Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Aviation Fuel in the WR250?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
phaques

PostSubject: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on running 100LL Aviation Fuel in the WR250? Avgas is 100 octane, "low lead", which means it has some lead in it. Avgas is also very stable and does not degrade much at all over time, does not contain ethanol. The only real issue I can think of is, will the lead in the gas cause problems with the fuel injection system?

I run it in my smaller carbureted dirt bikes on the advice of a friend who says it eliminates virtually all of his fuel related problems.
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 pm

a) I've never had "fuel related problems" with my X.

b) how much does 100 octane Avgas cost per gallon?

c) I have no idea if leaded fuel would be good or bad for any part of bike

d) how much does 100 octane Avgas cost per gallon?

and .....

How much does Avgas cost per gallon?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
phaques

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Aviation Fuel varies, but at my airport it costs $6.50/gallon....
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm

phaques wrote:
Aviation Fuel varies, but at my airport it costs $6.50/gallon....

Why would you want to pay 2 dollars more per gallon for something that won't improve the performance of your motorcycle?

What "fuel related problems" do you think you'll be avoiding by using something of that nature?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
bigg

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Lead will damage the catalytic converter.

which is not an issue if you removed it / have an aftermarket exhaust without cat.
Back to top Go down
mucker

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 am

As far as I've gathered...octane describes how a fuel burns, rather than the energy that it contains/releases.
High octane burns slower, making it more effective for high compression/volatile applications.
If your fuel is burning proper, you do not need higher octane.
In high performance applications...if your octane is too high for your engine tune...you could be dead in the water.
In a modern fuel injected engine...your computer may retard a few parameters to prevent engine knockin...but if not, you will never need high octane fuel, for maximum efficiency.
Back to top Go down
bigg

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:42 am

mucker wrote:
As far as I've gathered...octane describes how a fuel burns, rather than the energy that it contains/releases.
High octane burns slower, making it more effective for high compression/volatile applications.
If your fuel is burning proper, you do not need higher octane.
In high performance applications...if your octane is too high for your engine tune...you could be dead in the water.
In a modern fuel injected engine...your computer may retard a few parameters to prevent engine knockin...but if not, you will never need high octane fuel, for maximum efficiency.

maybe so, but I found that when I use the premium gas (which I do all the time now), my engine runs quieter and I get about 10 more miles before my light comes on.

although that may have nothing to do about octanes but rather that the premium fuel has got a lot less ethanol in it.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:30 am

I wouldn't bother using anything higher than the 93 you buy at the typical gas station.
I've owned bikes where using race gas actually made less power and made the bike feel as if somebody stuffed a rag into the airbox inlet - it simply was not needed on a stock engine and was a waste of money, unless you do it for the exhaust smell. :)

If your engine has power mods that require higher octane in the 100s in order to just run without self-distructing, or if you live in some part of the world where good-quality gas is uncommon from a gas station, that's different.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:03 am

Pure gas (unleaded) is better for engines than ethanol mix.

All vehicles state what is the minimum octane to use safely in a stock engine...any more is a waste of money (IMO), any less can damage the engine (proven). It's directly related to the compression psi of the combustion chamber.

Lead was once used to raise the octane and lubricate the valves. It also served to cushion the contact point of the valves to the seats. Since that time, the seats have been hardened and substitutes have been added to protect the internals from excessive friction.

I see no advantage in using higher than recommend in stock compression engines and as stated before the lead in aviation fuel will cause problems in the stock exhaust system.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:37 pm

You may even get more ethonal with higher actane. Try to get preminum (high actane) out on the trail most of the time. usa sick Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Aviation fuel takes a looong time to go bad... if your storing your bike it would be benificial to fill up with it, but for day to day riding its a waste of money.
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Biglake wrote:
Aviation fuel takes a looong time to go bad... if your storing your bike it would be benificial to fill up with it, but for day to day riding its a waste of money.

Sta-Bil - Fuel Stabilizer <-- clicky

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 pm

motokid wrote:
Biglake wrote:

Sta-Bil - Fuel Stabilizer <-- clicky

That stuff works good too, but if you already have aviation fuel for your other bikes theres no need to buy it.
Back to top Go down
Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:34 pm

My assumption would be a change in the tuning/ignition timing would be needed in order to run the fuel efficiently (achieving maximum power) with it. Octane in greater quantity, from my understanding, provides more resistance in the mixture to detonation. Therefore, in higher compression engines where mixture would be more likely to detonate prior to top dead center, you would need higher octane content to resist until this point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aviation Fuel in the WR250?   

Back to top Go down

Aviation Fuel in the WR250?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1