Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

The forgotten mod

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DragonNester

PostSubject: The forgotten mod   Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:48 am

Back in the day (mid to late 70's), it's what most folks did to the clutch lever of their enduro bikes.  Yep, I'm old.

If you clutch with one or two fingers and do this mod, you'll never have a full length clutch lever again.  That and changing the too tall gearing to a 13tX47t sprocket set are actually my favorite mods on my wrr.

Just bored and never have seen this shared before.
Back to top Go down
Wieb27

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 am

I can remember riding a few dirt bikes with levers like that as a kid only it was because I would crash and snap them off just like that.

Very happy 
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 am

Wieb27 wrote:
I can remember riding a few dirt bikes with levers like that as a kid only it was because I would crash and snap them off just like that.

Very happy 
 That's why they started putting break away indents on them..for kids of all ages.wink
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:19 pm

You should try leaving the clutch lever stock lenght and sliding the lever inboard.
It has the same effect as a shortty lever but is nice and easy to pull, you have to slide the light switch over a touch to do this on the wrr.wink 
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 pm

I like it my way better because it's not such a reach from the bar out as it would be if it were a relocated full length stock lever.  To put it another way, my two first fingers are in the exact same place on the lever as they would be if the lever was full length, but now the lever doesn't hit the backside of the other two fingers that stay on the bar (hopefully).  That's what I really like about doing this especially in the winter with heavy gloves on.  As far as the pull goes, it's super easy even using only one finger...maybe 'cause I was a pipefitter all my adult life.  Don't know, but I've never experienced a lighter clutch pull.

Last edited by DragonNester on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:02 am

Wieb27 wrote:

Very happy 
Me too! Thought about buying a shortie lever, some of them have a modified ratio to make the pull easier, but honestly this clutch is really easy to pull. Might think about taking the dremel to it.
Back to top Go down
bluzharp

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 am

I've hacked the levers on every dirt bike I've owned for the last 40 years.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:26 pm

A cut-off lever wouldn't pass a safety inspection here in Ontario, which is only req'd to transfer ownership.  I suspect this may be the same in some US states.  It wouldn't matter until one wants to sell the bike, but one would have to replace the lever to pass.

If I were to decide to try a short lever, I'd just buy a shorty lever, so the switch back to stock would be easy.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:37 pm

I never cared for that.

I do slide the clutch lever perch as far to the right as allowed to gain a bit of leverage, with side-benefits of it actually feeling more natural and positioning the tip of the lever inside the end of the grip for protection.
The icing on the cake is the "XT-550" clutch lever, which feels better than the stock lever and fits perfectly as long as you like a black clutch lever.
Back to top Go down
averian

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Mine looks similar. The previous owner didn't do it on purpose though, haha. I have some Zeta levers coming soon, but here is a pic after the previous owner added hand guards:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The forgotten mod   

Back to top Go down

The forgotten mod
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1