Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

new guy wants to know how many miles to expect

Go down 
+3
mucker
motokid
twinshadow
7 posters
AuthorMessage
twinshadow

new guy wants to know how many miles to expect Empty
PostSubject: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptyFri May 17, 2013 9:12 pm

a new fella that is mostly gonna be doing a 7K per year commute and some small time trail fun wants to know how many miles I should get outta my 2013 when I pick it up un a week? Converting over from a cruiser, i have some questions that you guys might roll your eyes at, but I'd love to know if I am just being paranoid that the engine will not last as long as a cruiser?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptyFri May 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Couple of guys got over 50,000 miles on theirs....

Many with over 10,000.....

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
twinshadow

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 7:15 am

I am a little shocked and concerned.... I plan on throwing at least 6k a year and to think it will only last about 3 years? What if I am meticulous about changing fluids and etc?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 7:54 am

Shocked and concerned????????? Why?

It's a 250cc single cylinder dual-sport bike. Not a touring bike.

At 6000 miles a year you can go for at least over 8 years to get to 50,000 miles.

All the bikes I mentioned didn't die at those mileages....that's just where they are at this time.

Be a good owner, change the fluids, perform routine maintenance, have some good luck, and there's no reason why bike won't last for a very very long time.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:38 am

Heck, the first valve check is scheduled at 46000 kms I think.

I would be interrested to hear what other 250 cc motorcycle is more reliable...regardless of its performance.

And our bike is built for the highway...who could offer more?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:50 am

This bike is basicly a street bike motor in a dirt bikes frame.

It will last just as long as most street bikes if looked after and not abused too much, dont worry about the motor lol.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:13 am

mucker wrote:

And our bike is built for the highway...

Really? You think so? I'd never say that.

First of all, a wr250r does not have street tires on it.
(and even an X model I wouldn't say is "built for the highway")

A 1.5 gallon tank (with .5 gallon reserve) is not a highway tank.

25 horsepower ain't for super-slabbing.

The seat is a hemorrhoid just waiting to happen.

No wind screen.

In my opinion our bikes are true dual sport bikes. Multi-purpose. They do multiple things well, but none perfectly.

Trails, street, off-road, twisties, commute, sport riding, and even some racing both on track and in the dirt.

But highway..... that's probably the last thing on the list I'd say our bikes are "built for".

Just my (some would say) less than humble opinion.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:13 am

mucker wrote:

I would be interrested to hear what other 250 cc motorcycle is more reliable...regardless of its performance.

This I agree with 100%

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:23 am

motokid wrote:
mucker wrote:

No wind screen.

In my opinion our bikes are true dual sport bikes. Multi-purpose. They do multiple things well, but none perfectly.

Trails, street, off-road, twisties, commute, sport riding, and even some racing both on track and in the dirt.

But highway..... that's probably the last thing on the list I'd say our bikes are "built for".

I'm not saying its the perfect bike for highway riding.

I am saying it was designed to be able to spend its entire life on the tarmac, including highway...with reliable results and reasonable maintenance schedules comparable to strictly road/highway vehicles.

Considering, it is usually recognized as a dirt bike first, that is amazing, and why I bought one with zero regret so far. :)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:37 am

Okay - yep.... I get where you're coming from.

I like that riders on 250r/x's have:

1) stunted
2) road raced
3) moto-crossed
4) single tracked
5) ridden them across country
6) commuted
7) hooliganed
8) supermoto'd
9) ADV'd them
10) gone camping on them

And they've survived it all while causing great enjoyment and fun for all.....

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:14 am

motokid wrote:
mucker wrote:

No wind screen.

He should have worded it better... the motor is built to be revved hard for long periods of time on the highway without wearing out quickly like a offroad only bike would.

You guys do know the top end is pretty much straight off the R1 right?

Its a 1/4 of a R1 motor and those bikes last a long long time, its not a detuned offroad road race bike like other manufactures sell as dual sports.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:01 am

from everything that I have read about these bikes,,,the motor is bulletproof,,,i have 24,000 miles on my 08 wrr,,I have put on over 400 miles in a day no problem...I fully expect to get 100k from this bike......good luck,,,jason
Back to top Go down
Wieb27

Wieb27

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 7:35 am

[/quote]

He should have worded it better... the motor is built to be revved hard for long periods of time on the highway without wearing out quickly like a offroad only bike would.

You guys do know the top end is pretty much straight off the R1 right?

Its a 1/4 of a R1 motor and those bikes last a long long time, its not a detuned offroad road race bike like other manufactures sell as dual sports. [/quote]

I traded in a 2004 R1 with over 54,000 miles. I put 49,000 of them on it myself. Never touched the motor once for anything.
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 5:13 am

motokid wrote:
mucker wrote:

No wind screen.

I do 100km's a day on a highway and its a better bike in EVERY way over the DR650 it replaced......especially the seat....ok maybe the extra weight of the DR was better(read no good still) in highspeed cross winds

mine is currently on 33000km's i change the oil and filter every 4500km(its what i always did on the 650cc bikes ive had) and the air filter is about a monthly thing depending on Dust

tyres fronts(AC10) last me about 13000-15000km rears(D606) about 6000kms chain and sprockets(this depends alot on riding type i use mine as a ADV/dirtbike) the standard lasted to 18000km the Primary drive stuff on there now has 12000km odd on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new guy wants to know how many miles to expect   new guy wants to know how many miles to expect Empty

Back to top Go down

new guy wants to know how many miles to expect
Page 1 of 1