Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Things I hate about my WR250R

Go down 
+28
Cruiser_805
RimBenty
greer
john92
Dancamp
dc4stroke
adamoto
calico jack
Matty
xcel
yellowredlight
hughtwg
gatorfan
deerHater
M1A Rifleman
Medski
ArmyStrongMD
WRRSam
SheWolf
texascycle
gordo5
Twistagrip
flatboarder
skierd
MeefZah
dirtytrixx400
YZEtc
Jäger
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

things - Things I hate about my WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 2:35 am

Well, there's certainly lots of things to feel the love about, isn't there.

How about the design things you really don't like?

For me:

1. The seat. For long periods of sit down riding, that seat is an instrument of torture. I did nearly 300 miles the other day, putting along sitting down while trying to find my GPS in the grass alongside the road. By the time I was done, I was ready to dismount and push the bike. For rides when you're on the pegs more than you're sitting down, riding aggressively, not an issue. But for long tourist-y rides... ugly.
  2. No grab bars at the back. Trying to find something solid to grab on to at the back while dragging the rear wheel over a rock, out of a hole, or whatever is pretty annoying in the absence of a tail rack. I've managed to deal with this fairly well by making grab loops out of climbing harness webbing - just throw them through the rear tire in a prussick like fashion, stick your hand through the loop ski pole style, and lean into 'er. Nicer in some respects because you can adjust the height you're pulling from, and none of your effort is being put into working against the rear suspension. But you better not go anywhere before slipping those grab loops off... Climbing harness webbing makes awesome tow ropes for motorcycles, incidentally... Cheap at your local Mountain Co-op or REI.
  3. Seat height. A blessing and a curse for the inseam challenged. I like the height most of the time, but even with a Yamalink installed, I curse the height when I'm desperately trying to foot dab on an off camber piece of ground or need to do a little bit of paddling. I could crank in the Yamaha lowering as well... but then I'd lose some of the height I like. There's just no pleasing some people...
  4. Gas tank capacity. Yes, it keeps the bike nice and slim. But when I look at my bike with the side panels off, I'm left thinking with a little more sculpting they could have kept the look and worked a lot more fuel capacity into the ride. My low fuel light usually goes on at around the 100 mile mark, and for some rides around here, you're just barely getting started with no gas stations in sight.
There's other things of course. The stock gearing, the AIS, flapper valve, etc. But they're easily changed and don't fundamentally change riding and handling the bike.

All in all, however, I think I'll keep it.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 8:32 am

This is definately one of the best dual-purpose bikes I've owned, and I've owned a whole lot of them, mostly Yamaha models. :)
It feels like a real dirt bike, so that's a MAJOR hurdle out of the way - I'm not into 400lb. street bikes that have dirt bike styling.

My main gripes/wish list in order of importance to me:

1) Power.
Specifically, I'd love more beef in the middle because it feels like it lacks strong torque/pulling power in this area.
I don't expect a 250cc engine to compete with a 600cc engine on the dyno, but I still feel this way.
The low end above idle feels very good and plenty strong for torquing along slow and snotty trails.
The top end howls good and strong.
It's the area in between I'd love to improve.
If I get that licked, it would be one extremely impressive engine.
As it it right now, it's good.

2) Weight.
It's a sad day when your 2008 250cc dual-purpose bike weighs 12 pounds more than a 1985 XT-350N.
That doesn't put the WR-250R into street-bike-with-dirt-bike-stying territory, but it does seem counter productive to me.
Features like the burly frame and big forks and electric starting add-up in poundage, for sure, and nobody expects the factory to defy the laws of physics, especially with all of the EPA and DOT crap that must be tacked-on.
I would, however, like 15 pounds less heft.

3) Rear suspension.
It's good, except for how it just blows through the travel through whoops.
Everywhere else I've ridden the bike, it's not bad at all.
Maybe an over-the-winter service/revalve is coming. :)
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 9:12 am

i'll add to your list....

no grease fittings.....any brand or type of bike should have these at any bearing point.

another aspect of the seat that i personally don't like is the "gripper" material....never have liked it on anything i've had with it.

not having wide footpegs.

the taillight design.

all the emissions crap..
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 6:59 pm

I love mine.

But I hate:

-The right fork seal (blown)

-The asymmetrical ass end - muffler on on side, gaping maw of nothingness on the other

-The low height of the bars - they need to be up higher from the factory!

-The aftermarket support (although it is getting better)

-The OEM rear sprocket. WTF, over?

-The chain needing to be run "tight"
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 10:13 pm

I've fixed nearly all of my major gripes, all that I have left to complain about...

