Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY

Go down 
+5
GusinCA
edteamslr
WRRSam
Jäger
PonchoV
9 posters
AuthorMessage
PonchoV

Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY Empty
PostSubject: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 am

This forum is not pix posting friendly, so I borrowed from my other membership.
www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10605006#post10605006

Last edited by PonchoV on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:56 am

PonchoV wrote:
ww.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10605006#post10605006

Say what? It even has a link to image hosting services so you don't have to go the smugmug or whatever route.

Check those icons out again!
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 4:02 am

PonchoV wrote:
ww.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10605006#post10605006

You mean www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10605006#post10605006
It's www not ww.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: hmm   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am

I just spent a day trying to copy this with a MIG welder. I will post the pic if anyone wants to try but be warned the section upstream of the exup is thin walled 1mm (I think) whereas the pipe thickness downstream is 1.5mm. This subtle difference is why I am now off looking for a TIG person to repair where I blew through the metal. Even so, I'm glad I tried it - I lined up the new replacement section perfectly with a jig and it will probably make the Pro's job easier when they get hold of it later this week.

Could have saved me a couple of bucks but I had fun trying.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Be careful messing around with the exhaust too much, at least in California and Arizona they are starting emmisions testing on bikes...
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: road legal   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 6:13 am

Point taken though here in the uk that's not an issue. Noise and having a British Standard kitemark on the exhaust is all they care about.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 am

GusinCA wrote:
Be careful messing around with the exhaust too much, at least in California and Arizona they are starting emmisions testing on bikes...

I'm in California, and I have not heard this. They have been trying to start this for the last 10 years, but I don't think there is a program or requirement in place. The only recent item for MC's was the law restricting use of aftermarket pipes on newer bikes for 2013.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 am

I haven't seen it either, but I've been told it's coming in 2011 from several different sources.

My only advice was cautionary, as it would be a shame to do the work and spend the money only to find out later that it was all for naught...
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:46 am

GusinCA wrote:

AZ is the only state (i think it is only in/around Phoenix) that emission tests motorcycles. They are trying VERY hard to do away with that. Sounds like it will be appealed this year?
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 3:51 pm

I did hear people say it ws only around Phoenix, but here in California it will be statewide through the DMV, kind of like cars every 2 years.

Who knows, maybe it won't go forward? We'll see...

Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Why remove the EXUP on stock exhaust?
Any dyno results?
I wouldn't be surprised if it gives you a big glitch at mid RPM
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: cut-out   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:40 am

The aim is the usually one. To increase power but in this case within the context of keeping the standard exhaust.
The exup is a sound emissions trick (I'm not going to argue) and in my quest of more power for little or no more noice, as well as some other mods, I'm happy to explore this change.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 12:14 pm

i would think the emissions test would be fairly easy to meet, even with a pipe. If you have a programmer, just lean it down a lot to make sure everything is getting burned. without a programmer, it should already be pretty lean. As long as the bike is tuned well, should be no problem with just emissions..

Of course, Ca may require the black box or some kind of cat.. don't know.

It still seems to me a well tuned but opened up motor can be tweaked to run very efficiently & meet the emissions.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: update   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm really talking about noise emissions here.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 7:50 pm

edteamslr wrote:
I'm really talking about noise emissions here.

Yes we know. As far as I know PonchoV (whom started this thread) is not from the uk.

*I do understand, if i was into more then stock i myself would pursue this option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY   Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping stock muffler & eliminating EXUP, TOTALLY
Page 1 of 1