Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Which PC version

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
Broo C em
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Broo C em

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi all, sorry if this is common knowledge or covered elsewhere (or not even the right place for the question. . .) but what is the difference between a PCIII & a PC V . . .. . & which should I buy for an '08 250R ? Thanks. bow
Back to top Go down

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 1:27 am

You would want a FMF Power Programmer...
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 6:51 am

Howdy. :)

The Power Commander V is the latest evolution of the Power Commander.
Go to the Dynojet website to read more about the differences, but from what I know, the V is physically smaller and has more features.

I ran a PC lll USB on my WR-250R for a while and it worked just fine and dandy...until it quit working.
When that happens, the bike won't start.
How inconvenient. :)
Lucky for me, when it bit the dust, I was parked out in front of the dealership I work for, so I just rolled the bike inside and removed the PC lll - it fired-up instantly.
I then returned the faulty unit to Dynojet, and they replaced it with a brandy-new unit.

While my PC lll was out getting replaced, I bought an FMF Power Programmer.
This unit is smaller and simpler, although it's intended to achieve the same thing you'd want a PC for: Richen your fueling to make some power and torque.
The FMF unit doesn't have as fine adjustment control over the rev range and throttle positions, but at the end of the day, it also works well.

Personally, I could use either one.
One thing that I didn't like about my PC lll was that the unit mounted under the headlight and the wiring into it was flexed every time you turned the handlebar, and I'd heard about the supposedly fragile wiring on those units in the past.
I still wonder if this contributed to my unit quitting.

I've read about a couple of guys on the ThumperTalk forums griping about stuttering and hesitation when whacking the throttle open with their WR-250R/Xs that have the PC V installed.
I don't know if this is a fluke or a real issue, so you might want to research that one. :)
Back to top Go down

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:10 am

...and the FMF unit is alot cheaper... freaky
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:11 am

Attitude Industries programmer is cheaper than FMF and it's basically the same unit. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 pm

running pcIII mounted as instructions suggest with no issues so far. probably 4000k miles of daily riding and weekend abuse.
Back to top Go down
Broo C em

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:45 pm

. . thanks guys, looks like there's no easy answers in THIS jungle!
There's ONE 'feature' I like on the V in that it appears to have a stronger braided/reinforced connection cable; the module size isnt an issue for me, 'on the fly' switchable maps I'ld find a distraction, I sure dont need a 'power shift' option. .. . . dunno about the auto-tune gizmo, seems like it might all be getting lost in 'the law of diminishing returns', marketing features, more things to go wrong but that ya dont REALLY need yada yada yada.

Regarding FMF Vs PC, guys often rate the PC because of its ability to reduce (not just increase) fuel flow, & the FMF can only increase .. . . . which leads me to a question I've not yet seen asked or answered ~ do PCIII users ever/often/never find that they use a map with a reduced flow in some zones to get an optimal 'tune'? dddog

Cheers from DownUnder
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:16 am

But will the PC V work on a 08 and will the PC III work on the 09? The FMF Power Programmer will work on both.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:34 pm

Broo C em wrote:
. . thanks guys, looks like there's no easy answers in THIS jungle!
There's ONE 'feature' I like on the V in that it appears to have a stronger braided/reinforced connection cable; the module size isnt an issue for me, 'on the fly' switchable maps I'ld find a distraction, I sure dont need a 'power shift' option. .. . . dunno about the auto-tune gizmo, seems like it might all be getting lost in 'the law of diminishing returns', marketing features, more things to go wrong but that ya dont REALLY need yada yada yada.

Regarding FMF Vs PC, guys often rate the PC because of its ability to reduce (not just increase) fuel flow, & the FMF can only increase .. . . . which leads me to a question I've not yet seen asked or answered ~ do PCIII users ever/often/never find that they use a map with a reduced flow in some zones to get an optimal 'tune'? dddog

Cheers from DownUnder

i haven't studied the map i'm running on the wrx right, but i've seen on some euro bikes where they do some leaning out.

abchel wrote:
But will the PC V work on a 08 and will the PC III work on the 09? The FMF Power Programmer will work on both.
dude..is the rhetorical or just trying to spark an argument? they both do the same thing in essence. modify the signal from the ecu to the injectors based on TPS information. unless yamaha is changing the ecu every year it would be stupid to throw a comment like that out there. just sayin. dddog
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 am

The map I am using is leaner through the lower midrange but not by much
The other good thing about the PC3 is there are a lot of map's to chose from
I never mounted mine under the headlight, i relocated the ECU and put the PC3 there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which PC version Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which PC version   Which PC version Empty

Back to top Go down

Which PC version
Page 1 of 1