Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Why Buy WR250R

Go down 
+3
skierd
miniceptor86
arlenaas
7 posters
AuthorMessage
arlenaas

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Looking at buying a WR250R. Owned 7-8 KLR650's and looking at getting something a little lighter as I don't think I will be doing much more long distance touring. Looked through this site some hoping to learn if the WR is pretty dependable and trouble free. Dealer says yes........of course. Looking at HONDA and Suzuki. Any advice why buy the WR?
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 5:42 pm

March Cycle World has a comparison on the 250 dual sports that might give you some food for thought.

Jim
Back to top Go down
skierd

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm

I still feel that the Wr250R is the best 50/50 dual sport on the market. Smoother and lighter than the 650 class thumpers with nearly the same power, not too much heavier than the plated dirt bikes, one of the better factory dual sport suspensions, excellent gearing spread for tight trails and highway riding, good fuel economy, nearly no-maintenance with no must-do reliability mods (no doohickies, etc). Add on the fairly comfortable riding position, big 350w stator to run whatever electrical gear you want, fuel injection, a decent stock headlight, and strong subframe to carry whatever you want, and its a nearly impossible to beat package for a dual sport. Mine has just under 43,000 trouble free miles on it, and is currently outside in the deep freeze of my porch here in Fairbanks, AK (its -50 outside today) after riding up here from Maryland back in April, after riding to Key West then to Oklahoma before heading back to Baltimore in 2011, and spending its life back home commuting in the urban jungle of Baltimore-DC metro area and bashing it through the woods in the Appalachians and hard dual sport rides in MD, WV, and PA. All its ever needed are oil changes, air filter cleanings, tires, and the occasional chain+sprockets.

The DRZ400 is close, but its gearing is too close for really long highway rides in comfort, has way more vibes overall, has a weak charging and starting system, and needs more than a couple reliability fixes to keep it running well. The DR650 is tough as nails, but is big and heavy. I'd consider a DR650 over my WR, if the price was right... maybe... but the both times I bought my WR250R I passed over the DR.

The XR650L is equally ancient and bigger/heavier than the DR. The CRF250L is close to the WR, but has a cheaper suspension, less power, less electrical output, no aftermarket gas tank options yet, and is generally a lower spec machine more on part with the newly fuel injected XT250.

Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Skierd had a bunch of good points but I would like to add a little bit. Honda really dissapointed me! Sold my CR250 when I was younger and wanted another Honda but they offer a 230 and a 650. The 230L was very short on me and under powered. The 650L Is a BIG BIKE and comes in at 346lbs. The DRZ400 isnt a bad option either. Its the same size and price as the WR but a little more horses. I also had a chance to ride a KLX250 and it was also shorter with less power but the best price of all. After exhausting myself researching all these bikes, the Yamaha was perfect for me. Would you mind sharing your height and weight? If I had $9500 I would get the KTM. I am very very satisfied with my WR and havent had one single issue with it.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 7:13 pm

I think Skierd nailed it. Personally I came from a KLR650 to the WR250R and have zero regrets. I don't think I have given anything up except perhaps some load carrying capacity. The lighter weight, no vibes, electrical output, and reliability alone are enough to sell the WR over the others you are considering. You DO have to have a thick skin to deal with some of the folks who look down on a bike that is "just a 250". Who cares? - the only person you have to please is YOU. Their loss if they cannot understand it AFAIK. By the way they generally change their tune if they have a chance to try out the WR. Anyways, getting off topic a bit here.

Why buy WR250R? Answer: You won't get much better bang for buck and it is an awesome motorcycle !
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 pm

The WR is the most fun bike I have.

Personally I don't care what it is, moped, scooter, motorcycle, pedal bike as long as its too wheels riding it is fun and for those elitist, too bad your missing a lot of fun.

And at 66 I should have an idea of what fun is!

Jim
Back to top Go down
Biglake

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 7:28 pm

I have a KLR 650 and a gasgas ec 250 up for sale, the WRR replaced them both.
Its just as comfy as the KLR at speeds under 100 km/h and has no vibes at all.
With some suspension mods its just as capable off road as the gasgas, it doesnt have near as much power, but I've been beat in off road races by smaller bikes lol.
I have more fun riding the WRR hard than I had riding the gasgas easy as I cant use all its power very often, in tight woods a 250 four stroke is the perfect size unless you are really fast which ill never be lol.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

I would love to try an EC200...but even before, reality dictates I can ride my wrr more and more often.
I'm still a noob, but have heard plenty criticism of big bore offroad bikes around here.

Anywho, I'm goin for it, trail wise.
Hopefully I'll get better, but i can't imagine giving up anything my wrr will do...would help my quest.

It just keeps doing everything....how do ya top that without giving up something?

Back to top Go down
Biglake

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:59 pm

You can come ride my ec250 it works awesome, I dont see why people like the 200 gasgas its the exact same size and wieght as the 250 but with less power, KTMs 200 is a bunch smaller and lighter than the gasgas 200. The 250 is pretty mellow if you keep the revs down and if you want to go like hell just rev it up, its a wicked race bike with a plate for the road, its not happy on the road or open fire roads at all tho, which is why I have a WRR now.
Im just as fast in the woods on my WRR it hooks up better in the snotty stuff than the lighter 2 stroke too, this could be because of my size tho, im 240 and find the WRR plenty light.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 pm

Hey, thanks for the offer.
I sometimes find myself passing your way, maybe we could get a ride in...with the weather today, that might not be too far off.
Here's me hoping thumb
Back to top Go down
Biglake

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 pm

I miss the snow once packed down it makes for awesome trail riding, with grip studs you can ride on any terrain.
Im going for a ride on sunday even tho all the snows gone with a guy on a KTM 300, last weekend I went with a 570 berg and a KTM 300, I think its funny leading the way on the smallest bike Very happy
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm scared of the ice'/
...but studs sound cool.
I've only pushed the winter trails on a mountain bike...and they were some good rides, even if not all.
Sofar I've dropped it on the ice often...so, I avoid that now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why Buy WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Buy WR250R   Why Buy WR250R Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Buy WR250R
Page 1 of 1