Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

DIY Tubeless rims

Go down 
+2
pbnut
Monkeynuts
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Monkeynuts

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Just posting a pic of my rear wheel rim that I converted to run tubeless earlier this year. Looks in tip top condition after removing the worn out tyre. Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos thumb
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 am

thumb
Glad yours is holding up. I tried this earlier this year when I couldn't get ahold of a new tube quick enough. I've since gone back to a tube though.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Mine have been great, no loss of pressure at all and balance has been fine with the hoops. If anybody wants to know how I did the rims let me know and I will try to do a list and how I did it !
Drunken monkey nuts dutch ( at time of reply ) wink
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Your method looks identical to the one I used. Let me guess; bicycle tube slit around the outside edge and sealed to the rim with rtv?
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:44 pm

pbnut wrote:
Your method looks identical to the one I used. Let me guess; bicycle tube slit around the outside edge and sealed to the rim with rtv?

Looks like JB Weld to me.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Yep, I used a bike tube. But first of all I cut some patches from an old tube with a 3/4" hole punch, then used a sealer ( innotec )that I use on swimming pools ( works under water !) run a ring of sealer around the outside of each nipple and covered them with the patches and allowed them to dry befor putting the cut tube on the rim, then run sealer about 1/2" under the cut tube. Then work the sealer around the rim until it comes out from under the cut tube. Let it set and fit the tyre. Worked first time and looks as good as the day I first did the mod. Preparation is the key to doing the job right first time.
Back to top Go down
swimmer

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Monkeynuts wrote:
Yep, I used a bike tube. But first of all I cut some patches from an old tube with a 3/4" hole punch, then used a sealer ( innotec )that I use on swimming pools ( works under water !) run a ring of sealer around the outside of each nipple and covered them with the patches and allowed them to dry befor putting the cut tube on the rim, then run sealer about 1/2" under the cut tube. Then work the sealer around the rim until it comes out from under the cut tube. Let it set and fit the tyre. Worked first time and looks as good as the day I first did the mod. Preparation is the key to doing the job right first time.

What size bike tube did you use? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

If I remember correctly, it was a 14-15" tube. That's for the 17" rims. You want the tube to be tight on the inner rim. scratch
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 11:54 pm

I know this is an old thread but I am wondering if the OP is still running this setup?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
johnkol

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 11:42 pm

njbill wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I am wondering if the OP is still running this setup?

Thanks!

I run a similar setup, DIY tubeless stock wheels on the WRR. Almost two years and 5,000 miles on the wheels without any problems, and I also had this setup on a DR650 with 15,000 trouble-free miles.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks for the feedback. Are you running just the back tire? The reason I ask is there is a guy who sealed a 21" front wheel on a new Africa Twin with this technique. I was under the impression that this did not work on front 21" wheels.

For the record, I also own a Super Tenere with spoked tubeless wheels. That set-up is ideal for my riding style.

johnkol wrote:
njbill wrote:

Thanks!

I run a similar setup, DIY tubeless stock wheels on the WRR. Almost two years and 5,000 miles on the wheels without any problems, and I also had this setup on a DR650 with 15,000 trouble-free miles.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 6:42 pm

njbill wrote:
Are you running just the back tire?

No, both rear and front wheels have been converted to tubeless.

The front is actually simpler to convert because you only have to seal one rim lock hole, not two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DIY Tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tubeless rims   DIY Tubeless rims Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY Tubeless rims
Page 1 of 1