Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
worstell

WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack Empty
PostSubject: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 12:24 am

Hey All- First post here. I have an XR250R and I am thinking of replacing it with a 2012 WR250R. How will the WR compare on tight steep singletrack? I live in Colorado and ride at 7,000 to 11,000 feet, so getting the jetting right on the XR carb is a pain in the ass. The XR loves tight singletrack, and will climb awesomely when the jetting is right for the conditions. But I am always futzing with the carb, and the bike tends to bog on steep climbs at around 10,000 feet. The WR has FI of course, but is around 40 lbs heavier than the XR. And I hear that the WR makes its power at higher rpms than the XR. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Funny you should ask, because I am the expert at this.

I ride single track near Lake Isabella in California, and it is some of the nastiest, rockiest, twistiest, steepest, snow covered, fallen tree covered, BEST single track in the world. I'm sure Colorado is decent too. :)

A stock WR250R is semi decent at single track. My WR250R is a single track monster.

The first thing I did was up the rear sprocket by 3 teeth. Then I put on street legal knobbies (Michelin AC10). I then put tire balls inside those knobbies because changing a tube in the snow on the side of a cliff is just not my thing.

I also have a larger tank, Corbin seat, barkbusters, full skidplate and a heated vest. I also lowered mine an inch front and rear so I could put both feet flat on the ground, which is also handy on the side of a snow covered cliff.

Yes, the XR250 is still a little lighter, but the WR is street legal. I have ridden the deepest mud AND around downtown San Francisco on the same day. And with it's never ending revving engine and six speed gearbox it will conquer anything I throw at it. Sometimes that means wound up to 9,000 rpm in first gear looking like some crazy idiot in a hillclimbing contest, but the bike never, ever quits. It must be the most reliable, fun, nimble barely street legal bike I've ever owned. I'm sure the KTM EX350 dual sport is better and lighter, but for 30% more it better be. And in now way is it nearly as reliable as the Yamaha, I've met 2 people now with that same bike who have had ride ending problems.

You'll love it. I promise.
Back to top Go down
WeAkSaUzE

WeAkSaUzE

PostSubject: Re: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 10:05 am

In my honest opinion in it's stock form the WR250's gearing is too high for tight woods/single track.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Throw some knobby tires and lower gearing on the wrr and they're pretty close, you wont have any issues taking the wrr anywheres you take the xr. thumb 

The xr does pull harder right off idle but the mid range is about the same and the wrr makes a bunch more hp up top, which is why you need to gear it alot lower than stock.
Back to top Go down
sanluissound

PostSubject: XR VS WR   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 am

worstell,

I live here in Colorado as well and regularly ride at higher elevations. I just got back from eight days in southern CO including the 28 mile round trip to Wheeler Monument (11,900 ft elevation). Though not single track it's pretty tough with numerous water crossings that involve a relatively steep climb down and back up. I was carrying all my camping gear, extra water and video/audio gear - way too much weight. The WR did very well, even with my oversized load I was getting air and screaming through turns. All that said I sometimes want more and feel there are some trade offs. I also own an older XR250 and have ridden many over the years. In no particular order, here are some thoughts -

- As noted here by others, gear down. I'm at 13/49 which is really low.

- Even with the fuel injection a power loss is noticed when climbing at 10k ft and higher, it's not terrible but can be felt. Still smoother than a mis jetted bike though.

- The XR's power to weight ratio is better as well as it's stock suspension, if you're a single track maniac the XR is going to manage itself better in most technical areas.

- The WR does like to be in a higher RPM range to get it's power to the ground, you just learn to keep the revs up. With that in mind, it's still a gutsy little four stroke - I hit a a handful of steeps last week (at very high elevation) in too high of a gear - rolling on the throttle the WR still pulled me up.

- I find myself fantasizing about a light, powerful 350 set up for my dual sporting needs. Something like a KTM, but up front cost and maintenance have so far kept me away. If you're trailering out to your riding destinations and hit seriously technical single track at higher elevations then the WR may not be right for you. If you need to ride to the trail head and like the ability to cruise a longer distance on fire/BLM type roads without worrying about your five hour oil change interval then the WR may be a great choice.

Good luck with your decision and bike hunt!

Joe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I have a WRR set up for dualsport, and used to ride a stock XR400. I think the XR400 has the same frame and similar suspension to the XR250. I've also ridden my buddy's XR250. The WRR is a better bike in every way except ... gnarly single track, especially compared with the XR250. Honda may have built the best handling trail/play bike, ever, when they designed the XR250.

The WRR just doesn't "turn in" as well as the Hondas. Instead, it tends to wash out the front end on loose trails. The WRR is also a little heavy especially when picking it up. Power wise, the WRR has "almost" enough low end torque. Geared down, with good tires, and some clutch slipping, it does pretty well. I haven't modified the engine since it is pretty noisey stock. My elevation range is 500 ft. to 6500 ft. so far.
Back to top Go down
worstell

PostSubject: Re: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:06 pm

All- Thank you .... I couldn't ask for better feedback if I paid for it! Right now, I am riding the XR250R on twisty, gnarly singletrack, and I have the KLR for adventure touring. Maybe I'll just stick with that combo for now. I'd love to demo a WR250R on some singletrack. Even if it gave up a little to the XR250R, I'd likely be sold.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Two Words:

Street Legal.

Here in CA at least that is worth gold, since a lot of the trails here need to be connected by sections of road...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:12 pm

worstell wrote:
All-  Thank you .... I couldn't ask for better feedback if I paid for it!   Right now, I am riding the XR250R on twisty, gnarly singletrack, and I have the KLR for adventure touring.   Maybe I'll just stick with that combo for now.  I'd love to demo a WR250R on some singletrack.  Even if it gave up a little to the XR250R, I'd likely be sold.  

My WRR replaced 2 bikes - a KTM 640ADV and a Gasgas EC300 2 stroke. I hardly ever miss the 640 but I miss the 300 every time I get on a trail.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack   WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250 compared to XR250 on tight steep singletrack
Page 1 of 1