Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Step Seat From Wheeling

Go down 
+3
skierd
edteamslr
motokid
7 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Step Seat From Wheeling Empty
PostSubject: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 6:37 am

Step Seat From Wheeling A7r%40qwyh0ngAABYdbsMAAAAL-68046

Anybody bought this?

Compared to the stock, concrete, ass-munching-for-lunch seat what's this thing like?
Can't be any worse...but how much better might it be?

The looks are great....but is it worth it?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:00 am

The last thing I want to do with my saddle is limit the where my arse can sit which is exactly what the step does. Maybe good for a pillion to stop them sliding forward into you or if your bike accelerates viciously and you want to stay on it.
For comfort I'd want more width at around same place that the 'step'.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 am

I'd hardly say that little "step" would be all that limiting, but that's why I'm asking for thoughts from anyone who's bought one.

It's possible, perhaps, the step is created by adding padding which may prove to be a god-send when compared to the stock seat.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:14 am

No, but what I meant to say is that one of the nice things about the WR250R (and my XT660R) is that the seat is quite level which means you can slide forwards and backwards to relieve the pressure points. You're right though, for general blasting around (incl the X) it's probably quite nice.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:19 am

There is nothing "nice" about the stock seat.

Unless you happen to be a proctologist. hide

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:25 am

That's not fair - I'm sure the designer loved it Shog

I'll report back on my new seat upholstering I'm having doing. Extra width and a gel pad too. SaxonSeats here in the UK. Report coming soon.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 2:20 pm

To those of you complaining about the stock seat: try riding more. It breaks in after a few thousand miles, and your ass does too. On my trip I pulled 300+ mile days (average) with 8-12 hours in the saddle for 3 weeks straight on the stock seat (with a sheepskin cover) without an issue.
Back to top Go down
tblumer

tblumer

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Agreed, my stock seat is comfy!
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 7:15 am

skierd wrote:
To those of you complaining about the stock seat: try riding more. It breaks in after a few thousand miles, and your ass does too. On my trip I pulled 300+ mile days (average) with 8-12 hours in the saddle for 3 weeks straight on the stock seat (with a sheepskin cover) without an issue.

I decided to give the seat 5000 miles, if it still was a pain in my ass I was going to get a Renazco. It does break in some, but never to the point of "comfort" for me. The most I could get out of it was 250-300 mile days. Comfort is very subjective I think, but to each their own...either way I have a Renzaco coming in December!!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:09 am

skierd wrote:

Yeah.....how old are you?

(serious question actually....not being sarcastic)

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 11:06 am

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Right....20 years from now you might have a different opinion of what's comfortable.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 4:29 pm

Ok, similarly, how many miles does yours have on it? The seat gets better as you sit on it.

True, thinking about it my limit w/o the sheepskin is about 250 miles. I'm so used to it having it, its a no brainer for me to throw on for a long trip.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Around 1500 miles....of which 1200 miles are mine. (I bought it used with 300 miles on it)

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm also interested in anyone who's ridden in this seat.. is it a bit lower toward the front? I'd like to get another seat to mod up, & don't really like to hack up the stocker, so this one might work. If it is better right out of the box, then no mods for me, either!

I don't think the stock seat is that bad.. try riding a husky or even the drz seat is much harder & narrower. I found the wr seat to be ... tolerable.. which means i'll need to fluff it up a bit for any long distance rides in it's future.. I like a seat that is low & narrow toward the tank, then widens & flattens toward the back. The low part is for any tougher riding sections, & the wide back is for cruising. I think width has more to do with long term comfort, as well as insulating from vibration.

scotty
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 11:16 pm

Give the seat another 1500 miles or so before giving up on it, mine really started to get a lot better around then, which was towards the end of my first road trip with it (1100 mile trip over 5 days, ~3500 on the bike).
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 1:54 am

skierd wrote:
To those of you complaining about the stock seat: try riding more. It breaks in after a few thousand miles, and your ass does too.
No it doesn't. 2500 miles and it feels about the same to me. In other words, great - until you've got about 200/250 miles on for the day. With hours to go. Then, I'd rather be sitting on a 2x4 wrapped with a burlap sack. I've ridden in 40 year old APC's which had more comfortable seats - and the seats are sheet aluminum. This seat gives the phrase "It's a real pain in the ass" meaning.

I think this is a well thought out seat for serious enduro riding. It isn't well thought out for long trips with your ass in the saddle. Therein lies the difference.

Quote :
On my trip I pulled 300+ mile days (average) with 8-12 hours in the saddle for 3 weeks straight on the stock seat (with a sheepskin cover) without an issue.
So in other words, you didn't pull those 300+ mile days with a stock saddle. When you put a sheepskin cover over that seat (very sensibly in my opinion) for those 300+ mile days, you aren't sitting on a stock saddle. You customized it.

When I get the money, I'll be getting a custom seat. If it also manages to get my toes an inch or two closer to the ground, then so much the better. I can always keep the stock seat for any gnarly rides when I want precisely that sort of seat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Step Seat From Wheeling   Step Seat From Wheeling Empty

Back to top Go down

Step Seat From Wheeling
Page 1 of 1