Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Blew off my exhaust cap

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chuckP

Blew off my exhaust cap Empty
PostSubject: Blew off my exhaust cap   Blew off my exhaust cap EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 3:40 pm

All of the rivets let loose at the top of 2nd gear yesterday and my exhaust cap went flying off.  unfortunately it was run over by a car.  What are my options at this point?  Do you think Graves will warranty it?  It's at least 3 years old.

Blew off my exhaust cap 20130908_123244
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Blew off my exhaust cap   Blew off my exhaust cap EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 4:27 pm

How often did you repack the can?

Running with blown out/ no muffler packing causes the can to come apart like this.
I doubt they will waranty it because of this.

Buy a new end cap and drill new holes to atach it.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Blew off my exhaust cap   Blew off my exhaust cap EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 12:15 am

I didnt know that. It had about 10k on the stock packing.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Blew off my exhaust cap   Blew off my exhaust cap EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I learned this the hard way too.

The pipe on my old race quad had the end cap come loose a bunch of times but it never fell completly off.

I drilled new holes to rivet it back on and also jb welded it into place after it came loose a few times and it lasted for alot of years since and is still holding together without issue... most people dont know this but you never need to remove the end cap to repack the can. You only need to drill out the rivets in the front of the can where it hooks to the mid pipe and pull it apart there, I always see how to repack your muffler post with the end cap removed. scratch 

Geting water in the can causes brand new packing to burn right up too, this was my issue cheap packing was only lasting untill the first deep water crossing lol try to avoid getting water in the can.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Blew off my exhaust cap   Blew off my exhaust cap EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info Biglake!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blew off my exhaust cap   Blew off my exhaust cap Empty

Back to top Go down

Blew off my exhaust cap
Page 1 of 1