Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Simple Green on your WR?

Go down 
+7
tblumer
rydnseek
The Yeti
SheWolf
inspector
asheville thumper
mnormand
11 posters
AuthorMessage
mnormand

Simple Green on your WR? Empty
PostSubject: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:33 pm

I've recently read on adv about the negatives of using Simple Green on aluminum. I've been using it on both my current bikes and a few prior, but only for about 2-3 months so far. My current method is when I arrive home after a ride, park the bike in the shade, let everything cool down for an hour or more. Then I spray mostly the entire bike both sides, and rinse off within 1-2 minutes. Then blowdry it off with a leaf blower. Now I'm not talking about deep heavy caked on mud, just usual road grime and dust.

Every time the bikes come out looking showroom clean. thumb Especially the newer WR. Can't see any aluminum probs anywhere. I love this method, its fast with excellent results.

Anybody have any real negatives with Simple Green as used above?

Thx
Mark
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 2:13 pm

I read a lot about this recently as well and did a little bit of research on the Simple Green website as well as some other places. Check this out: http://www.simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php

States that it is safe for aluminum and other metals. I'm going to find some of this stuff and try it out.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 2:24 pm

As soon as I can find some, I'll be buying some.

*A bunch of years ago (more then 10years) I tried Simple green on my car engine. All the rubber hoses turned whitish with what looked like oxidation. That has been the only reason why I haven't tried it on my bike.
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 3:17 pm

inspector wrote:

*A bunch of years ago (more then 10years) I tried Simple green on my car engine. All the rubber hoses turned whitish with what looked like oxidation. That has been the only reason why I haven't tried it on my bike.

If you find some, let me know where you got it. Seen it available on line, but I've yet to find it in the stores.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 4:59 pm

I've got Simple Green Max and use it when things get real gross. It cuts through the goop and chain gunk, and I haven't had any trouble with cracking rubber, discoloration or muffed aluminum. thumb

The Yeti

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 5:15 pm

asheville thumper wrote:
inspector wrote:

If you find some, let me know where you got it. Seen it available on line, but I've yet to find it in the stores.

I get it in a gallon jug at Sam's Club, I've seen it at Wal-Mart as well.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 9:45 am

None of these threads are that old.. but for this relatively new forum, some of these are!

Anyway, i've been using simple green, too, for a while. You can also get it at home depot, & probably any large dept. store. I also just spray it on, use a brush sometimes, then wash it off.

If some of those anal paranoids over at advrider think it's bad, then it must be ok.

scotty Simple Green on your WR? 810411
Back to top Go down
tblumer

tblumer

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Simple Green can mess up some painted surfaces, I used it on my cargo trailer and it left streaks in the paint.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm surprised you can't find Simple Green in the stores. Here in Ohio it's everywhere. Just about any store that has an automotive or home cleaning supplies.
asheville thumper wrote:
inspector wrote:

Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:50 pm

The stuff is usually in concentrated form & needs to be diluted per the instructions depending on what kind of grime you are cleaning. Disregard this post if you did dilute it properly.
inspector wrote:

Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:24 pm

I've used Simple Green in it's various forms for years. There are only two tricks.......

1) never let it dry on any surface.

2) surface must be cool to the touch before using.

That's it. All the bikes in my garage are naked bikes and have motors that look like new. The other trick is after washing the motor with Simple Green and rinsing with water is to start the bike for a minute or two to get just a bit of heat into it and then lightly spray the motor with a bit of Armor All and wipe off the excess. Nice shiny black motors that are easier to clean next time as well.
Back to top Go down
wilburj

wilburj

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Simple green max is the stuff spray it on and hose off the dirt. I think it works better than most expensive bike specific cleaners. I get it at walmart in the cleaning product aisle. wilburj
Back to top Go down
liquidlogic4life

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I managed a service department at a Bicycle shop and I used simple green exclusively, lots of bare aluminum and rubber of all sorts. Never had any ill effects and it worked better than all the expensive cleaner products, not to mention you get to dilute it 3/1 of more and it works just as good. Cheap and good... can't beat that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simple Green on your WR?   Simple Green on your WR? Empty

Back to top Go down

Simple Green on your WR?
Page 1 of 1