Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trail tech vapor RPM question

Go down 
+5
TThelper
skrew
crazy_dave
IAmABug
meirc
9 posters
AuthorMessage
meirc

Trail tech vapor RPM question Empty
PostSubject: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi
i install the trail tech vapor on my WR250R.
The RPM that i get is very jumpy (50-950 rpm without touching the bike when i wrap it around the plug)
i tried to wrap it aroung the orange wire that is comming from the plug (5 times) but no rading at all.
connecting it directly to the orange wire i got maximum rpm reading at the vapor.
i tried also different connection to gnd but without success in the results.

Do you have a clue how i overcome this problem?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am

I have one. Currently the tack has the same problem. I have been trying for 6months :(. It's an on going project. Keep me posted if you figure it out and I will do the same.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 am

Ive got one on my KTM that does the same thing. Ive tryed a few different ways with no luck so I just said fu*k it.
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:45 am

Try "normal" tachometer with connection to signal wire like this https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2989-digital-tachometer-voltmeter-mk-05 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/320650807283) or this https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4340-plenty-of-diy-tachometer-voltmeter-temp-meters

Used it for years with no problem with readings.
Back to top Go down
TThelper

PostSubject: Tach Troubleshooting.   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 4:00 pm

What year is your WR? Is it using the coil over ignition system where the coil is right on top of the spark plug? Where do you have the tach sensor grounded? How do you have the power hooked up and grounded?
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Year is not important at all - they all since beginning have same ignition system. Mine is 2008.
ECU have ignition signal wire, that can be connected to tachometer for reliable readings.
In my case with that tachometers sensor wire goes to ECU, red to +12, black - grounded - and it works like a charm. You can find at photos how reliable readings from aftermarket and build-in tachometer are.
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 4:19 pm

TThelper wrote:
Is it using the coil over ignition system where the coil is right on top of the spark plug?

Right. That is why many tachometers didn't work - they all need hi-volt ignition cable to get readings instead to read it from ECU/distributor.
Back to top Go down
TThelper

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 6:32 pm

With the coil over ignition systems we normally install it directly to the orange wire that goes directly into the connector that plugs onto the coil. This would be option number 3 on our tach sensor installation instructions. We have done this install on the WR applications numerous times with no issues. Our tach sensor is just an inductive pickup so it will just sense the pulse. Sometimes there is enough electrical noise that is created by the electrical system that it can cause an erratic reading. This is why with the coil over ignition systems we recommend going directly to the positive input into the coil which on the WR is the orange wire.
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 3:34 am

Right.
Back to top Go down
meirc

PostSubject: Need clarification from TT helper   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 10:12 am

The wire from the vapor need electrical connection (metal to metal) with the orange wire or just put them together (without electrical connection) in the connector that goes to the plug.
i tried to connect them together (metal to metal) and got the maximum reading of RPM in the meter.
the ground itself is connected to 1 of the screw that holds the radiator.
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:37 am

Got the TT tach/hour meter. Soldered it directly to the orange wire going to the plug and works great! At first, it was reading around 850 rpms-thought this was a little low, so changed the the number of pulses to 0.5 and it now reads a steady 1670 rpms. Nice, cheap little tach that fits perfectly on the lower part of the stock dash.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Wired power direct to battery. Used tach wire with resistor off the orange plug on top of coil. Set PPR at 0.5. Works like a charm.
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 7:54 am

TThelper wrote:
With the coil over ignition systems we normally install it directly to the orange wire that goes directly into the connector that plugs onto the coil. We have done this install on the WR applications numerous times with no issues. Our tach sensor is just an inductive pickup so it will just sense the pulse. Sometimes there is enough electrical noise that is created by the electrical system that it can cause an erratic reading. This is why with the coil over ignition systems we recommend going directly to the positive input into the coil which on the WR is the orange wire.

After reading this, I expected to be able to connect as described. Direct to Orange pin within the connector. This connection does not work on my 2009 WRR. Spent 3 days trying to sort this out. Was/am determined not to let this beat me. Had maximum revs displayed with both warning lights flashing. Tried all the settings options. Finally tried wrapping around the coil tube over the spark plug. Now have reasonable but erratic reading. Will try less than the current 5 wraps.
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 5:58 am

TThelper wrote:
With the coil over ignition systems we normally install it directly to the orange wire that goes directly into the connector that plugs onto the coil. This would be option number 3 on our tach sensor installation instructions. We have done this install on the WR applications numerous times with no issues. Our tach sensor is just an inductive pickup so it will just sense the pulse. Sometimes there is enough electrical noise that is created by the electrical system that it can cause an erratic reading. This is why with the coil over ignition systems we recommend going directly to the positive input into the coil which on the WR is the orange wire.

