Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Might have set new MPG record

Go down 
+6
mucker
mordicai
chuckP
bigg
motokid
chabon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
chabon

chabon

Might have set new MPG record Empty
PostSubject: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Went back to the stock muffler from the Powercore and set my FMF programmer to 2.5, 2.5, 0.5, 8.0, 4.0, 4.5

Low fuel light came on at 28 miles!

Filled up and checked and calculated 19 MPG (Premium was $5.89/gallon in California at the only gas station in town today)

Turned all settings down to 0.5 and got 62 mpg on the next tank.

yikes, some fine tuning is needed. Guy riding behind me didn't see any smoke or smell gas.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 8:12 am

I'd say there's some kind of user error there.

I'd bet you somehow reset your odometer along the way and did not calculate for total miles traveled on that tank of gas.

That, or your FmF unit is totally FUBAR'd.

These settings are very tame: 2.5, 2.5, 0.5, 8.0, 4.0, 4.5

There is no way in hell you could get 19mpg ... and not be dripping raw gasoline out the tail pipe...... scratch

Maybe you were looking at the trip B odometer mileage and not the trip A?

Maybe you were freaky

amazon hide

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 am

haha, no freaky

Odometer read 28 miles, GPS read 28.2 miles. Had just filled up (1.7 gallons) a half hour earlier with cheaper $4.99 gas (91). It ran fine. Using that much gas I thought it would have been chugging and smoking??!! No visible leaks. Maybe a glitch in the programmer that left the injector on? Going to try and duplicate the incident. Never got off the bike after I filled up so no gas theft involved.

So how low have you other guys gone on MPG? I see postings for the best mpg's but not the worst.....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 am

I've never been below 45-50 mpg. Never.

And that was when constantly at full-open throttle, chasing ktm's and other supermoto's on a group ride for hours.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 2:27 pm

could this be helped by the lower grade fuel you used? I know octane numbers are different over the world but 91 sounds quite low.

When I ride with the standard fuel here in germany (95 RON) my light comes on at 150 km. When I use the premium one (99 or 98 RON) the light comes on at 170 km. So that is a 20 km improvement just because of different fuel quality eeek eeek

also, did you check if you have any leaks? really can't imagine getting such a low mileage... wonder if the bike would even run properly with a mixture rich enough to cause 19 mpg
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 2:40 pm

bigg wrote:
could this be helped by the lower grade fuel you used? I know octane numbers are different over the world but 91 sounds quite low.

When I ride with the standard fuel here in germany (95 RON) my light comes on at 150 km. When I use the premium one (99 or 98 RON) the light comes on at 170 km. So that is a 20 km improvement just because of different fuel quality eeek eeek

also, did you check if you have any leaks? really can't imagine getting such a low mileage... wonder if the bike would even run properly with a mixture rich enough to cause 19 mpg

91 is highest grade in California (different rating system then RON). I was surprised it ran also. I went back and checked my credit card charges (I was starting to think I went mental or something). And yes I did a complete fill up 30 minutes before I hit reserve and filled up a second time!

Its like an episode from the Twilight Zone, Space-Time continuum, string theory, election year, just not sure? Everything fine after backing programmer all the way down. Programmer worked fine before with FMF pipe. Looks like a good excuse for a test ride (with a Rotopax).
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 pm

I also find it hard to believe the bike would actually run with that rich of an AFR. But i'll take your word for it.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 10:50 pm

YOU FILLED UP AND 30 MINUTES LATER YOU HIT RESERVE! WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN?
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 8:14 am

mordicai wrote:

Obviously back tires!...heh

You couldnt have filled up properly...?!?

You musta missed something.
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 9:20 am

mucker wrote:
mordicai wrote:

Obviously back tires!...heh

You couldnt have filled up properly...?!?

You musta missed something.

Maybe I had my drag chute deployed, will have to go double check .......
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 am

My fuel programmer settings are much richer than that and I am probably a lot bigger than you, I still manage 55-60 running it wide open from every stop. Definitely twilight zone.
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Okay, re setup on the programmer using 1.0, 1.5, 1.0, 8.0, 4.0, 4.5 and got about 50 mpg. Something was just screwed up the first time.....
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: AGAIN!   Might have set new MPG record EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 pm

chabon wrote:
Okay, re setup on the programmer using 1.0, 1.5, 1.0, 8.0, 4.0, 4.5 and got about 50 mpg. Something was just screwed up the first time.....

Whoops, spoke to soon. Fuel light came on at 29 miles today, 23.5 MPG. scratch

Took photo of odometer 3 miles after light came on, put in 1.53 gallons. How could I not be leaving a con-trail using this much gas?

Might have set new MPG record 8092112257_bc22794da8
IMG_20121015_065146 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Last edited by chabon on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:20 pm

My low fuel light comes on when i've used 1.1-1.2gal of my 1.9gal tank fwiw.

What do you mean you put in 15.3gal?
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:31 pm

chuckP wrote:
My low fuel light comes on when i've used 1.1-1.2gal of my 1.9gal tank fwiw.

What do you mean you put in 15.3gal?

Fixed (1.53 gallons). My light usually comes on around 85 miles. Every so often a tank will only go 30 miles! Random.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Assuming its not leaking a trail of gas behind it... maybe put a spark plug in your exhaust pipe and have a WR250 flame thrower? At least get some benefit out of your wasted gas lol.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Holy crap. I was screwing with the programmer and riding the piss out of the bike and saw maybe 52 mpg as my lowest. Something sounds fishy. Did you use the same gas station? Is their pump not calibrated or something?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 6:32 pm

I think his buddies are messin with him... Siphoning gas out during smoke breaks or something.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 9:04 pm

X-Racer wrote:
I think his buddies are messin with him... Siphoning gas out during smoke breaks or something.

poser2 poser2

I was thinking something like that..... theft.... lol! lol!

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
bcuubinfidel

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:38 am

On the other side of this post, my record is 91 MPG. Grand lake to Estes Park, .55 gallons over 50 miles. 8000 feet to 12000 feet and back to 8000. Filled up in Grand Lake, just to make sure. Also, running a 50 tooth rear. Keep your chin up, it gets better!
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 am

X-Racer wrote:

Not unlike them Might have set new MPG record 723941. BUT, I will ride it directly from one fill up to the next with out getting off. Doesnt take long to go 30 miles and need a fillup. Hasn't happened in the last few tanks Might have set new MPG record 29721
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Might have set new MPG record   Might have set new MPG record Empty

Back to top Go down

Might have set new MPG record
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: