Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New member from Karratha, Western Australia...

Go down 
+4
WRRSam
inspector
motokid
lancek
8 posters
AuthorMessage
lancek

New member from Karratha, Western Australia... Empty
PostSubject: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 am

Well I joined the club today, arrived home from work with a brand spanker in the driveway. Cant ride it yet as I wont have a helmet for another 2 weeks (when I return from an overseas holiday), cant believe how frustrating that is!!

Anyway we have heaps of tracks and places to explore - I see some of them are mentioned in this forum, and I just cant wait to get out and enjoy it!

Was reading through the manual and I do have a question for you all, as mine has 0 kilometers on it and it says 1/3 throttle for the first 1000km's and then 1/2 for the following 600km's - how on earth do you guys adhere to that?

Havent ridden for 14 years so the next couple of months are going to be fun!

Cheers
Lance
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 7:58 am

There are many different theories on "the best way to break-in a new engine".

My only advice would be to avoid prolonged periods at any set rpm.

Without a tachometer it's tough to know where you are in the rev band when your giggling like a school girl on your new toy.

Welcome to the club.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 9:53 am

^^what he said

*Welcome, HI!

*My very first bike I bought they didn't have the helmet I wanted in stock. 8 days of waiting was just cruel. lol
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 4:12 am

Welcome, It's good to have another West Aussie on the forum.
I'am from Albany.
Back to top Go down
Notsolegit

Notsolegit

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 4:56 am

Welcome mate, +1 to the aussie's joining !!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 am

Australians get white plastics as a standard option on the WR's right?

Wonder if somebody in the import/export world could work a deal with you guys to get cheaper white plastics into the US???? wink

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 9:08 am

Welcome to the pack! thumb As Moto mentioned, people have different ways of breaking in their bikes. I just got on mine and rode it. The key is to just vary your RMP's while you ride...oh and if you end up with a sore face, it's from grinning...side effect of owning the bike. Very happy

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Welcome to the group mate. It was over 20 year since I rode last, so I know where you're coming from. Don't worry, it's like a bicycle, you never forget how to ride. just be careful for the first month or so until you get used to it. Especially riding on the street. I don't know about down under, but "up" here we have some idiots who for some reason can't see motorcycles when they drive.

As for the break in, just do what others have said. Keep the RPM varied and avoid WFO for a while. Change your oil and filter after a few hundred miles and then do regular changes after that. The first oil change is the most important one. Make sure you change the filter the first time too. You will be surprised at the amount of metal and crap in it after break-in.

I know it doesn't have a tach, (I added one to mine) but if you want an idea of what certain RPMs sounds like (with stock gearing), I have found that in 6th gear, you get close to the same speed as RPM. In other words, 6th gear at 50 MPH is = 5000 RPM, and 60 MPH = 6000 RPM, etc... Just something to go by so you can hear the RPM at certain speeds, then you will know what 5000 RPM sounds like and can judge the rest from there.

Sorry I don't do metric conversions. We Yanks like to be different than the rest of the world. I'm sure you will figure out how to convert my info.
Back to top Go down
Notsolegit

Notsolegit

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 4:05 am

motokid wrote:
Australians get white plastics as a standard option on the WR's right?

Wonder if somebody in the import/export world could work a deal with you guys to get cheaper white plastics into the US???? wink

Yeah mate, Wrr Come standard white, You can get a blue if requested. the x come black standard. :]
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 7:36 am

Hey guys great to hear from you all - well I have had the bike for 3 days now and its done 100 meters GAHHHH

But thats because I dont have a helmet and other protective gear yet and Im sitting in an airport with the family about to head off on holidays wings

So currently I am looking forward more to the holidays being over and returning with the gear I need to go riding!!!!

Karratha is very dusty and rocky so keeping the bike in decent condition is going to require some maintenance and I will search this forum for advice. Also with regards to helmets, I never bought one online as I guess you need to try them on in the flesh first. Can anyone recommend any good shops in or near the Brisbane CBD as I will be there for a few days on the way home and want to get helmet, boots and other protective gear.

Thanks again for all your support

Cheers
Lance
Back to top Go down
Notsolegit

Notsolegit

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 12:08 am

lancek wrote:
Can anyone recommend any good shops in or near the Brisbane CBD as I will be there for a few days on the way home and want to get helmet, boots and other protective gear.

Thanks again for all your support

Cheers
Lance
Lance, where in Brisbane are you staying? I know a Yamaha dealership at "Toombul" 5 mins from the airport mate. Thats where I brought my bike. Depends on where your resting your head, - north or south side of brisbane?

Let me know mate,
Travel Safe!

Cheers,
Luke.
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 4:17 am

HEy Luke I will be staying in the CBD so the family can go shopping - apparently they have lots to catch up on after living in Karratha for a while now :|

Wanting to buy the full compliment so any advice is appreciated.

So looking forward to getting home and going for a ride :)

Thanks

Lance
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 10:41 pm

Got the gear and been on the bike - 250k's over a weekend, nice and slow - which is really hard... bike should be run in from the shop :)

And as it should be, I fell off on my very first ride on the rocks, couple of scratches on the bike and some on me, cant say enough for the protective gear, absolute lifesaver - although if its the first time you have ever worn it - it sure feels a little funky!!!

I had forgotten how nice and free riding a bike feels, and even more so on such a fun and capable machine, Im 100kgs and its got no issue with my bulk, and Im yet to get past the run in stage... awesome... so happy!!!!

Now I just need to kit it out a little more for the remote areas we ride here

Cheers
Lance
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:58 pm

Welcome lancek, let us know how you "kit it out" your ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member from Karratha, Western Australia...   New member from Karratha, Western Australia... Empty

Back to top Go down

New member from Karratha, Western Australia...
Page 1 of 1