Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

What is this, what does it do, and is it important?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Potentate

PostSubject: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   Wed May 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Below is a link to the air box parts, part number 21, the box thingie attached to the boot that connects the air box to the throttle body, affectionately known to Yamaha as "Chamber, Air". What is it, what does it do, and is it important? It looks like a reservoir of some sort, but I can't figure out why it's there. I got sand in mine so I was going to replace it, but can I just axe it and plug the hole?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2011/WR250R%20-%20WR25RACL/INTAKE/parts.html
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   Wed May 22, 2013 1:18 pm

So you're saying SAND got past your air filter ??? eeek eeek eeek

So if that chamber you don't want to replace (you can't clean it out ?) wasn't there - where would that sand have gone?

If you're engine isn't phucked - I'd assume it's all thanks to that chamber - I'd be real tempted to replace it.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   Wed May 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Don't have one on my'08. Do you have a California model? For the vapor recovery canister?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   Wed May 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Yamaha dirt bikes have used those in the past.
For example, the 1982-1983 IT-175J/K as well as the 1984-1986 IT-200L/N/S had similar ones.

It's a sort of resonance chamber that improves airflow (over certain RPM, I imagine).
If you're old enough, you remember resonance chambers, called Boost Bottles, sold as aftermarket accessories in the early 1980s for motocross bikes.
These were attached to the inlet manifold on the other side of the carburetor, but served the same purpose.
Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 am

motokid wrote:
So you're saying SAND got past your air filter ??? eeek eeek eeek

So if that chamber you don't want to replace (you can't clean it out ?) wasn't there - where would that sand have gone?

If you're engine isn't phucked - I'd assume it's all thanks to that chamber - I'd be real tempted to replace it.

Oh yes, sand got past the airfilter, weird canister thing, boot, throttle body, intake valve, exhaust valve, baldy I'm in about 2k total for head work w/ 4 new valves, big bore kit, full fmf exhaust and labor. http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9043-engine-s-toast Before I get it back together I just want to make completely sure that I have no residual sand hiding somewhere, and that looks like a likely spot.

miniceptor86 wrote:
Don't have one on my'08. Do you have a California model? For the vapor recovery canister?

It is a California model, all my other emissions junk is going away with the new exhaust cheers so I wonder if I can just get rid of it and plug the hole? I'm going to look into this more, I would assume if it's a CA specific piece, and it's not integral to any other system then I can just chuck it. It's not connected to anything other than the intake boot, that's what's got me so confused as to it's purpose.

So do all non CA model bikes not have that piece?
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   Thu May 23, 2013 5:24 am

The pictures of that "chamber" show up in most of the micro-fiche pages I tend to check out.

There's nothing in the descriptions that says it's a "California Only" part.

I'll try to dig into mine a little over the holiday weekend to see if I have one or not.

If it's some kind of resonance chamber, or "pressure equalization chamber" I'd think it might be sort of important to have.

It's not something you can just flush out with lots of water and compressed air?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   Thu May 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Not well enough to be worth the risk. The sand is soooo fine. I completely removed the air box and cleaned it as thoroughly as I could, reasembled and tried cranking it again (before i knew the extent of the damage). When i broke ot down again there was still some super fine sand in the intake boot, only place I could think it could have come from was that box. I can't open it, and its only like a $20 piece, I was just curious if its needed at all.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

PostSubject: Re: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 pm

I would say no. I see you're in CA so I presume it's a CA model. The rest of us do not have that thing. You could remove it and cap that hole, no problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this, what does it do, and is it important?   

Back to top Go down

What is this, what does it do, and is it important?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1