Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tube troubles

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
inspector

inspector

Tube troubles Empty
PostSubject: Tube troubles   Tube troubles EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 11:35 pm

My rear valve stem sheared off at 70mph today. Nobody would stop and help me. My riding buddies left me.

*Ok, that's not the whole story.

The short story:
Ass end got all wiggle on me so I pulled off (freaked me out really, if I had been in more of a corner would have gone down). My two riding buddies where in front of me...pretty soon long gone. I assessed the situation. Flat rear. The tire was so hot, could hardly even touch it. Grabbed the exhaust to prop the bike up on the kickstand so I could turn the rear and look for nails. Yes you heard me...the exhaust. Didn't take long to let go of that quick!
Waited around for someone to come back, when they didn't, called one and left a sad, sad message, "why did you leave me? Don't you guys like me? I have a flat. Come back for me!!" Called my wife to tell her I would be late. Then started to tackle the tire change.
Took the tire off, layed the bike down, changed out the tube, and pumped it back up. Half way through my buddy called and said he would come back (30miles up the street). I heard him coming and stood up to wave. Waved to him as he kept on riding by me. He called awhile later asking where the hell I was. This whole time at least 20 other bikers had passed by me. Not a single one stopped. Give me a FUCKING break. My bike is laying on the ground and I'm hunched over on the side. I had on cager stop and offer assistance. I thanked him like never before, but sent him on his way.

I could have done everything myself..except for the stupid brake calipers kept closing and coming out of the groove. Another biker finally stopped (coolest guy ever) and helped. We had to disassemble the brake pads and re-assemble them in the groove. They popped out once and had to do it all over. Finally got it and off we went. There has got to be a trick to this. Need help there.

*there is probably more to the store and I have a few questions...but that's it for now.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

Tube troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tube troubles   Tube troubles EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 12:01 am

sorry about your trouble,but you were able to repair it and go on...good job.
gotta ask you ...are you using rim locks? if not...get some and end that stuff from happening again.

and i did the same thing just the other day on grabbing the exhaust myself.... baldy
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

Tube troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tube troubles   Tube troubles EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 12:06 am

Friends like that who needs enemies? dddog

inspector

Tube troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tube troubles   Tube troubles EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 12:19 am

Both of the guys are really good guys. Don't really know what happened there.

I actually do have 2 rimlocks sitting in my garage. I just don't think it should be necessary to use them. I know people that use them...I know more that don't. I'm hoping that it was a fluke. When I checked my tire pressure before I left, it was WAY low. Maybe a slow leak out of the valve stem?

Maybe a poll of what people think?

*I may try to not use them one more time (haven't decided yet). If it happens again, I will definitly install some.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

Tube troubles Empty
PostSubject: Just my Opinion   Tube troubles EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 6:19 pm

inspector wrote:
Both of the guys are really good guys. Don't really know what happened there.

I actually do have 2 rim locks sitting in my garage. I just don't think it should be necessary to use them. I know people that use them...I know more that don't. I'm hoping that it was a fluke. When I checked my tire pressure before I left, it was WAY low. Maybe a slow leak out of the valve stem?

Maybe a poll of what people think?

*I may try to not use them one more time (haven't decided yet). If it happens again, I will definitely install some.

I think rim locks are a waste of time and weight on the R², if you run the tire low long enough yes it will twist on the rim but the rim locks are an over kill, ruin the ride, make the tires run like a bouncing ball and since I have had several flats on my bike not once was it due to the tire moving on the rim. I run 22 rear 18 front with 606's and it is perfect! Put in a new tube and ride! I have over 7,000 miles on my R² and about half is on pavement. Rides smooth as glass and is a mean little bike in the dirt. Best darn dual sport going.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Tube troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tube troubles   Tube troubles EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 am

Anyone have problems with keeping the psi in the tires after a couple of days just sitting there? Mine seem to go flat, at least the front was this time. Rode 312 miles no problems. Let it sit for a day and a half and it was around 10psi. Maybe I should just change the valve stem insert thingy?
Back to top Go down

Tube troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tube troubles   Tube troubles EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 10:53 am

I have noticed that on some of my other bikes and just bikes in general... I feel it is really important to ALWAYS check the air pressures before I ride! It may simply be that there is much less air in a MC tube and atmospheric and weather changes will affect that small amount of air more. Not sure but I am really anal about air pressure and my air guages as well...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tube troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tube troubles   Tube troubles Empty

Back to top Go down

Tube troubles
Page 1 of 1