Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Thinking of WR2 for the TAT

Go down 
+5
PonchoV
WRRSam
YZEtc
inspector
chrisjk
9 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisjk

Thinking of WR2 for the TAT Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I live in the UK but am starting to plan next year's adventure - doing the Trans America Trail with a buddy who lives in California. Naturally the bike I use is a big factor in the planning and I am currently inclining toward the WR2. I would aim to have my buddy in the USA buy it for me, then sell it at the end of the trip, or perhaps keep it for another big ride the following year - or just maybe importing it back to the UK.

I am used to bigger machines but especially for the western section, I am sure I want a lighter bike than I am used to and I am confident the WR2 would fit the bill. However, so would a few other fairly light bikes - for example, a Suzuki DRZ 400E, a KTM 250 or 450 a Husky TE310.

Before pulling out the credit card, I'd love to hear from anyone who's used their bike for a big trip and to learn of the pros and cons they discovered in the process.

Chris
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Welcome, HI!

*Once again I have no useful information, sorry
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Howdy. :)
I own a 2008 Yamaha WR-250R and a 2009 Suzuki DR-Z400SM (the street-going motard).

The DR-Z400SM is similar to but not exactly like the DR-Z400E (which was intended for off-road use only and not sold as street legal in the US, although there are ones that have been registered - somehow - for street use).
Anyway, since you would like some words to read, here's what I think about my two bikes:

DR-Z400SMK9:
Bought brandy-new in October of last year.
The bike comes from the dealer noticably choked-up with silly EPA-mandated power-snuffing features like a peanut-sized air inlet and muffler outlet.
I started doing performance mods before I even started the bike by cutting the 3X3 airbox hole and rejetting the stock carb immediately.

Have since done all of the mods that are commonly done to DR-Z400SM models - you can read about it and see pics of the bike on the ThumperTalk forums by searching for my user name (I use the user name YZEtc on both forums) and click the MY GARAGE link. :)
The way my DR-Z runs now is quite strongly and with a front brake from hell. :)

WR-250RX:
Bought this bike just this past June with only 118 miles on the odometer.
It looked brand new because the original owner obviously didn't ride it.
I actually bought it on a whim because the price I was offered seemed like a steal ($3,500 plus 6% Connecticut sales tax) and I just couldn't resist, even though I wasn't even looking for a second bike at the time.
As of right now, I'm glad I jumped at it. :)

Like with my DR-Z, the WR came with EPA features that made the bike pitifully slow-feeling.
I actually thought my WR felt like a TT-R125 the first time I rode it, and I basically pulled back into the garage and set out to read-up on what others were doing to their WR-250Rs in order to rid the bike of the EPA restrictions and make them run like they should.

Again, as with rhe DR-Z, I just did the commonly-done WR-250R mods:
1) Getting rid of the totally gay airbox flapper (the single biggest power robber - it's very sad that requlations are such that this thing was even on the bike).
2) Installing an FMF Powerbomb head pipe and Q4 muffler.
3) Installing a fuel injection programmer to richen 'er up.
I'm using an FMF Power Programmer at the moment, though I originally had the bike running a Power Commander lll USB.
That unit is now back at Dynojet Research for warranty repairs.
Either of these units will work wonderfully, I'm happy to report.
4) Lowering the incredibly tall final drive ratio to something more realistic and dirt-worthy (went from 13/43 sprockets to 12/45).
I can still cruise at 55mph without reving the tits off my WR, so that will give you an idea of how tall the gearing is stock (something like a 92mph top speed).

With these proven mods, the bike wakes right up and runs like it should.
The engine is now genuinely impressive.
It has a howling top end rev to it and makes strong power at high RPM, but at the same time, it makes nice low end torque way down in the rev range just above idle.
You won't mistake the torque in the low and middle RPM ranges for a 600, but it's as strong as you can expect a 250cc bike to be.
In fact, the more I ride my WR (now has 1,300 miles on it), the more I'm impressed with the engine.

The chassis is good.
Set the rear preload to achieve 3.5" of sag for your weight, adjust the damping clickers to suit you, and it's a good off-road chassis for some dual-purpose riding.
Mount-up your favourite off-road knobby tires, and to get a lot better than this, you'll need an off-road-only bike that comes equipped with more expensive suspension parts and less weight.

Thumbnail Sketch Comparing the Basics:
The DR-Z - in the condition it's in right now - has the power.
It should because it's 440cc.
On the scales, it weighs about the same as the WR, but because (I believe) it has a bigger crankshaft spinning around down there, it still gives you the feeling of being a little heavier, but not to the point of being a problem.
The WR revs much higher with a wailing shriek, though can't compete on outright torque and power because it has 190 less cubic centimeters.
It does, however, have enough.
It feels a bit lighter.

Hope the above information helps. :)
Back to top Go down
chrisjk

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 3:38 am

Inspector and YZEtc.,
Thanks for the welcome!

