Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

WR250X First Gear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
USMC.Miller

PostSubject: WR250X First Gear   Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:29 am

Took my bike to work today and when i revved out first gear, twice felt like I rode over a lump once it was in high RPM . Hard to explain but i felt it. Didn't feel it on any other gear and it was only when spinning it up real quick in first. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:42 am

First gear is so short and torquey (what gearing you running).... you sure it wasn't rev limiter?

Or perhaps even the rear tire losing traction with pavement for a second? 
Sand on the road maybe? 
Paint stripe on road? 
Something of that nature? 

dunno

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
USMC.Miller

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:49 am

I'm running stock gearing.

Could been a wet spot, it rained last night. But it didnt feel like a loss in.power.or locking up for sure. It felt like going over a bump but it felt like one from the back tire.

Might.have been rev limiter. If so thats the first time.ive.felt.it.
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:00 pm

If you're just Wide Fucking Open throttle ripping, like trying stretch the throttle cables to get more speed faster kind of accelerating, and you hit the rev limiter it can be a frightening feeling if you don't know what's happened. 

It'll feel like the motor has had a catastrophic failure of some sort, and you'll almost be pitched forward like you've hit something. 

Since you've referred to a "bump" feel, but only in the rear wheel I'd guess the tire lost traction then quickly got it's bite back in an instant. 

Again, if you're ripping through the rev's, in first gear especially, the rear tire breaking loose wouldn't be a surprise to me. Especially if the roads are wet and or sandy (I see you live in Florida - sandy roads must be everywhere).

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
USMC.Miller

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:21 pm

That's a great possibility. I'll report how it does on my way home in a few hours.
Back to top Go down
I<3Mountains

PostSubject: i get this sometimes   Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:42 pm

i feel its from the chain or a cold engine. first gear will buck me. it will stumble at a light and then want to take off! i usually ease it with using more clutch through the start. i also think my chain has a tight link.

Back to top Go down
RoadRash

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:25 am

I think I might have a similar problem. I can feel it through the first 4 gears though. I notice it higher in the rpm's when I'm fairly hard on the throttle. It sort of feels like the rear wheel is breaking traction for a split second then hooking up again. I feel it mostly in the first two gears, a little in third, and hardly at all in fourth. I do ride the bike hard and really rev it out.

Since my bike is totally stock I know it can't be the rear tire spinning on dry clean pavement so I initially thought it was my clutch going from practicing wheelies but since the clutch feels fine otherwise I don't think this is it. My second feeling was that maybe it was the throttle limiter kicking in but I thought it was strange that I had never noticed it before despite riding the same way for many miles. This is still my best guess but I also noticed today my chain was a bit loose. I tightened it up and will have to see tomorrow if it has any impact.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:53 am

chain too loose? skipping a tooth maybe
Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:42 am

f3joel wrote:
chain too loose? skipping a tooth maybe

My guess as well. Had this problem when I first bought mine.
Back to top Go down
RoadRash

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Just an update, looks like it was a loose chain for me. Tightened mine up and problem seems to have been solved. Manual calls for a range of 40-50mm.
Back to top Go down
alansz400

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 am

RoadRash wrote:
Just an update, looks like it was a loose chain for me. Tightened mine up and problem seems to have been solved. Manual calls for a range of 40-50mm.

Take a look at your front sprocket here is what mine looked like and the rear still looked good. I think this was about 10k miles.

Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 pm

This was mine a 8000 miles. Felt a little "bump" now and again before I noticed. I run a sandman guard now to keep track of wear without taking things apart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250X First Gear   

Back to top Go down

WR250X First Gear
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1