Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wr ronin

Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model Empty
PostSubject: Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model   Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 8:26 pm

While the stock tank / Rotopax setup has worked well for me on my local rides, I am planning some longer trips with the WR and so I decided to install a bigger tank. After reading lots of threads I settled on the Safari 3.7 tank. Apparently there was a manufacturing error on some tanks earlier this year so the new crop of tanks just recently arrived at Justgastanks.com and I picked up one in natural. There are a variety of threads both here and on Thumper Talk about this tank and install (thanks to Ixta, 10cup, ed29 and others), but various parts of the install seem to be spread among them. I like lots of pictures of installs so I decided to put this together while doing mine. Maybe someone else will find this helpful too. If you disagree with a step I performed, please let me know and I will try to reconcile the pics / info.

I have a 2011 California model WR so some steps will not be needed if you have a 49 state model or have already performed a cannisterectomy. My bike also has other common mods such as AIS removal that will be noted during my description.

Start out by removing the left and right front shrouds, and seat, exposing the stock tank.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010001-L

The California model bike also has a fuel overflow on the left lower front of the tank here.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010002-L

Next remove the rear tank bracket bolts (5mm allen).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010003-L

Then the single front bracket bolt (5mm allen).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010004-L

Also remove the seat post (phillips).
The Safari tank was well packaged and came with the tank, left shroud, instructions and a couple small parts. Make sure to blow out any plastic fragments with a compressor from the inside of the tank prior to install.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010008-L

Cal model only: Next, disconnect the fuel line overflow on the left lower tank. Pinch the spring clamp and pull the line down and off.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010010-L
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010011-L

This is the line that goes down to the charcoal canister, so if you have removed the canister this step will be not be necessary.

Last edited by wr ronin on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
wr ronin

PostSubject: Safari tank install - part 2   Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Now the tank can be tipped up exposing the bottom of the fuel pump.
The electrical connection is a simple quick disconnect.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010012-L

Obviously before you remove the fuel line it helps to have the tank as empty as possible, and have some rags under the line as a small amount of fuel will likely drip out.
To remove the fuel line, push down on the orange plastic cover to fully expose the blue buttons.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010014-L

With the buttons exposed, push in on the blue buttons on either side and pull the fuel line loose.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010015-L

The bottom of the tank (now free) looks like this. My thumb is up at the fuel line overflow (Cal model).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010017-L

At this point I removed the front and back brackets from the stock tank and mounted them on the Safari tank. The Safari tank has brass inserts for all its bolt attachments, and Safari recommends coating all bolts with anti-seize compound prior to installation.
Rear bracket mounted (8 mm socket, 7 Nm torque, anti-seize - 2 bolts).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010018-L

Front bracket mounted (8 mm socket, 7 Nm torque, anti-seize - 2 bolts).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010019-L

Next, remove the metal ring that holds the fuel pump in the stock tank (3mm allen - 6 bolts).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010020-L

The stock fuel pump looks like this (note the rubber gasket ring at the bottom has been removed in this pic).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010021-L

Now install the small metal bracket (relief valve baffle) that Safari supplies with the tank. It goes here at the top of the fuel pump and helps keep fuel distributed to the small pool in the Safari tank that the fuel pump sits in. It is just zip-tied in position (Safari includes a couple zip-ties).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010022-L

Next, I decided to move the fuel sensor down a bit on the pump as described by other installers. This decreases the amount of fuel left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on. The sensor can just be carefully pulled loose from its brackets and then zip-tied in a lower position as shown. There is no need to do anything to the stock wires.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010023-L

Reach into the Safari tank and pull out the auxiliary pump fuel line. This is the short open ended line, not the long lines that go down into the bottom of each wing.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010025-L

The goal is to have this line sit in the pick up point for fuel on the fuel pump which is the low trough here.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010026-L

Zip tie the auxiliary line in place so that it distributes fuel to the right place.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010027-L

Last edited by wr ronin on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wr ronin

PostSubject: Safari tank install - part 3   Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:28 pm

The fuel pump assembly can now be attached to the Safari tank. Take care at this point to ensure that the rubber gasket ring is in position at the bottom of the fuel pump. It has three little tabs that help you make sure it is put in correctly but you need to make sure it stays in position as you slide the fuel pump into the Safari tank. The fuel pump is held in by the stock metal ring. The spacing of the holes only allows the pump to fit in one way (the fuel line faces the front of the tank as shown). 3mm allen, 4 Nm torque, anti-seize - 6 bolts.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010028-L

At this point its a good idea to test fit the tank in the bike and see if there are any conflicts with other parts. I have a Flatlands Racing radiator guard and it was rubbing the left inner tank wing. I bent the top corner of the guard but was still getting contact with the tank here.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010029-L

I addressed this with a piece of 1/4" adhesive backed neoprene (I have lots of this stuff from years outfitting whitewater kayaks).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010030-L

I may eventually replace this guard with a different brand. Apparently the Force brand guard clears this tank fine.

