Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Q4 Reassembly Problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Q4 Reassembly Problem Empty
PostSubject: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Took Q4 apart to repack and can't get outer section to slide all the way down to line up the holes. It stops a couple cm's short.

It's because the end of the inner section butts up against the lip in the end cap (see pic to see the "lip" I'm talking about). I assume the end of the inner sectioin is ment to slide past that lip so the outer section can slide all the way on.

Hope that's clear.

I've been trying to wrestle this thing together for an hour. The inner section simply will not slide past that lip. I would be losing my hair - if I had any. baldy

Q4 Reassembly Problem Img_0111
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 pm

click me <-- Not sure if this helps or not.

Might.

Your picture doesn't show me much, but I haven't repacked mine yet.

Soon though.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 11:31 pm

Here are better pics:

The 2 pieces need to come together more for the holes to line up.

Q4 Reassembly Problem Img_0113

They won't because the end of the inner section will not slide past that "ridge" or "lip" on the inside of the outer section. I assume it is supposed to?

Q4 Reassembly Problem Img_0114

I had hair before I started this project.

Q4 Reassembly Problem Img_0115
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 12:11 am

I know it's a pain, but it will go back together!

What kind of packing did you use? I used their 4-stroke FMF packing, didn't last a month..

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 12:14 am

Peterbuilt wrote:
I know it's a pain, but it will go back together!

What kind of packing did you use? I used their 4-stroke FMF packing, didn't last a month..

I am using same. Good to know as I still have time to try something else. Pillow vs. Pressed?

Just need to know if inner section slides past flange on end cap --- if so I will keep wrestling with it.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 7:19 am

Clean off that old sealant and any other spooge and crud from the parts that need to slide over each other.
Apply a bead of new sealant to the area.
It often requires a tap or three to get the parts to go together.
Make sure you don't have the canister flipped 180 degrees off.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 am

Did you get the correct packing?

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/exhaust/112-repacking-fmf-q4 <-- clicky

Quote :
UPDATE: Spoke with FMF today....after 10 minutes on hold. Anway, the Rep said I should use the "FMF 4-stroke Performance Packing" (Product # 011393) for the Q4. Not the "FMF 'Q' Series Pillow Performance Packing" (Product # 0113940). Huh...? Standby, I think I need a Red Bull. I'm still trying to sort out the logic here...

He said the "4-stroke Performance Packing" should be the proper length to fit the Q4 (about 14 - 15 inches). Now, I need to go measure my muffler length. He did say the "Pillow Performance" and the "4-stroke Performance" packing materials were the "same stuff". So, at least I did shove the correct kind of "stuff" into my Can.

On the bright side (for you), the "4-stroke Performance Packing" is cheaper at only $11.95, while the "Pillow Performance Packing" was $24.95 (for me....twice). Golly, that sucks....don't it? So, for any of you that feel sorry for me....learning these things the hard way....on your behalf, I'm gladly accepting Paypal donations to support the cause!

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 1:52 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Clean off that old sealant ..

YZ, that's actually the new sealant in the picture. It's dry because I went back later for a pic. Everything was cleaned up real nice initially.

Can someone pull their spark arrester and see how the inner section sits in the end cap for me? I assume it slips into the end cap a cm or two otherwise it will not reassemble all the way.

Moto, I looked a Malibu Dan's repacking tutorial real well prior to mine. I just can't get the inner section to slide into the end cap ... It butts right up into that flange in the end cap. The flange seems to be out of round. I think I'm gonna try to open and round the flange a bit by gently forcing a pipe or something in there.

If you look closely at the first pic you see the flange I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Q4 Reassembly Problem Dscn3510Q4 Reassembly Problem Dscn3511

Does that help?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 6:40 pm

THANKS MOTO ... YOU ARE THE MAN.

The inner section needs to slide inside the flange on the end cap ... now I'm 100% certain.

Absolutely DO NOT smash outer section with hammer to close last few centimeters unless you are certain the 2 sections are perfectly lined up at the end cap. Otherwise you are likely to damage end cap ... like me. baldy

I added wear pics on repacking thread here >> Repacking
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Got it.

Put some masking tape over the teeth of a pair of channel locks and worked my way around the end cap - bending that flange back a couple of mm's. Just wanted to make 100% sure before I did it. Forum comes thru again.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 1:23 pm

Glad it helped. Putting that damn little screw back in the spark arrestor was a royal pain.

(I did clean up the crud from mine before I put it back together.)

Is your exhaust noticeably quieter now?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:13 pm

motokid wrote:

Is your exhaust noticeably quieter now?

Can't say. Bike is nothing but an engine and frame on garage floor at the moment. Figured I give it a full detail since it will be nearly all street after X conversion. New F will handle dirt duties!!!

Switch that PIA screw to this hex cap socket type:

Q4 Reassembly Problem Img_0118
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:21 pm

YES!!!!!!!! - what size is that?

cheers cheers cheers freaky freaky freaky

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:32 pm

motokid wrote:
YES!!!!!!!! - what size is that?

cheers cheers cheers freaky freaky freaky

It takes a 4mm hex. Looks like 16mm long and 5mm diameter. Fine thread.

I had no trouble finding it. Just take original with you to store.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:34 pm

I'll be looking through shop parts bin tomorrow.

Thanks.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 am

motokid wrote:
I'll be looking through shop parts bin tomorrow.

Thanks.

Get Stainless if you can. Less likely to pick up when being removed/installed.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:28 pm

IAmABug wrote:

Get Stainless if you can. Less likely to pick up when being removed/installed.

What do you mean by that ... "pick-up"?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Q4 Reassembly Problem   Q4 Reassembly Problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Q4 Reassembly Problem
Page 1 of 1