Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First time bike owner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
D J

First time bike owner Empty
PostSubject: First time bike owner   First time bike owner EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Hello everyone, kinda new around here but really new to a bike.
My WRX is my first bike I purchased it with 1300miles it currently has 9500m.
The only thing I have to done to it maintenece wise is buy a tire and oil changes. I'm about to do a sprocket/ chain change and go 13/48. With a standard 520 rk 114link chain, and install my speedo corrector.

My question is what else should to I do maintenance wise?

I plan to change wheel bearings and swing arm bearings hopefully when I change my tires in a couple thousands miles.
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: First time bike owner   First time bike owner EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 am

The first item that comes to mind is to service the air filter. Probably in dire need if it hasn't been touched in 8k miles.

Check the chain slider click me

I'm sure you'll get more suggestions, those just came to mind off the top.

And congratulations on the bike!

Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: First time bike owner   First time bike owner EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Rear brake pad pin; clean, lube. I've only got about 7k miles on mine and it was already showing signs of wear.

With only 9000 miles you likely don't need to replace the swingarm bearings, including linkage. A disassembly and regrease is quite overdue though. No way to tell though until you get in there.

There's a link to a .pdf version of the service manual stickied at the top of this subforum. I'd get that downloaded and read about periodic maintenance section.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: First time bike owner   First time bike owner EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 6:54 pm

A general clean and lube of all pivots wouldnt hurt, like...levers, kickstand...myb clean/lube the clutch cable too.

Take some time to just go over things like seat bolts,licence plate and really every bolt you can, to look for looseness.

Look in places you normally dont check or see easily, just in case you come across something out of order.

Check your tire pressure.
Back to top Go down
D J

PostSubject: Re: First time bike owner   First time bike owner EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 2:17 am

Would you guys get a k&n filter? I am attempting my chain/sprockets change.
Any tips? I know I need to take two links out of my chain.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: First time bike owner   First time bike owner EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 6:35 am

From what I have heard you can get a less restrictive filter...but the stock filter is a very good/tough filter. My bike gets dirty alot, so I seem to want better filtration, over less restriction....just my limited opinion.

And make sure your bolts match your sprocket...flat or tapered... i forget which is stock.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: First time bike owner   First time bike owner EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Stock air filter is fine as long as you clean it often. I ride in lots of dust so I clean mine twice a week. Takes 15min but makes a big difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time bike owner   First time bike owner Empty

Back to top Go down

First time bike owner
Page 1 of 1