Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

tire pressure question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
motardmixion

motardmixion

tire pressure question Empty
PostSubject: tire pressure question   tire pressure question EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:37 pm

hey so i rode the bike to the shop today and installed my 12t sprocket, awesome! alot more low end torque, just what i wanted.

i was messing around a little with some 2nd gear wheelies, mind you it was about 45 degrees out, I cant tell if my clutch is slipping when i dump it, or if the tire is just spinning...lol, my guess is the tire spinning, my bikes only got 3500 miles on it and cant seem the clutch starting to slip yet.

what psi are you guys running in the rear tire for this? im at 28lbs i believe, front and rear......

Is this to much?

I know for normal riding yea its fine but for wanting to do some wheelies and not just spinning the tire I should lower it.

just let me know what you all are running in the rear for psi

thanks

Evan
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: tire pressure question   tire pressure question EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 2:03 am

Hey mate - at those low miles you wouldn't expect any excess clutch wear, but in saying this just make sure that you have some free play at the clutch lever. Also good habit to just check for some free play at the clutch lever mechanism at the gearbox end as well. ( All things being equal if you have your normal free play at the lever end, then it should be all ok at the other end ). Easy 30sec inspection to just check at both ends of the clutch cable, then you can be 100% sure that these basic items are covered.

As for the tyre pressures in regards to poping the front up, then yes this may help in a small way - but really the main part is clutch use at the "sweet spot" in the rev range. I'd also say your position on the seat will be of more benifit than a few PSI difference in the tyres. ( IE, Try sitting a little further back on the seat to help with weight transfer, 2 fold benifit = to lighten the front end & also help with better traction over the rear tyre ).

I'm also playing around with 1st & 2nd gear clutch slips on my new WRR to find the balance point. I've been up fairly high but not quite there yet. I have a feeling that the BP is pretty high on these bikes. My old XR600R was the wheelie king - very comfy balance point to be able to change thru all 5 gears whilst on the back wheel. ( Only needed slight throttle off to come down with the good decompression of the big bore thumpa ). This is my only concern with the little 250cc as it's not in my habit or nature to cover the rear brake when practicing....so i'm not sure if there is enough engine braking on throttle off to bring the front down if go past BP ).

Cheers Gavin.
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: tire pressure question   tire pressure question EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 2:44 am

yeah the seat psoition is actually good food for thought, now since i think about it, I think I sit way to far forward. I have to fight the instinct that i have, I try and clutch it up but then i find myself hugging to close to the tank. may just out of fear haha idk, just gotta cover my break and let her rip i guess while sitting back a little. im still practicing, going slow because i dont wanna loop it around, its weird because i can wheelie the shit ou of my RM125....but not this bike. haha probably due to the fact im on the street and im still a little new ha

thanks for the input.

RIDE SAFE

Evan
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: tire pressure question   tire pressure question EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 7:41 am

I used tire pressure in the low 20s (PSI) on my WR-250X.
I also used Michelin Pilot Powers front and rear.
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: tire pressure question   tire pressure question EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah I have the battleax bt016 rear. So far pretty good for me. It's a 150/60 and the chain rubs a little but not to bad haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tire pressure question   tire pressure question Empty

Back to top Go down

tire pressure question
Page 1 of 1