Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Empty
PostSubject: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 12:36 pm

So I've taken to repacking my Q4 today.

Roughly 8000 miles on stock packing.

Guess what I found as I got started....

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3543

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3544

WTF?????

Looks like the mating spacer for the stock header has deformed from the heat and fused the muffler section to the header pipe.

Anybody with an FmF pipe and stock header might want to check theirs. How does THAT happen?

Any way - can't get the muffler section separated from header so I'm attempting repack while exhaust stays on bike. baldy baldy eeek

Here's the progress so far.

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3545

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3546

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3547

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3548

Easy part done......removing old stuff.

Difficult part set to begin. Putting new stuff on and reassembly while exhaust system stays on bike. Suspect

I'll let you know how that goes......

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 12:53 pm

That sucks Moto.

Remember, do not try to force that shell on. The inner section must clear the flange in the end cap to go the last few cm's.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 3:51 pm

What??? This isn't going to be fun. Where's the nice smooth outer layer of stuff to make this more "pillow like?
repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3549

Looks like a killed and skewered a small fuzzy pupy
repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3550

Start wrapping and wrapping and squeezing tighter and wrapping....

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3551

So it was way to hard to control the spaghetti strings, and slide the canister cover on, and take a picture.

The hardest part of the reassembly on the bike is getting the two bolts in that are under the fender.
Getting the holes lined up so the bolts can screw in was a bitch.

At any rate.....here she is, all buttoned up.

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3552

Not sure what I'm going to do in the future about that coupling piece between header and muffler.

At this time I can ride again, and that's most important.

I might order a new coupling piece, and then perhaps borrow a dremmel tool and cut the old one off.....very delicately.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm

motokid wrote:
What??? This isn't going to be fun. Where's the nice smooth outer layer of stuff to make this more "pillow like?

On the pillow packing. poser2 poser2
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 4:27 pm

So I bought this:

"FMF 4-stroke Performance Packing" (Product # 011393)

Per HighFive's repacking instructions.

Is there more than one P/N: 011393

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3553

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 5:10 pm

motokid wrote:

Is there more than one P/N: 011393

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3553

Dunno. Did it say "pillow" on the package? It's a particular design.

There's "pillow", "pressed" and apparently "spaghetti string". poser2 The pressed looks like felt.

Click >>

Pillow
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 9:55 pm

If you use masking tape to hold it all together, it's a little easier to manage.
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 1:49 am

I still have to re-pack mine, might do that in the next couple of days if it's nice out. We had a bunch of snow come down friday. Haven't had a long winter like this in the last 25 years..

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:37 am

mucker wrote:
If you use masking tape to hold it all together, it's a little easier to manage.

Yep...the actual packing instructions on the FmF bag say to use masking tape as well.

The idea of using something that's easily flammable on the very outer edges seemed like a last resort.

Plus, I would have been tempted to mummify the entire "silly string" mass of baffling material.

I decided to give it a shot with no masking tape to see if I could get it.

And I did. wink

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:49 am

By the way - the material "missing" in this picture was not completely burnt away.

repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Dscn3554

I should have taken a picture of what was at the other ends of those strings hanging down.

Almost all of the baffling material was still present , just a section of it was charred black and starting to disintegrate.

The end of the factory material that was in the end-cap with the spark arrestor was in perfect shape.
It was only that one section about 2/3rds of the way up the pipe that was actually a mess.

I'm guessing that's about 8000 miles worth of riding.

A caveat though is I do lots and lots of shorter rides. My commutes to work and second work are no more than 10-15 miles each way.

So many rides are not subjecting the pipe to intense heat for very long at all.

The occasional, but not regular, hour or more rides for the sheer fun of it are there, but not the bulk of my riding.

I'd assume that might help the longevity of my packing over some others who might ride for longer periods of time on a regular basis. :hmmm:

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
leed

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:13 pm

I had a very similar experience pulling the PO's FMF off my WR. We ended up slitting it and then cutting the spacer. I really am not a fan of the whole thing, so I won't be buying an FMF for the WR anytime soon, despite how nice they sound! I have a full FMF exhaust on my SV650, and they're all slip fits, no crazy nonsense like that spacer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?   repack - FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer? Empty

Back to top Go down

FmF Q4 Exhaust Repack - Melted Coupling Spacer?
Page 1 of 1