Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Air Box Flapper

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
Jus42
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jus42

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 pm

What's the best way to get rid of the air box flapper?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Do it right away if you want good performance from the bike. thumb

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6382545#post6382545
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Glue it down. I used silicone.

There's plenty of thread around here and TT that use pictures to show what can be done.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 11:04 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Do it right away if you want good performance from the bike. thumb
Will it increase performance with the stock muffler?
I havn't removed it yet but I have also been looking for the best way here's the 2 best.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=57320

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/air-intake/68-flapperrem
Back to top Go down
Jus42

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 11:34 pm

ok cool. seems like most of you agree that you can just glue the flapper down. I'm not super mechanical, so if it's cool to glue it down without removing the solenoid and all that other stuff with no repercussions then that's what i'll do- thanks
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 11:58 pm

You're supposed to remove the solenoid and all of that other useless junk, and then glue the flapper down.

You can bet your bottom dollar that getting rid of this eyesore will improve performance, stock muffler or not. :)
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 4:15 am

You can split the flapper down the middle and remove it entirely by placing two flat screwdrivers (crossed) under it and prying the drivers apart in a sissor action.

I also punched the bottom half of the snorkel out by placing the tip of a screwdriver down through the hole left the solenoid and hitting it with the palm of my hand. This opens it up like Highfive's mod. But.....after doing this I found my mid range was boggy. I installed an FMF controller and GYTR pipe and it still seemed weaker in the mid range then when just the flapper was removed. I reinstalled the lower half of the snorkel and it pulls harder in the mid range then without it. I now glued it back in.

AK
Back to top Go down

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 10:57 am

Dude, if you cant take the solenoid and the other few hoses off and install a tiny plug, you may not even be qualified to RIDE the bike. scratch
Back to top Go down
Jus42

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 4:22 pm

ouch- seems easy enough-do I just leave the hole barren where the solenoid was?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Jus42 wrote:
ouch- seems easy enough-do I just leave the hole barren where the solenoid was?

Sure. That's just more air having an easier time getting into your airbox.

Here's my thread on this. Might be helpful to you.

click here my friend

Read both pages and check the pictures. One forum member was kind enough to use nice red arrows to point to stuff you can remove.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Jus42

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 7:47 pm

thanks motokid- One last question-promise: Can I remove the solenoid, the hose that goes with it (cap that end) and glue down the flapper with removing the cannister and the hose that goes to the fuel tank? I was just going to glue the flapper down but won't the solenoid keep trying to pull it up?
Back to top Go down
Jus42

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 7:56 pm

I meant WITHOUT removing the cannister and all the lines that go to the fuel tank, leaving the wiring harness plugged in and just removing the solenoid and that hose, then glue down the flap
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 8:28 am

There is nothing associated with the flapper valve and the fuel tank.

Not sure what you are asking. Also, if you are gonna remove some of the stuff, and "glue" down some stuff, why not do the whole thing?

Are you asking about leaving the silvery round thingy that I have pictured in my thread? The thing that actuates the flapper valve?
Is that what you are calling the "cannister"?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 8:46 am

Click the link I posted.
Is shows a pic of all the stuff associated with the flapper.
I removed all of that stuff from my bike, and my bike thanked me. :)

The hose runs to the throttle body.
If you're asking if you can take a shortcut and just snip the hose and plug the end of it, yes you can because that's what I did. :)
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 4:48 pm

i just removed the flapper & asst. parts yesterday. It was fairly simple. I just propped up the tank with a can to get to the vacuum hose connection. I didn't have a cap, but made one with a short bit of hose & a golf tee... it works.. i've used this cheap plug before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Air Box Flapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Box Flapper   Air Box Flapper Empty

Back to top Go down

Air Box Flapper
Page 1 of 1