Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Yet another airbox flapper question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
66T

66T

Yet another airbox flapper question Empty
PostSubject: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I know the airbox flapper thing has been done to death, but just what the hell is it supposed to do? Seems a weird piece of gadgetry to me.

My 2010 Tenere hasn't got one, so it's odd that Yamaha feel the R/X need such an oddity.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Some say to increase torque at times...some say emissions.
Since it comes so lean from the factory...probably a little of both.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:55 pm

I believe some say it's for noise reduction at WFO....

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Also i don't believe that the 02 sensor equipped "Euro" bike's actually get the full possible advantage of any perceived "extra" air flow, at least in regards to going for the full "ultimate air box mod". My experience in regards to the flapper on these Euro spec bikes is that just a simple ball bearing in the vacume line to dis-able the flapper to the "open" position is a good enough initial improvement. ( Also i'm going to eventually look at one of the aftermarket Hi-flow air filters to give further possible improvements ).

I have run with the airbox door removed, and apart from the excessive induction noise, i felt no real benifits in terms of "seat of the pants" performance gains....although in saying this i do eventually plan on getting my bike onto a dyno with exhaust "sniffer" to run further comparisen tests. ( Will happen when i get FMF Fuel Programmer & Mega bomb header ).

Aside from the GYTR rear muffler, i'd say that one of the best single improvements to the bike is to fit the G2 Quick Turn Throttle Tube.
Aside from feeling much more responsive, i also found that it helps to reduce the low speed "jerkyness" at lower throttle openings. It does seem to reduce the fuel ecconomy though as it's easier to wind on alot more WOT etc.

Cheers guys.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 pm

66T wrote:
.....My 2010 Tenere hasn't got one, so it's odd that Yamaha feel the R/X need such an oddity......

****************************************************************************************************

Excuse my lack of knowledge here mate, but is the Tenere EFI ?

As mentioned by others here, i'd also agree that the "flapper" would be most likely be designed on these EFI bikes as part of emission & noise reduction EPA requirements....

Proberly does SFA in the real world to actually meaningfully reducing any such requiremnets, but it would give someone a "job" and make some "hippie more happy" ! lol...... Anyway, i love dolphins too - but i can't eat a full one, get the f out

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:05 am

IMO the flapper is only there to make the bike quieter for a drive by noise test.
Yamaha did everything they could to make the bike super quiet at part throttle to pass some sound test, both the intake flapper and the baffle in the exhaust close so the bikes really quiet at the rpms the sound test are taken at then open back up for full throttle/high rpms for max power.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 1:06 am

GT-250 wrote:
66T wrote:
.....My 2010 Tenere hasn't got one, so it's odd that Yamaha feel the R/X need such an oddity......

****************************************************************************************************

Excuse my lack of knowledge here mate, but is the Tenere EFI ?

As mentioned by others here, i'd also agree that the "flapper" would be most likely be designed on these EFI bikes as part of emission & noise reduction EPA requirements....

Proberly does SFA in the real world to actually meaningfully reducing any such requiremnets, but it would give someone a "job" and make some "hippie more happy" ! lol...... Anyway, i love dolphins too - but i can't eat a full one, get the f out

Cheers.

Ha ha mate, you're probably right!

Yes, Tenere is EFI, complete with O2 sensor, air pump and all the other sensors too. Except it has a conventional intake snorkel, ideally placed to suck in as much engine-heated air as possible.

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll give the ball bearing idea a run in the short term (but will probably use a small bolt instead).
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 2:13 am

No worries mate. The reason i prefer the small ball bearing is that it can be pushed into the vacume hose & then the hose can be re-connected so all remains in place and looks stock & neat. ( Not that it can be seen under the seat anyway ).

The B/B is tight inside the hose & there is nowhere bad that it can go if it's fitted in the line that goes directly onto the flapper diaphram. All very simple to return to stock as well if needed in future.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:11 pm

I see your point. Your idea is definitely a step up from the 'bolt it and bugger it' solution I came up with...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another airbox flapper question   Yet another airbox flapper question Empty

Back to top Go down

Yet another airbox flapper question
Page 1 of 1