Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What tools for a multi-day solo ride?

Go down 
+7
oic0
mcdoudlehopper
sturgeon
miniceptor86
gatorfan
BoredAzHell20
on_the_edge
11 posters
AuthorMessage
on_the_edge

tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? Empty
PostSubject: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm

I am very new to the mechanical aspects of WR250 repair. I have only had my 2011 for a few months and it has needed no repairs nor have I mechanically modified it. With spring approaching, I am considering a small trip of maybe 5 days that will be mostly off road and away from civilization. My question is this: what tools or items would you take in order to feel assured that you could fix almost anything that might go wrong if you were a bit far from someone who could help? Of course, a cell phone is a no-brainer, but I am more interested in fixing the issue myself rather than getting help to me miles off the beaten path.

Please be specific with your recommendations (tool sizes, etc.).
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 am

My number 1 concern when riding is getting a flat.

You will need two tire spoons
Bead buddy is helpful
Baby powder
CO2 air cartridge and inflater
A portable bike lift. Something that can hold the front tire or rear tire off the ground while you change your tire.
a set of tubes for front and rear tire

Practice changing your tire with the only the tools you will be carrying. no fancy bike stands or tools you will not normally carry due to weight (large breaker bars, etc...)
If you can take off and put on your front and rear tire with the tools you are planning to carry you are set.

I would also carry some JB weld for any cracks that might occur. Cracked radiator, etc...

I usually carry all of this stuff for even single day ride. I've been caught off guard with a busted tube on a mountain and it was not fun at all walking the bike down a 2 mile steep cliff in 90 degree weather.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:55 am

Agree with flat repair as first priority. Here is a nice little stand:

tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? 110

They can be purchased here: http://www.endurostar.com/

They sell multi-function spoons too - with sockets at opposite end of spoon.

I would add a set of jumper cables too. I know you said solo but you may be able to flag someone down for a jump. They weigh nothing and take up no space.

Above all - cell phone and small bottle of whiskey.
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 am

Whiskey? Hopefully that is "tongue in cheek" The last thing you need is something to cloud your judgement.

I like the Tubliss system, I have ridden over ten miles with a flat rear tire including a dual sport hero section. Still had to repair the tire but I wasn't stranded because the tire came off the rim.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 am

gatorfan wrote:

I would add a set of jumper cables too. I know you said solo but you may be able to flag someone down for a jump. They weigh nothing and take up no space.

Above all - cell phone and small bottle of whiskey.

Gatorfan, where did you find zero-weight, no-space jumper cables?

+1 to the whiskey freaky
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:32 am

you can bump start the bike.. WHY would you carry jumper cables around? Thats xtra weight and a TON of space. IMO
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Bump start with a completely dead battery? Haven't tried it on this one, but other EFI bikes I've had wouldn't start that way.
Back to top Go down
on_the_edge

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:42 pm

What about tools that would come in handy for something other than a flat, say perhaps to put on a chain to replace a broken one, fix a broken clutch lever or gear shifter, or maybe something else that might unexpectedly be an issue?
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 8:05 pm

I carry a Leatherman in a case plus a MotionPro multifunction tool supplemented with a couple of extra sockets as req'd. Spare master link for the chain. Goes in a pocket and doesn't hurt much when you fall on it deal
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
you can bump start the bike.. WHY would you carry jumper cables around? Thats xtra weight and a TON of space. IMO

You can not bump start a bike in the dead flat sand and mud which is the North Florida swamps.

Cables? 10G wire and clips will do. No need for those big mamas from the auto parts store. But I forgot, most of you are not confined to off road hell holes like me.

Oh, and the whiskey? That's for when you're waiting for you buddy to arrive with the truck.

Last edited by gatorfan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 pm

on_the_edge wrote:
What about tools that would come in handy for something other than a flat, say perhaps to put on a chain to replace a broken one, fix a broken clutch lever or gear shifter, or maybe something else that might unexpectedly be an issue?

To get a flat has a lot higher chance of failing than a broken chain or a chain coming off. If a chain does break, 90 percent of the time I see them smack against the crank case causing a big crack and making the bike not mobile.

But if you want to fix a broken chain you will need a chain breaker (to take off the broken link), an extra master link, channel locks, plus all the tools to remove the rear wheel since you might need some adjustment if you add a link.

Every time I see broken brake/clutch levers, it will just snap it in half and will still be able to ride. Also this is where handguards can come in handy. Usually it will prevent broken levers.

Bent shift lever can be fixed easily with large channel locks. That's what I used to rebend mine out. If you neeed to take off the shift lever for any reason you will need allen wrench set.

Honestly out of all the rides I've been on, these are the types of trouble I see happening:
flat tire: 98 percent of the time when something goes wrong, it's a flat. This happens a lot and should not be taken lightly.
Cracked radiator: rocks will get kicked up by the front tire. Some times the radiator guard just can't top a rock. It usually damages the fins and cause a small leak.
Running out of gas
or just engine trouble that cannot be fixed at spot of failure.

