Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

scotts stainless washable oil filters

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rideonjon

scotts stainless washable oil filters Empty
PostSubject: scotts stainless washable oil filters   scotts stainless washable oil filters EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 pm

so is anyone using these filters and how are they working for you.it all looks good on the comp. screen but i would like some real world responses.
cheers,
jon
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: scotts stainless washable oil filters   scotts stainless washable oil filters EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:52 am

Just read this - http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: scotts stainless washable oil filters   scotts stainless washable oil filters EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 am

Sorry - not real world as in I have used the stainless filters, but perhaps real world in terms of economics.

If I were doing a round the world ride, I'd use one to avoid needing parts in places where new filters might be a challenge.

Riding in North America or Europe, I'd stick to OEM filters for $8 ea (vs $70 for Scotts). Easier to change, and break-even on price is years away. Depending on how much you ride and how often you change filters, there won't be any savings unless you keep the bike for quite a few years.

So unless a) you believe the stainless steel filter is actually better at filtering, or b) you ride huge mileage, I don't think there is a case for one.

I use OEM single-use oil filters.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: scotts stainless washable oil filters   scotts stainless washable oil filters EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Also SS filters are unable to stop long thin burr type contaminate.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: scotts stainless washable oil filters   scotts stainless washable oil filters EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:05 am

skrew wrote:
Just read this - http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

Yes, but before you go to follow Mr Lawrence's recommendations know they mostly pertain to 4 wheelers and the two companies he seems to favor Mobil-1 and Purolator don't make filters for the WRR. Also the filtering info he uses is what paper filters can do at their best (9-20micron filtering), but does not mention their worst 56-300micron particle passing. While Scotts's SS filter's have an 'absolute' micro particulate pass of 35microns or simply that is the largest size particle that they will pass unlike paper which will pass up to 300micron size particles. So in fairness read also Scott's FAQ sheet on filtering (made by motorcyclists for motorcyclists). http://www.scottsonline.com/faq.php Sleep

Last edited by pfy50 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: scotts stainless washable oil filters   scotts stainless washable oil filters EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:16 am

jon_l wrote:
Sorry - not real world as in I have used the stainless filters, but perhaps real world in terms of economics.

If I were doing a round the world ride, I'd use one to avoid needing parts in places where new filters might be a challenge.

Riding in North America or Europe, I'd stick to OEM filters for $8 ea (vs $70 for Scotts). Easier to change, and break-even on price is years away. Depending on how much you ride and how often you change filters, there won't be any savings unless you keep the bike for quite a few years.

So unless a) you believe the stainless steel filter is actually better at filtering, or b) you ride huge mileage, I don't think there is a case for one.

I use OEM single-use oil filters.

Yes jon_l your right they probably don't pay for them selves right away but I used up 4 paper filters during the first 3500mile break in so now I only need 5 filters changes X 3000m= 15000 miles more till the SS filter starts paying for itself. Plus I like long distance rides not having to carry spare filters on the road. Just pour kerosene in the open end, wipe the rubber gasket off, and blow it out puke . replace it and your on the road again. tough
Back to top Go down
rideonjon

PostSubject: Re: scotts stainless washable oil filters   scotts stainless washable oil filters EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 2:39 am

i'm going to be commuting on my wr 1000km's a week so i think the Scotts filter will work well for me.thanks for the replies.
cheers,
jon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scotts stainless washable oil filters   scotts stainless washable oil filters Empty

Back to top Go down

scotts stainless washable oil filters
Page 1 of 1