Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
treeklimber

No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold Empty
PostSubject: No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold   No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi all,

My neutral light goes out once my bike is warmed up. Before I run out and buy a sensor I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I found one guy who this happened to in 2010 but not sure what the outcome was.

I looked at the wire going to the sensor just behind the shifter and it shows no visible damage although the sensor itself is pretty dirty/oily from the road. The wire did seem overly taught with super tight zipties.

It's most irritating when warming the bike up with the kickstand down. As soon as the bike gets up to temp the neutral light will go out and the bike will die (cause kickstand sensor must rely on neutral sensor).

Thanks in advance and ride safe everyone!
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold   No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am

Are you handy with an Volt/Ohm meter? I would get an Ohm resistance while cold then check after warmed up. You could also have a clutch problem maybe? (speculating) I would also check continuity through sensor and to ground. Too many people in this world are just parts changers. I wouldnt buy a new one unless you could prove the old one is bad. Just saying.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold   No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:07 am

Not a direct solution but most of us disable that kickstand safety switch because they are prone to fail at the most inopportune time and you end up trying to figure out why your bike will not start. At least if you by-pass it your bike will keep running when you are warming it up on while it is on the sidestand.
Back to top Go down
treeklimber

PostSubject: Re: No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold   No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 am

While I can climb the hell out of a tree, I'm a pretty poor electical technician. I have an ohms meter. I should probably start reading up on how to use it for something like this.

Yesterday I wiggled the wire out from the zip ties a bit and I noticed it took longer for the neutral light to go out. Stayed on throughout warmup, then failed after engine got run hard. Because of the heat equation, could it be solder? Expansion and contraction? The sensor and wire are tight against the lower case.

I like the kickstand sensor disconnect idea temporarily. I really want to figure out this neutral light issue though. It's the only thing wrong with this awesome bike!
Back to top Go down
way

PostSubject: Re: No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold   No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 pm

Same problem here. Anybody find a solution?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold   No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 7:36 am

The service manual does not give a nominal resistance value, so the only way to troubleshoot this would be to get a new switch and see if the problem goes away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold   No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold Empty

Back to top Go down

No neutral light when bike is hot but works when cold
Page 1 of 1