Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Copper Canyon Mexico

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
grw800

grw800

Copper Canyon Mexico Empty
PostSubject: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 pm

Just got back from a 12 day, 1400 mile trip to the Copper Canyon region in the state of Chihuahua, Mexico. Not the blogger type, and I'm not going to write a book about it, but just want to post up some info & pics and get some discussion going.
First off, I'm sure everyone has heard the horror stories about Mexico and how you will be killed instantly upon stepping foot across the border. All I can say is BS. I've never encountered more friendly and helpful people. We were greeted with smiles and waves everywhere we went. I never once felt afraid, unsafe, or insecure. And I feel more concerned about theft of bike and gear here in the US than I ever did there.
The roads and scenery can hardly be described in words. We rode for hours on mile after mile of perfect sweeper paved roads, and were challenged on dirt roads that also happened to be surrounded by the most spectacular and beautiful terrain I've ever seen.
As I said, I'm not going to write reams about the trip, but will watch this thread and answer any questions. I hope to spread the word about what a fabulous opportunity for adventure we have in our neighbor country.

PS: I had the smallest bike of the five on the trip. You all know what I'm going to say next: I can't imagine doing this trip on any other bike; I think I had the perfect tool for the job. Next time I do a trip like this, I won't hestitate to take the same bike.

Copper Canyon Mexico 04810

Copper Canyon Mexico 12510

Copper Canyon Mexico 20310

Copper Canyon Mexico 23410
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 12:36 am

The bike: 2011 WR250R, bone stock except for the following mods & accessories:

Barkbusters VPS handguards.
Skid plate, can't remember the brand right now; I'm sure someone will remind me.
Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags/ Wolf Side Racks/ Wolf Bottle Holsters (2)/ Wolfman Side Plate for RotoPax mount.
AMS Big Rack.
VW Sandman sprocket cover/case saver.
13/47 sprockets, RK XW-ring chain
Shinko 244s
Agri Supply tool tube

All pics show the bike fully packed. I carried a 1 gal. RotoPax on the Wolfman Side Plate, and a Camelbak Lobo strapped to the rear rack.
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:14 am

On my bucket list, thanks for the good info. Did you go through a tour company? Camp out or have accommodations through the tour company. Where did you start? Cost?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyThu May 02, 2013 11:53 pm

The locals there are famous for running insane distances. They run slow but they run forever.

There's a book called "Born to Run" ... they are discussed in about 1/3 of the book.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptySat May 11, 2013 8:56 pm

miniceptor86 wrote:
On my bucket list, thanks for the good info. Did you go through a tour company? Camp out or have accommodations through the tour company. Where did you start? Cost?

Sorry for the late reply; I've been away from the computer for two weeks.
I did the trip through Lance Carnes of ADV Cartel. We stayed in hotels, sometimes reserved but usually just found a place when we got into town. We entered and exited Mexico through Ojinaga, Chihuahua across from Presidio, Texas. The entire trip including guide fee, insurance, hotels, meals, drinks, and gas cost me around $1600.
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptySun May 12, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyMon May 13, 2013 4:06 pm

More pics.

The road down to Batopilas. It's still unpaved, but they're working on it. Go now before it's gone forever!
Copper Canyon Mexico 11210

Deluxe parking. Most hotels have an enclosed courtyard or gated parking area. I was able to leave my soft bags & tools on the bike at night with no worries.
Copper Canyon Mexico 15410

100+ bicycles were donated by the state of Chihuahua and TelMex and given to the children of Batopilas for El Día de Los Niños. You don't see that on the news!
Copper Canyon Mexico 25310
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks for the photos, just more reasons to schedule this trip!
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Great ride. Have done it twice, once on a F650 and once on the WR250X. The WR was by far the better bike for this. We did a report at

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872365&highlight=barrancas+cobre&page=2

There were 2 WR250's on the ride and some 650's. Fun to see photos of the same hotels, etc......
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 7:26 pm

chabon,
I finally got around to reading all of that thread, thanks for the link. Interesting to read about and see pics of many of the same places we rode/stayed/ate.
805gregg's photos don't show up--can they be viewed anyplace else?
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 pm

grw800 wrote:
chabon,
I finally got around to reading all of that thread, thanks for the link. Interesting to read about and see pics of many of the same places we rode/stayed/ate.
805gregg's photos don't show up--can they be viewed anyplace else?

Don't know what happened to 805gregg's photos. He went off the grid. Pretty much repeats of the other photos. Might be going back this fall or next spring, can't get enough of Mexico.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 pm

I just got home from another Mexico trip during which I went to many of the same places, but driving my Scout this time. The whole trip I was thinking about how effortless it had been to ride the same roads on the WR. My 1967 Scout is just about as labor intensive to drive as it gets (manual steering, no power brakes, wide ratio trans, and automatic locker).  Of course it was in its element in the dirt, but it beat us up the whole time. And it sure was a handful on the curvy mountain roads! It just made me appreciate the WR even more.
The main reason for this post:  I wanted to show this pic of a gasolinera we went to today. I didn't see this on my April bike trip, but it turns out we passed within a few miles of it. A solar panel, 12V battery, 12V pump, and a tank, and you're in business. Check out the deluxe bathroom!

Copper Canyon Mexico 18510
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico   Copper Canyon Mexico Empty

Back to top Go down

Copper Canyon Mexico
Page 1 of 1