Next, you need to power the auxiliary via the vacuum line that comes out the rear of the Safari tank. Safari includes a T fitting and suggests you tap into an existing vacuum line. However, if you have already removed the AIS, the better solution is to use that vacuum point. You can refer to the many AIS removal threads for more info, but the AIS line plugs into the engine at this point, seen at the end of the yellow zip-tie as viewed straight down from above the engine.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010031-L

You can reuse this line from the AIS assembly.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010032-L

Plug the bent end of this hose into the brass nipple on the engine as seen here (in the same view as above).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010033-L

Rout the other end of this hose out under the frame cross piece here. I have added a 90 degree fitting on the end (available at auto parts stores). This helps keep the line from getting kinked.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010034-L

Now you can set the Safari tank in position and connect the electrical plug and the fuel line. Make sure to push the fuel line all the way on and also push the orange lock bracket back up into position.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010035-L

Set the Safari tank down into final position and attach the vacuum line From the tank to the 90 degree attachment by the frame crossbar.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010036-L

On the Cal model, you can now attach the gas cap overflow tube to the line on the front left that runs down to the charcoal canister. This is the same line you that used to attach to the lower left of the stock tank. It can be attached with a straight fitting (auto parts store).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010037-L

If you have a 49 state bike or have already removed the canister, this step is obviously unnecessary. I may eventually remove the canister and just go with a short vent tube.
Back to top Go down
wr ronin

PostSubject: Safari tank install - part 4   Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Attach the rear tank bracket to the bike frame (5mm allen, 10 Nm torque, 2 bolts).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010038-L

Attach the front tank bracket to the bike (5mm allen, 10 Nm torque).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010039-L

Attach the seat post. (phillips, 7 Nm toque, anti-seize)
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010041-L

Install the supplied left shroud cover (5mm allen, 2 bolts).
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010040-L

Check for leaks, reinstall the seat, and enjoy.
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010052-L
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010051-L
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010053-L
Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model P1010054-L

So far the tank has worked well. I chose the natural color so I could easily keep track of how much gas is left. I put a couple marks with a sharpie at the 1 gallon and 2 gallon position. I got right around 3.5 gallons into this tank from empty.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model   Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 10:13 pm

Looks great, nice write up too!

I put an IMS 3.1 on my bike immediately after buying it in March. After commuting the last several months and a few bike trips, I am wishing I bought a bigger tank LOL.
Back to top Go down
wr ronin

PostSubject: Re: Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model   Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Yeah the 3.5 will work on my local rides, but I have a long Utah trip coming up. I'm leaving the Rotopax mounts on my Wolfman rack and I'm going to carry an extra gallon of gas on the left mount. I figure 4.5 gallons should just about cover things. If I need more Ill just siphon it from my friend's fuel tanker / KLR. wink
I think I'll use the right Rotopax mount to carry an extra gallon of water.
Back to top Go down
TierHawg

PostSubject: Re: Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model   Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 am

I too just installed a new Safari 3.7 tank. Had to wait abit after that bad batch. Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model 342500

The install was easy but I took my time. I forgot to lower my fuel level sensor, and will just plan to refuel around 160 miles. Had a mishap with the pump gasket and spilled some fuel on my first attempt to mount the tank. scratch Glad I only added a small amount of fuel to check everything out.

Have the Flatland Racing radiator guard and did a couple of things different to get it to clear. The tank rested against the guard at the upper corner. I used a thick nylon washer under the front tank bolt and raised the tank about 5 mm. This cleared the radiator guard until I installed the left-side shroud cover. The left cover pulled the tank to the left and brought it into the upper corner of the radiator guard. I used a dremel tool and cut away the upper corner where it was touching. A few trial fittings, and I radius-ed the corner down and sanding it smooth. The tank doesn't touch now, but it can flex into the guard. I used a small piece of door edge guard over the radiator guards edge. Now if it touches, it will be plastic to plastic, not metal to plastic. I'll still keep an eye on the area to make sure my trim job is enough to prevent damage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model   Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari 3.7 install with pics - Cal model
Page 1 of 1