Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?

Go down 
+3
mcdoudlehopper
GunMetal87
yaw
7 posters
AuthorMessage
yaw

Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:42 pm

I want to purchase a mount for a tool tube. Hoping to mount it like the muffler but on the opposite side. I've seen people make their own but I have no metal fabrication abilities. Seems there might be a market for this little gizmo. Anyone building one?
Back to top Go down
GunMetal87

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 pm

I have been thinking about trying to rig one but I also have no experience with welding.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 pm

welding would be too heavy, go to your local harware store and you can buy PVC pipe with threaded cap. Would be way lighter.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 am

These guys used to offer a nice tool tube with mounting brackets specific to the WR. I could not find it for you on their web site though. You may want to give them a call. They are very cool and easy to deal with and will give you a discount as a member of this forum.

Automotive Machine Supply
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:24 am

Here is one a chick made step by step!

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/xt225_tool_tube/

or just buy one of these.

http://thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/25471-totally-tubular-tool-tube.html
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 am

I used some stainless steel band (for making stainless steel hose clamps) and stainless steel nuts and bolts to make the clamps:
Tool tube <-- linky
thumb
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 2:10 am

My tool tube mounting was limited due to proximity of copious adv gear.  As luck would have it, this drove me to a very simple and effective mounting option.
Sometimes I get lucky... sometimes ... not so much baldy
In my case the tool tube chosen is the Mega Tube version sold here;
http://www.thetooltube.com/MegaTube.html

Chose that tube in order to hold enough support tools to minimize being at a loss during extended adv riding... think Prudhoe Bay and Ushuaia in the same trip... starting in Florida.
Placed my tool tube relatively high (not good) but away from flailing branches, perilous tip-over vulnerability, etc. MOST of the tool tube's contents were chosen with weight consciousness in mind, so the loaded tool tube is relatively light.

2 point attachedment via;

• (A) 1" ring and hose clamp at the frame between the right side-plate and the seat, which accommodates a mid tube strap for quick release,

• (B) Padlocked on the "high" aft-end to a small strap-loop bolted to the forward corner of the Pelican top case.

The latter attachment point is less about theft prevention, and more about stable positioning for rough roads. It is my intention to do a thorough write-up soon on my WRR adventure rigging, which will detail how everything is attached. Ping me if I forget to mention the tool tube mounting, and I will be SURE to cover  it in detail (with pictures). What I liked most about the mounting solution was it cost only a few dollars in commonly available parts, is easily repaired abroad if damaged in a spill, and involved no welding or fabrication (aside from the fab work involved during the prior top case mounting, which was at the heart of the overall scheme). When the tool tube and top case are removed for trail riding, the only mounting provisions still on the bike are the 1" ring and small hose clamp, which are barely visible, and weigh about an ounce. The arrangement is in a location that does not get mud from the rear tire, does NOT restrict my seating or movement during technical riding, is VERY stable yet pliant enough to "give" if impacted hence withstanding abuse, and does not interfere with the expansion of my Wolfman saddlebag on that side (right side). Its location also helps to balance the weight of the 1.75g Rotopax water container on the opposite (left) side.
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 am

Notice tool tube "feet" rest on Wolfman crossbar and exhaust shield
Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? 10141515

Lock through Tool Tube's lid-lock cable, lid, and secured to strap bar screwed to Pelican case. Lock's main purpose is to keep everything securely positioned up and down, while mid-strap keeps everything from bouncing. Everything has enough "give" to survive a crash without easily bending or breaking.
The strap at the tool tube's mid section is run through a 1" ring, which is secured to the sub-frame with a small hose clamp located between the side panel and muffler shield... easy-peasy. No welds or custom fab-work involved aside from drilling two holes into the Pelican
Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? 10141516

Plenty of room to use all real estate on the seat.
Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? 10141517

Mud-flap between two gas cans = SMILE
Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? 10141518
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?   Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone make a tool tube mount for R2?
Page 1 of 1