Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Taking the airbox cover off?!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sshabro

Taking the airbox cover off?! Empty
PostSubject: Taking the airbox cover off?!   Taking the airbox cover off?! EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 5:17 am

I live in the rainy state of WA and have the airbox door off...is this safe with driving in the rain? I'm guessing its ok because it's behind my side panel. Rainy season is coming so responses the sooner the better!!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Taking the airbox cover off?!   Taking the airbox cover off?! EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 5:28 am

After a rainy ride, take off your side panel and check for water in your airbox.

No matter what any of us tell you, it's best for you to check your own stuff.

For piece of mind, if I knew I was going to be riding in rain for more than 30 minutes, I'd want the door on.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
sshabro

PostSubject: Re: Taking the airbox cover off?!   Taking the airbox cover off?! EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Ok thanks. Do think that is going to mess up how the bike will run since I have a FMF EFI programmer dyno with the airbox door off?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Taking the airbox cover off?!   Taking the airbox cover off?! EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 am

sshabro wrote:
Ok thanks.  Do think that is going to mess up how the bike will run since I have a FMF EFI programmer dyno with the airbox door off?  
You won't hurt the bike if that's your question.

I'd guess you'd be running richer by some amount with door back on, which won't hurt anything other than some power loss. But you'll feel power loss from putting door back on any way.

What numbers are you running with the dyno tune, and what gearing and mods do you have on bike?

Write those numbers down, then perhaps you can futz with the programmer with the door back on and find something adequate. Then when you take the door off again, just go back to the numbers the dyno guys ended up with.

I've been caught in heavy rain with no airbox door on. Had to ride maybe about 20-25 minutes that way to get home.
Speeds varied from 35 to 50 mph along the way. I check airbox when I got home and it was about 98% dry.

Had I ridden for an hour or more would it still have stayed dry????? dunno I have no idea.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
sshabro

PostSubject: Re: Taking the airbox cover off?!   Taking the airbox cover off?! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 3:39 am

Great, I appreciate your help
Steve

The bike was Dyno'd with FMF Powercore 4, FMF EFI Controller, Airbox door off, and spark arrestor out. It gave me a 4HP increase and I liked it a lot, but even with ear plugs it was really hard on my ears. So I put the arrestor back in and it made a big difference (and popped less )...but of coarse a slight loss of power. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking the airbox cover off?!   Taking the airbox cover off?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Taking the airbox cover off?!
Page 1 of 1