Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days

Go down 
+5
sophijo
IAmABug
BuilderBob
Chrispy1200
Rusty Shovel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days Empty
PostSubject: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Unbelievable you say?

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4758

Okay, Mexico Maine to Quebec City isn't quite so impressive, but 1045 miles in 2 days isn't bad.

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4810

While tearing down a dirt road south of Jackman that looked a lot like this...

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4762

...a bull moose charged out of the bushes on the right side of the road.  I was riding hard on the right, because I was nervous of the logging trucks that would occasionally barrel down the dirt roads.  The moose ran perpendicular to me, and I locked up front and rear brakes and began sliding sideways toward the animal.  I was going about 50 mph, so I couldn't scrub speed off fast enough.  Thankfully, the moose changed it's angle and began running diagonally across the road.  The moose was GIGANTIC, and I was sliding into it while it was running at full tilt!  One of the moose's legs hit my saddlebag and it changed direction again away from me.  I got back on the gas to get my rear wheel back in line and for a couple crazy moments this gigantic animal was sprinting alongside me.

I wasn't really sure, at this point, whether the moose was running at me, or just continuing to run in panic--I think I nearly twisted my throttle off!

Other stuff happened during the trip; I saw pretty vistas, went to church in Quebec City, chased a bear off the road (a little black one), got rained on (a lot), ate dinner with a crazy fisherman, forded a river, and got directions from a drunk.  But really, what can I write that would top side-swipping a charging bull moose?

Here's a few picks anyway:

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4763

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4759

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4766

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4767

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4780

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4787

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4806

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4808

One big gear winner for the trip is the Satechi Bluetooth iPod controller.  It made the long stretches more fun

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4811

One gear failure, my MT21 front tires:

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN4809

Check out that crazy wear pattern!  Some knobs are worn to the quick and others are hardly worn at all.  My 606 at the rear has less wear despite mounting it at the same time.

But the biggest hero of the trip is this:

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days DSCN0019

My Airhawk pad truly saved my ass.  I would never have managed so many hours in the saddle without it.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Looks like fun, I have to get over to the other side of the border in that area some time. Can you post up roughly the track you took ?
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Great pics, nice trip!

Have you done anything to the rear shock to compensate for the load of all of your gear?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Check your tire pressure. I was told that kind of wear happens if you run to low of pressure.
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Chrispy1200 wrote:
Looks like fun, I have to get over to the other side of the border in that area some time. Can you post up roughly the track you took ?
I just learned how to take a screen shot of base camp!

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days Screen%2520Shot%25202013-09-23%2520at%25209.45.29%2520PM
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks! Nice trip!
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Nice report and some great photos! Thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 9:00 pm

Very impressive. I never pictured the R2 as a big adventure bike but good for you.

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Great report. Thanks for posting.

It is true that a lot of people underestimate the capability of the WR250R as a bike capable of longer trips. I did a 10 day Newfoundland trip this summer with tent camping every night and carrying all my breakfasts, suppers, clothes, camping gear in my Expedition saddle bags and a canoe bag strapped on top. Over 4000 km (2400 miles) with zero issues and never once did I wish I had taken my Tiger instead.
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 am

saddletramp wrote:
Great report.  Thanks for posting.

It is true that a lot of people underestimate the capability of the WR250R as a bike capable of longer trips.  I did a 10 day Newfoundland trip this summer with tent camping every night and carrying all my breakfasts, suppers, clothes, camping gear in my Expedition saddle bags and a canoe bag strapped on top.  Over 4000 km (2400 miles) with zero issues and never once did I wish I had taken my Tiger instead.

.......now that's really saying something,the Tiger being the bike it is!
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Yep. I absolutely love the Tiger but recognize the WR to be the better weapon for some of the trails we were on in Newfoundland. Of course, the asphalt ride from here to the ferry and back would have been easier on the 800. Part of the fun for me was talking to bikers while waiting in the ferry line-up who could not believe I had chosen to take the 250 over the 800 for that trip. (Of course they were sitting there on GS1200's and the like but they did not venture off the beaten path like we had.)

Off topic but I notice that a lot of folks ride straight up the west coast of Nfld from Port-aux-Basques to St Anthony in their haste to to the Trans-Lab loop. We had no problem filling in 8 days of riding totally on the west coast of Newfoundland. Awesome country and the most wonderful scenery and people.

Back to the original post I have been to Mexico, Maine as well and smiled again on that play on words when I read this post and the pictures.

Back to top Go down
scanda

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Ayuh wicked good report.
I am originally from Winslow, the town next to me was China. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days   Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days Empty

Back to top Go down

Mexico to Quebec City in 2 Days
Page 1 of 1