1) fuel range sucks if you ride a lot of short trips in a day, or like some have a longish commute. I actually don't mind it on multiday rides though, gives me an excuse to take a break from my #2...

2) the seat. I have a love-hate with it, mostly love off-road and around town, mostly hate at the end of a long day in the saddle. Buttpad helps, will eventually get a reznaco.

3) gearing. I love how the 13/47 basically fixes the bike's gearing and powerband on everything short of interstate. I strongly dislike being limited to the mid-60mph range for comfort on the highway. I wish I could just add a seventh gear...

4) vibes. Its not awful until you're on your seventh or eigth hour in the saddle at highway-ish speeds, but my hands start to get real tired because of it. A more street oriented front tire would help, but would kill me off road so I'll take buzzed out hands instead.
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 3:50 am

Rear shock appears to lack rebound adjustment capabilities. Even turned in a lot i feels quite springy. Strange.
Also, would like to get rid of steel fuel tank and replace by plastic tank of same size. Maybe get rid of that tank fender assembly stuff at all and replace by something simpler or just the gas tank with fenders on.
Also, would like black coloured rims.
All in all I am still very happy about the bike. Good ride.
Back to top Go down
Twistagrip

Twistagrip

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 3:27 pm

I hate that I have to wait until this spring to buy one. GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
gordo5

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 11:18 pm

skierd wrote:

4) vibes. Its not awful until you're on your seventh or eigth hour in the saddle at highway-ish speeds, but my hands start to get real tired because of it. A more street oriented front tire would help, but would kill me off road so I'll take buzzed out hands instead.

I bought mine slightly modified.... and modified it more. Very happy One of the mods it came with was 7/8" Renthal aluminum bars. Nice rise and fit me well but lots of vibes. I've since read that the 7/8" Renthals, while strong and light, are notorious for that. So, having already installed heated grips (epoxied on) I didn't want to change bars so I added these things:

http://fasstco.com/products/insert.shtml

Pretty simple install and they accommodate bark busters. They made a huge difference! My hands only get buzzed out after reving really hard on the trails and even then, it ain't too bad. Plus, the company was great to deal with. They actually made a mistake on shipping that cost me a few bucks (always use USPS to Canada) so they sent me a couple complimentary little add-ons for my bike along with an apology. Sweet. You only learn what a vendor is *really* like when there is a problem.

Somebody mentioned the lack of a grab bar. I know a lot of people remove the passenger strap and I'm not sure why. Passenger pegs were the first thing I removed but I like the strap when you need something to yank on.

I also noticed a comparison to the xt350 (which I once owned) and I too was surprised when the R² came out and was a bit heavier. Agreed, e-start, frame & forks are contributors, but don't forget the big alternator and the 350W output. What did xt350 produce? 50W? poser2 Also, liquid cooling and a proper chain. That said, I actually find the WRR feels lighter.

+1 on the grease fittings.

My addition to the list of gripes for an otherwise perfect DS is the lack of sidepanel mudguards. Every DS and dirt bike ever made has them, except for the recent Yamahas (the new XT250 is the same). These are the plastic molded flaps that extend from just behind the rider towards the rear wheel, on either side of the bike. Not only do they serve to keep slop off the rider, but if you have an aftermarket can (hint, hint: anyone got an FMF?) then they also provide some rider protection. Once I saw some on a thread on TT that were from from Japan, but they were unobtainium in North America and made out of carbon fibre, which I wasn't too sure about, because I think that might be more brittle than plastic.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 7:54 am

I think the lack of side panel mudguards has to do with styling changes.

The side panel styling with the parts that extend rearward are supposed to be number plates.
Back in the old days, dual-purpose bikes were styled to look a lot like motocross and competition off-road bikes, hence the number plates molded into the side panels.
The WR-250R still has a number plate sitting above the headlight lens, although the Yamaha sales brochure blurbs don't make much of a stink about that, anymore.

I'm guessing they just decided to style the bike a bit differently by going with the current trend in motocross and sport bikes by making the plastic bodywork smaller.

Actually, if you look at pics of motocross bikes from the mid-to-late 1970s, you'll see it was common to have the number plate in the area of the rider's lower leg and not hanging off the back.
So, in a way, we're now going retro, but with a bit of a triangular twist. thumb

Yeah, you can tell by looking at the physical size of the engine's bottom end where a large portion of the weight is coming from.
It looks just as large as the XT-350.
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 11:45 am

The only thing I hate about my wrr is that I don't get to ride it enough ... GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 12:40 pm

+100 baldy Damned bloody evac crap. With the campfire bans and all the fires burning it looks like I might end up missing the enduro I'm registered in on the 23rd. Work work and more work.