YZEtc,

Thank you very much indeed for the comprehensive reply - it's very helpful.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 4:06 am

YZEtc wrote:

The DR-Z400SM is similar to but not exactly like the DR-Z400E (which was intended for off-road use only and not sold as street legal in the US, although there are ones that have been registered - somehow - for street use).
Can't you register DR-Z400E's in USA? That sucks over here we can register them as well as enduro bikes like WR-F and CRF-X.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 8:09 am

No, having a DR-Z400E (or any other off-road-only model) registered over here is anywhere from difficult to impossible, depending on who you are, where you are, and who you know.

It used to be easy to do that in the good ol' daze of the 1970s and early 1980s, but now, with everything regulated to the max, fear of lawsuits rampant, and environmentalism propaganda being brainwashed into everyone, those days of getting it done without fear are gone.

The DR-Z400E is not even sold in the USA anymore, and the last year or two that it was, that model, too, was hit with EPA mods that made it run like the street-legal DR-Z400S.
Yes, it was an off-road-only model equipped with the same EPA features as the streel-going model.
Nice, huh? :)
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 8:30 am

YZEtc wrote:
No, having a DR-Z400E (or any other off-road-only model) registered over here is anywhere from difficult to impossible, depending on who you are, where you are, and who you know.

The DR-Z400E is not even sold in the USA anymore, and the last year or two that it was, that model, too, was hit with EPA mods that made it run like the street-legal DR-Z400S.

WOW! GAHHHH The DR-Z400E is almost a top seller over here.
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:40 pm

First welcome to the club.
I have done the TAT in 07 on my 08 KLR. There is nothing on that ride that the WR250X/R cannot handle & make you look as good as you'll feel. The only problem will be the limited size of the stock fuel tank.
There are some small towns that you'll need to refuel before getting back on the TAT's trail. What the writtings don't tell you is that these little towns some times have their own time clock as to when the gas station will be open for business. I really needed my 6 gal fuel tank a couple of times or I would have spent the night waiting for the next day to roll around & hope the owner was there before lunch.

The WRs that Yamaha put out in 08 & 09 are most certainly the bike for any adventure riding like the TAT.
Just wish the replacement tank was a couple hundred USD less. But then a two gal red plastic tahk is about 10 USD.

Suggest you keep your WR & return for a different ride at least once a year. Think of all the riders you'd meet & how many would hit you up for a place to crash at your home eeek
Back to top Go down
chrisjk

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 2:41 am

PonchoV,

Many thanks, that's useful info. I like the idea of returning for more rides - another of Sam Correro's perhaps? And you are right about meeting people. I have met some great folk and made good friends thanks to motorcycling.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 2:53 am

Chris,

AY men to that brother!
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 3:11 am

Well if you get tired of the west & don't get your head exam.
Then drop in at FL & we'll take you gator jumping in the swaps. Afterwards we eat their tails.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Sorry I'm late...again... GAHHHH Welcome to the pack! thumb I haven't had much of a chance to ride my R² this summer due to work. Hopefully you'll get to ride the TAT and have a blast. I was looking at doing some fun runs and the same problem of fuel capacity hit. I think I'll be going with the mounted aux fuel cans myself. I don't like the looks of the Safari tank. It makes it look like the bike's got a hard-on. Suspect

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 4:26 am

SheWolf wrote:
I don't like the looks of the Safari tank. It makes it look like the bike's got a hard-on. Suspect
Have you seen the tank in the flesh? I think they look quite good. BTW the guy that owned that bike had been on a 4000km ride through the Kimberley's (Australia the movie was shot there). He said it was great and would sit on 115kph fully loaded with the tank full and with gear (Stock gearing & FMF muffler).
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:33 pm

I'll stick with the jerry can. Very happy I'm sorry, I just can't get used to the idea of my bike looking like it's got an erection. Just my opinion, as I know others love it. Just not up my alley of tricks. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 3:17 am

Just park it facing the other direction........like all good things it will pass deal
Back to top Go down
evilted

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 3:17 pm

Haven't seen him chime in here yet, but fellow member skierd just finished riding the TAT on his WR250R:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500618
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 pm

Hadn't chimed in because I haven't seen this thread. Very happy

I'm a bit biased, but I think this is the perfect TAT bike. Its got the motor to do the longer high speed sections in the east, and its light enough and has a good enough suspension for the west. I didn't
do the entire trail, I had to stop at Salida, but Pax over on ADVRider
is currently working on the western portion as we speak (type?). I
went as far as 155 miles on the stock tank without running out, doing
45-60mph on the nice smooth dirt roads of Colorado and New Mexico most
of the way and generally taking it easy on corners. Carry an extra
half gallon or gallon and you should be set for range, depending on how
you ride. Your results may vary of course.

I wouldn't do the trip on a brandy new bike though. It gets much much better as she breaks in, from the seat to the motor to your ability to be comfortable on her in various conditions. Buy one over there and ship it here with you. It'll cost a little more, but I was extremely happy to be on a bike I was familiar with.

Last edited by skierd on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chrisjk

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 2:31 am

This is really helpful stuff. Thanks evilted for pointing me to skierd's story and skierd for writing it. It's an interesting point about not using a new bike for the trip. I'll need to think some more about that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of WR2 for the TAT   Thinking of WR2 for the TAT Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking of WR2 for the TAT
Page 1 of 1