Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Compressed air on O-ring chain?

Go down 
+2
gatorfan
mcdoudlehopper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Compressed air on O-ring chain? Empty
PostSubject: Compressed air on O-ring chain?   Compressed air on O-ring chain? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 pm

Well, you guessed it thumb wondering if I could hit my o-ring chain with compressed air? The chain is so stiff I can make shapes out of it and hold it up to show you without it moving. droooool I've tried cleaning it and not working. Even soaked it in the parts washer at work. Just ordered a 47t and chain but would like to keep this on reserve. bert
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Compressed air on O-ring chain?   Compressed air on O-ring chain? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:01 pm

No. You will push water behind the O-ring.

If you're having trouble I would clean with kerosene and nylon brush, wipe dry, then let air dry, then lube.

Even better if you take it off and drop it in a bucket of kerosene. In which case you might as well lube the linkages.

If you're not up for taking off the swing arm you can always just take off the rear wheel, grab a large plastic bowl (like a giant salad bowl) and submerge the chain in sections.

Curious what's in the parts washer but it sounds like you were having trouble before that.

Back to top Go down
daniel123

PostSubject: Re: Compressed air on O-ring chain?   Compressed air on O-ring chain? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 5:06 am

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
The chain is so stiff I can make shapes out of it and hold it up to show you without it moving.

I thought that this (to a point) was fairly normal? I have about 8 links standing upright on my desk at work.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Compressed air on O-ring chain?   Compressed air on O-ring chain? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 5:30 am

Don't parts washers tend to be de-greasers too?

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Not sure if the cleaning agents in those is hard on ruuber o-rings either? dunno

I've cleaned my chain with WD-40 and an old toothbrush, and a rag before.

How old is chain? How many miles? Is it rusty looking?

I'd go with gatorfan's recommendation if you can.
Soak it in kerosene in a pan for a few days if you can.

Since you're getting a new chain, you'll have plenty of time to experiment.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Compressed air on O-ring chain?   Compressed air on O-ring chain? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Most parts washers at repair shops use an "environmentally friendly" solvent. Not sure what's in it but I can tell you it will swell most rubber material & almost dissolves latex gloves. I would stick with kerosene or WD-40 to clean the grime off the chain & lube it with your favorite chain lube.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Compressed air on O-ring chain?   Compressed air on O-ring chain? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Your chains toast, trow it out.
The O rings seal pretty good and keep out all the crap you soak it in and clean it with so nothing will get into the siezed pins to lube it anyway.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Compressed air on O-ring chain?   Compressed air on O-ring chain? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 8:42 pm

The parts washer is very mild and ok for rubber. I've soaked it in everything except Kerosene just because of convenience. The chain has never been dry or ever rusted. Only got 1200 miles out of very light use and everytime it got wet, I would wash it with wd40 clean with a brush and relube with O-ring chain lube. I just want to keep this from happening to new chain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compressed air on O-ring chain?   Compressed air on O-ring chain? Empty

Back to top Go down

Compressed air on O-ring chain?
Page 1 of 1