After many attempts, and the fact some have no problems, I suspect there are some faulty units. Direct to orange wire does not work. I will send mine back for a replacement or refund unless someone can offer a solution. baldy
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 10:14 pm

I had to call Trail Tech and get the right wire to make the tach work, it was a lot of fun installing

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t11213-trail-tech-vapor-install-questions?highlight=trail+tech+tach

see the Tach in action here also the 12oClockLabs Gear position indicator Yamaha WR250R

Watch Full Screen and see the shift light come on with the shift into 4th

Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 6:56 am

I see yours works well now. So why have Trailtech not offered this as an upgrade for a known problem? Further testing to day after reading other posts revealed:
1. Does indeed work intermittently during the day but not at all at night. While this seems to make no sense, in fact it probably has more to do with temperature. First start in the morning it takes a few Km before it sort of settles down. In Oz we have headlight permanently on but no running lights. At night it is maximum revs and both warning lights flashing. Most annoying.
2. Goes crazy every time the indicators are used. I have a combination of LED and incandescent lamps.
3. Speedo has a moment every now and then showing 10 or 20 kph too fast.
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 7:53 am

Elm wrote:
I see yours works well now. So why have Trailtech not offered this as an upgrade for a known problem? Further testing to day after reading other posts revealed:
1. Does indeed work intermittently during the day but not at all at night. While this seems to make no sense, in fact it probably has more to do with temperature. First start in the morning it takes a few Km before it sort of settles down. In Oz we have headlight permanently on but no running lights. At night it is maximum revs and both warning lights flashing. Most annoying.
2. Goes crazy every time the indicators are used. I have a combination of LED and incandescent lamps.
3. Speedo has a moment every now and then showing 10 or 20 kph too fast.

These units are very sensitive to stray RF. to solve that I have ran the + and - straight to the battery. the unit is on all the time. The display does shut off after about 20 min. when stopped. I tried everything to get the tach to work, so I called Trail Tech and they gave me the resistor wire and I connected it to the orange wire at the coil right above the spark plug. I would call Trail Tech and confirm all of this. and the setting is set to 0.5. The Tach is off by 50 rpms at idle and about 800 to 1000 off above 9000 rpm. the tach red lines at 11200 and we all know the rev limiter kicks in at 10500. The air temp sensor is inside the unit next to the LCD and reads heat off of that making it about 10F degrees high. the water temp is spot on. The Speedo is spot on also, compared to my GPS. I have the sensor on the Rear wheel.
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 8:03 am

Elm wrote:
I see yours works well now. So why have Trailtech not offered this as an upgrade for a known problem?

These units fits many bikes so recalling all the kits is not practical. Some of the units worked fine on other WR's. Each bike must have different Stray RF signals running around due to how the wire harness is twisted when assembled.
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Vapor Tacho problem SOLVED   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 6:57 am

Some have posted no problems, some have posted still not working. Others mention Tacho Wire with RESISTOR. Others report Tacho does not work at night. Most report maximum revs with both warning lights flashing.

So, the problem is not RF interference but too low Tacho wire resistance when connected directly to Coil Wire.
The failure at night is not related to time of day but temperature. As the temperature warms, the wire resistance increases and the flashing stops & reading is steady.

I have proven this several ways.
1. As mentioned previously by another post, "tacho wire with resister has no problem"
2. Now the Winter days are warmer here, as long as Vapor ambient temperature reading is above 20 deg C, works like a charm.
3. Ditto for nights and cold days, no go.
4. I installed a 600 ohm resister in line, and it works perfectly no matter what the temperature.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Epee

Epee

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question EmptyThu Nov 26, 2020 12:27 pm

I, too, have had problems getting the Trail Tech TTO tachometer/hour meter to work properly with sensor wire wrapped around the ignition coil.  Even when I got sufficient signal to get some tachometer reading, the display was very erratic, with the RPM displayed jumping all over the place.  I also found that wrapping the sensor wire around the coil made it very difficult to get a good seal around the coil, allowing water to enter the plug well.

Trail Tech support suggested that you hardwire attach the sensor wire to the orange signal wire at the connector to the ignition coil (requiring you to take apart the electrical connector plug).  This seemed pretty crude...

I found it far easier to simply get a Posi-Tap connector to tap the sensor wire to the heavy gauge orange wire coming out of the ECU.  This was simple and fast to connect, and works perfectly.  I now get a very stable and reliable RPM reading.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trail tech vapor RPM question   Trail tech vapor RPM question Empty

Back to top Go down

Trail tech vapor RPM question
Page 1 of 1