Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Looking for some sprocket/chain advise

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Potentate

Looking for some sprocket/chain advise Empty
PostSubject: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 2:34 pm

I've got about 2500 miles of mixed dirt/pavement riding and i want to regear my wrr. I'm trying to decide between a 13/46 setup or a 14/49. I know gearing there's not much difference, my goal is to be inexpensive. My chain seems to be in good condition so here's my real question. Is it a bad idea to add a few links, keep the stock chain and front sprocket and just replace the rear, or should I go 14/49 and replace both sprockets and chain. If its advisable to replace it all I'll just go with the 14/49. My only interest in the 13/46 is that I might be able to save some $$. Thanks

Eric
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Generally speaking you should replace the set as one. Otherwise, things wear at all different times and in ways they shouldn't. But, if you did just the rear sprocket it would work. I went to a 47 rear at 1500mil and only vhange the rear sprokect and added a masterlink. I would consider bumping to a 13/47-48 as it will be more noticeable of a change. My WRR has a 12/47 or 13/47 depending on where we are riding. Gives me the ability to run in 3 a lot more.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 5:34 pm

From what I've gathered...the cheapest alternatives are, in order of cheapness...
-12T front...keep the rest
-45T rear...keep the rest
-12/45 combo...keep the chain
-new chain and 45+ rear
-buy everything

Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for the advise. I think I'm going to try adding a couple links and go with a new rear sprocket.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 am

Potentate wrote:
My only interest in the 13/46 is that I might be able to save some $$. Thanks

Eric

If saving money is a concern, 12/43 is the cheapest way to get where you want to go.

Mine came with a 12 front, 43 rear. Original owner only put 2,000 miles on the bike in 3 years. When this chain is due for replacement, I will go with 13/47, as the 12T front makes me a little concerned about the seal guard wear issue, but I check regularly and have no issues so far.

I already have the almost new, take-off 13T OEM front, and a new 47T rear, so all I need now is a new 110 link chain. The OEM chain still looks great, so I am in no rush to change.

I also have a new seal guard ready to install when needed.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:40 am

Another reason that going a 12t on the front over a new rear is it takes 5mins to swap the front sprocket. This way, you can change gearing quickly depending on what/where you are riding. Even so, at 12/47 cursing on the highway at 70 isn't an issue. Definetly running the bike a little harder but it just purrs along. And, no new chain needed.
Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Well I just went ahead and bought a new chain, 14 front and 49 rear sprocket. I figured I can't go wrong just replacing it all at the same time. It should be delivered Friday and hopefully i can install it on Saturday. I'll let y'all know what I think of it after I get a couple rides in on it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 10:30 am

Potentate wrote:
I've got about 2500 miles of mixed dirt/pavement riding and i want to regear my wrr. I'm trying to decide between a 13/46 setup or a 14/49. I know gearing there's not much difference, my goal is to be inexpensive. My chain seems to be in good condition so here's my real question. Is it a bad idea to add a few links, keep the stock chain and front sprocket and just replace the rear, or should I go 14/49 and replace both sprockets and chain. If its advisable to replace it all I'll just go with the 14/49. My only interest in the 13/46 is that I might be able to save some $$. Thanks

Eric

Eric

Just in case you were not aware of this web-site for gearing . It has a ton of information on the impacts to a change:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Bob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some sprocket/chain advise   Looking for some sprocket/chain advise Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for some sprocket/chain advise
Page 1 of 1