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 1:12 pm

texascycle wrote:
The only thing I hate about my wrr is that I don't get to ride it enough ... GAHHHH

Yeah, may I sign this as well. I registered at our enduro track early this year for a one year full membership as soon as I got my WR (after I had paused for more than 3 years). Well, this year there where 2 (two) Saturdays up to now where I found the time to get there. It is some sort of disillusioning.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 5:22 pm

I've only got 6000 on mine...

... since late march. cheers Another another 5500ish schedule for August. cheers cheers Stop driving and sell your cage, that'll get the seat time up. thumb
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 5:17 am

Things I hate:

1) Weight

2) Speedo pickup off gear box

3) As I'am too young for a licence I pulled off the rear binkers, tail light and number plate holder and found the sub frame wasn't pluged.

4) Graphics started wearing through after only 700km

Last edited by WRRSam on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 1:14 pm

SheWolf wrote:
+100 baldy Damned bloody evac crap. With the campfire bans and all the fires burning it looks like I might end up missing the enduro I'm registered in on the 23rd. Work work and more work.
Overtime, overtime, and more overtime.

I'd much rather ride in Sept/Oct anyways...

And I don't get overtime...

Subject: FW: LFWA 3350-1 (ACOS Ops) Warning Order - Force Generation OP LYNX
09/01

1. Situation: Forest fires in BC and continued unfavourable weather
may result in a request for CF assistance. Should assistance be desired in
the future, BC intends to provide seven days notice. However, forecasted
hot dry weather with lightening strikes could result in a shorter notice
request.

2. Probable Msn: On order, 39 CBG will FG 1 x 100 pers composite
sub-unit for firefighting duties.
Back to top Go down
ArmyStrongMD

ArmyStrongMD

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 3:11 pm

To make this bike highway worthy, they had to gear it like that. Yeah, it's way to snappy in first offroad, but if you do mainly offroading, change the sprocket. I was so glad they had a final drive capable of 70mph cruising without high rpms. That's hard on the engine and destroys gas mileage. This bike is happier on the freeway than I thought it would be. Same deal with the bars...I thought the bars were really high factory, so I'm getting used to it. With my super long arms though standing up is still quite easy. I feel like this bike was built for giants lol

Oh yeah, hate...

Seat is pretty miserable. Too narrow with those hard seams...

2-up riding is bad (for her), awkward leg angle to get at the passenger pegs, and pretty uncomfortable for both of us.

Height...come on, who are they building this for? If the average man is 5'9", I expect a guy who is 6' to flat foot this thing. I am 6', and I can't really flat foot it. I'm sure if I lower it or soften the suspension up I'll have no trouble, as I already have one foot flat with the other heel only like 1/2" off the ground.

No handguards or skid plate from the factory??? WTF! This thing retails at $6390! Can't throw in hand guards and a skid plate?

Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 5:17 pm

The only thing left that I dislike about it exept the seat and the fuel capacity is my top speed of 135 km/h. I'm near the cutoff at that speed... I would love to be at the same RPM, in 6th gear but doing 160 km/h, while acheiving the same grunt and torque.... That is why i am thinking about going with a Big Bore kit so i can retain the about same power i have now but allowing for taller gearing, so a tad more top speed.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 1:02 pm

I agree on the tiny tank. Not sure why they placed such a small tank on the bke as there is room and height for more capacity. More low and mid-range power would be nice - hoping for either a 450 or 650 things - Things I hate about my WR250R 805204
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 1:39 pm

The only thing I don't like is that the X comes with spoke rims and tube tires. They should be cast aluminum and tubeless on the X.

The other little anoyances are fixable.

IMHO, those wanting a lot more power, or a lot less weight, should have bought a different bike. And then they'd be complaining about the maintenance schedule. scratch
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 4:30 pm

skierd wrote:

The DRZ400 boys swear the WR buzz is relatively low (I assume that's d/t the significantly smaller displacement). My first hand account is that it's equel or lower than the TW200 and XT225.

I'm told the engine refinements (titanuim coatings etc.) in the WR allow for "tighter tolerances" which means less buzz. ?????

I've used gel padded gloves for long street rides - they help.

That said, there's always room for improvement. Gonna take a look at those anti-viberation inserts.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:09 pm

Heh, I guess I should update my opinion since I've put round about 18,000 more miles on the bike(s) total since then.

In response to my initial 4 complaints...

1)Fuel range doesn't suck as much as I once thought, but it would be nice to not have to plan fuel stops and range so dilligently into my rides. The IMS tank will fix it for me I think. Especially since I've found I get a) MUCH better mileage on real gas over gasahol and b) at my 'traveling off-and-on-side-roads' pace I net in the mid 60's mpg.

2) I no longer hate the stock seat. I might get the Seat Concepts cover just for extra cushion but there is nothing wrong with the stock seat as far as my ass is concerned if I decide to not spend the money. Good underwear (not bike shorts for me) and moving around is crucial for road riding of course.

3) Gearing, in the end, wasn't the hindrance at speed. Power was. Pipe+programmer+airbox mods on the new bike and I'm happy to cruise at 75+ with 13/46 gearing and taller 110/100-18 tires (equivalent to 13/44.5 on stock tires). Still wouldn't mind a 7th gear to cut the cruising rpm a tad but whatever. When i put the stock tires back on I'm going to run 14/46 gearing and see how it feels now with the added power.

4)I think it was the grips on the old bike that had me complaining. Too small in diameter, making for tired hands at the end of the day. The Hot Grips I have on now are nice and thick and I haven't had any issues related to vibes at the bars since then. They are a bit hard though and with difficult trail riding I can get blisters from holding on too tight. Worth it cause man I love heated grips!

Adding a new one, i'd like to work on the suspension a little. Can't say its really a complaint though as I always eventually want to start messing with the car or bike's suspenders.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 1:26 am

skierd wrote:
1)Fuel range doesn't suck as much as I once thought, but it would be nice to not have to plan fuel stops and range so dilligently into my rides. The IMS tank will fix it for me I think. Especially since I've found I get a) MUCH better mileage on real gas over gasahol and b) at my 'traveling off-and-on-side-roads' pace I net in the mid 60's mpg.
My well used but not abused stock '08 WR just made a trip up to the top of Grey Creek Pass and back. Worked out to 3.8L/100km or 74.4mpg, whichever you prefer. That's about a 154 km round trip by Garmin Rino 530 HCx, with a guestimated 60 - 70 km of that on the tar.

So, playing around with the "what if" calculator, it looks like my range in the mountains is about 200 km/120 miles climbing up to a pass and back. Probably get another 15 - 20 miles out of a tank rolling on less mountainous forest service roads.

I keep thinking of the IMS tank. Looks like it might be inhospitable to my Wolfman tank bag. On the other hand, I am thinking more and more that I find that tankbag a bit annoying every time I'm standing up. Not a big deal, but the longer it annoys me slightly, the more it annoys me greatly.

But I keep all my crap in that tank bag...
Back to top Go down
hughtwg

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Overall it's a great bike but nothing is perfect.

1. 2 Gallon tank is a very bad joke. Even at 60+ MPG and many get less than that.

2. Instruments are horrible. Giant clock but no tach! But the tach actually exists you just can't see ir!!! Also the flat surface gets covered with dust/dirt/sand very easily.

Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 4:00 pm

hughtwg wrote:
Overall it's a great bike but nothing is perfect.

1. 2 Gallon tank is a very bad joke. Even at 60+ MPG and many get less than that.

2. Instruments are horrible. Giant clock but no tach! But the tach actually exists you just can't see ir!!! Also the flat surface gets covered with dust/dirt/sand very easily.

1. tough Its a dirtbike, its not intended to be an pavement pounder. If it had a bigger tank it would be a big and fat..... not qualities a lot of people want, and if you do they make a larger aftermarket tank!. I do many long ride to the trail and around the woods and have no qualms about the capacity

2. Do you really need a tach on this bike? I sure as hell dont, i let the sound of the bike and power delivery tell me when to shift. Do you look at the tach in the woods??? And god forbid a part on your DIRTBIKE got DIRTY
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi All:

While I am riding an X, the lack of a tach seems wrong on a high revving dual sport?

The OEM grips are not so good at vib isolation.

The Throttle tip-in can be a tad tough to get used to but I suspect most 250 thumpers with FI are going to be this way. I wonder if the FI Suzuki TU 250 has this on/off/on like action?

The OEM seat hurts after 100-miles but like every other bike in the class, there's a fix for that.

Its lightweight and easy ability to control, great suspension for the road, performance for its FE capability and ergonomics for a heavy 6 + footer are by far best in class imho.

I wonder what we will see new in mid to late 2012 as that is not that far away?

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R Empty

Back to top Go down

Things I hate about my WR250R
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next