Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?

Go down 
+6
crazy_dave
oic0
IAmABug
bigg
motokid
gatorfan
10 posters
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? Empty
PostSubject: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 6:48 pm

So which is easier for newbie ... clutch or power wheelie?

Any other advise before I start learning these? Pray Pray
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 6:58 pm

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1151-second-gear-no-clutch-power-wheelie?highlight=wheelie <-- clicky

Everything I've read says go with clutch.

You don't want to use first gear to learn, and second gear (as you'll see in linked thread) is tough to power wheelie in.

GEAR GEAR GEAR

Cover back brake, and wear gear.

Take video and post it too.,... thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm quite interested as well in this.

I was trying to do learn power wheelies before winter struck, and I did manage to get the wheel up, but they are more like micro wheelies. don't get off the ground for more than maybe 20-25 cm. I think with the stock gearing (which I have), it's pretty darn hard to do proper power wheelies. you have to tug those bars like a beast. GAHHHH

I think now that winter will be gone soon, I will give clutch wheelies a try. My only worry is my clutch life. I don't really want to replace my clutch after only 20,000 miles or so (I'm at 11,000 now).

maybe someone can give some input as to their clutch life regarding wheelies? not the maniac crazy kinda hooligan guys that wheelie off every single intersection or so on, I'm just trying to learn so that I can safely and swiftly clear things like kerbs and other obstacles of that type
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Clutch is by far more predicable. Ideally, I was told, the rev you are holding when you pop the clutch, or slip it quickly to be more accurate, should hold you up as well. You shouldn't have to 'play' the throttle so to speak.

I say find a little incline and practice there. I started getting first gear up consistently then went to second. I can now carry second and switch to third. In the dirt to clear logs etc, I tend to downshift to second, crack it and lean back.

Worse thing with power wheelies I find is the bike has a tendency to come up slow then snap up. Unnerving. I can however power wheelie third gear, but I can't seem to get it to come up with the clutch for more then ten feet.

My $0.02
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 pm

I havent had much luck with them either. Used to machines that just come up when you twist the throttle and aren't sitting on the gas tank. I keep trying to clutch it up in second but no luck. I think its mostly learned fear from the other bikes that has me ingrained with natural instincts to avoid doing a back flip.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Clutch it!
The idea is to get the bike to its BP (balance point) ASAP so you can let off the throttle and have more control at slow speeds.
With power wheelies you’re always chasing the front end, going faster and faster.
Sitting down if you can get the handlebars just above eye level you will be very close to the BP. Even then you have a little more room to go before you loop it.
Just stay calm, take baby step, wear your gear, and cover the rear brake.
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm already trying to wheelie this bike. I can wheelie my rm125 pretty good but this bike is a little more difficult for me, probably just because its new to me. Only 4 days. Lol so every time I go out I just try a little. And still learning how the bike reacts to throttle and what not. I got spooked a few times from launching in first hard and the front wheel came off the ground quiet a bit. Haha but then I get scared and set it down. I think I'm more nervous because I'm on the street, not the dirt. And the bike was 5k lol
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:52 am

Gearing helps alot with this bike. I went with a 13/48 and I can ride them for miles now.
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:11 pm

A little seat bump helps alot.

You hardly have to lift your arse off the seat. Let the clutch fly just before or at the moment your butt bumps the seat.
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 pm

That's a good hint too! So I just ordered a 12t front sprocket. Hope this helps a little for me
Back to top Go down
DestinationOffroad

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 5:27 pm

IAmABug wrote:
I can however power wheelie third gear,

Really? Jeez
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 5:29 pm

DestinationOffroad wrote:
IAmABug wrote:
I can however power wheelie third gear,

Really? Jeez

Off road - or on asphalt?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 am

Dirt or road. Half throttle'ish in third, little bump and I just give a tug and it comes up. Easier on a uphill. But it does require some form of bump curb rock root etc.
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 am

Still haven't put the sprocket on! It's been raining and I haven't been able to ride to work. I'm waiting to do the work at my shop. Can't wait haha
Back to top Go down
haygood

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Is anyone running a 13/45 or 46 tooth setup? Will it do a power wheelie in 2nd gear with this?
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 am

No it won't, that's about the same as what I'm running now. I have 12-43
If I bounce the hell out of it and pull really hard it comes up a little
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am

I'm actually wanting to run 12-45 or 46
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?   Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie? Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutch Wheelie vs Power Wheelie?
Page 1 of 1