First get tools that can fix a flat.
Bring an allan wrench set
Various socket set or wrenches 8mm 10mm 12mm, 22mm, 24mm
Flat and phillips head screw driver
channel lock
needle nose pliers
pliers
crescent wrench

Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Just wondering how many people would rather trash a tire and ride out of the woods rather than push the bike? Never been faced with a flat yet and guess I'm not really prepaired yet as well.
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 am

If the only down fall is only trashing the tires and there wasn't the possibility of the wheels getting damaged, I would trash the tires if I didn't have any tools with me and the roads are flat and easy.

but if the trail is technical (lot of climbing and rocks) riding on a flat is more difficult than walking next to the bike with the motor on.

Either way, I had to walk my bike once and never wanted to do it again. It was horrible.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 2:48 pm

The only thing I will add to all that they have mentioned is a pair of wire snips. Never know when you might need to cut something. Also, maybe a chain and lock? in case you do have to leave the bike somewhere, it will take a lock cutter to steal it.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 pm

I like the cutter idea incase you brake a spoke or something but maybe electrical tape that too another one.

tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? Thcapv10
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 pm

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t8295-the-verdict-on-tire-balls

Best investment I ever made. Just bought another set for my Rhino...
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:52 pm

I like to carry as little as posible all I would take is...
a front tube, it will work in the back too, small hand pump, tire levers, wrenches to remove wheels, multi tool, multi bit screw driver, hay wire, electical tape, allen wrenches, tow strap, spare fuses and quick setting expoxy putty for metal ( jb weld takes hours to dry this stuff takes minutes ) if you cant fix your bike with this stuff its not going to be fixable on the trail.
Theres no need to carry a bike stand to fix tires on the trail, just lay the bike on its side.
Booster cables are nice to have, if your in places its hard to push start the bike. I have a set thats about as big as a pack of smokes when balled up.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:05 pm

GusinCA wrote:
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t8295-the-verdict-on-tire-balls

Best investment I ever made. Just bought another set for my Rhino...

Gusin, I checked their web site. All "off road" am I correct?

---------------------------------------------------

I FOUND IT: NO GO ON THE STREET.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 11:20 am

They are technically for off road only, but as long as you don't put on a lot of highway miles it's fine.

What they want to avoid is people burning them up by riding 70 on the freeway for hours at a time...

The OP said "mostly off road" so I thought I'd throw it in here... :)
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Hmmm... Carried in Baja.
This is what lives in my Wolfman tail pack...

Leatherman Multi-tool
Tusk mini-collapsable T-Wrench (1/4" drive)
1/4" drive to 3/8" adaptor
Sockets - 8mm to 14mm
Sockets - Allen Wrenches 2mm to 8mm
Open end wrenches - 8mm to 14mm
27x22 box end wrench (for axle)
T-Handle Screwdriver - 3 phillips and 3 blade bits and some Torx fasteners (mostly for other peoples bikes)
Vice grips - 6" or so
Knipex adustable wrench opens to 35 mm, about 7 inches long (fantastic tool).
Motion Pro Chain tool (breaks and re-assembles o-ring chain)
2 extra master links... and about 3 chain links.
15 (or so) nylon t-wraps
Seal-all + tube sealer + tire patches, Wrapped in Duct tape.
Stainless Wire, about 10'
6' (or so) piece of electrical wire.
Small Roll of electrical Tape
Matches
Spare brake and clutch levers
Side stand for raising bike (Endurostar)
Emergency blanket
Small First Aid kit
Mini foot pump (I don't use cartridges anymore)
2 pcs 10' 5/16" rope (tow line or retrieval line)
6' of small plastic gas line (refuling)
Mini reading - glasses (for an old guy)
12" fiskars saw
Knife sharpener and fire starter
Flashlight
Spark Plug

Front Fender Bag
21" tube (packed in a freezer bag... with powder)
3 tire irons
Small can of WD-40

Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Holy crap, I don't think I have that much stuff anywhere!

I carry some water, some food, some first aid stuff and 2 satellite rescue beacons, on continuous tracking and the other a 5 watt EPIRB.
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Out in Baja you're a long ways from help.
Also carry a SPOT... but that's basically for emergencies.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 am

I am one of those guys who carries enough basic tools and spares to be able to deal with flat tires, electrical issues, broken chain, etc. Some of my riding friends don't bother with that stuff ( a mentality that I just cannot comprehend) but I do notice they are happy to borrow my tools when they get in a jam. I think the trick is to decide on what minimal tools etc you need for normal stuff that could happen and avoid going overboard with it. If you are careful your kit can be quite compact and light.

Back to the thread question - the only thing I did not notice so far that I would suggest is a small bit of duct tape.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 1:39 pm

saddletramp wrote:
I am one of those guys who carries enough basic tools and spares to be able to deal with flat tires, electrical issues, broken chain, etc. Some of my riding friends don't bother with that stuff ( a mentality that I just cannot comprehend) but I do notice they are happy to borrow my tools when they get in a jam. I think the trick is to decide on what minimal tools etc you need for normal stuff that could happen and avoid going overboard with it. If you are careful your kit can be quite compact and light.

Back to the thread question - the only thing I did not notice so far that I would suggest is a small bit of duct tape.

If you're riding in a group shouldn't you have a "group plan" - ie; "you carry this, I'll carry this".

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What tools for a multi-day solo ride?   tools - What tools for a multi-day solo ride? Empty

Back to top Go down

What tools for a multi-day solo ride?
Page 1 of 1