Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

BOggy!? DoGgy!

Go down 
+4
Biglake
beee
rsteiger
bash3r
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bash3r

bash3r

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 2:59 pm

So I just got back from Utah/Colorado .. my bike ran great before and during the trip. When I got my bike back to Missouri elevation.. she did not want to start.. crank crank crank.. prime FI a few times, finally she started and seemed fine.

But I noticed when I hit the throttle she bogs down for a bit then catches up and speeds up. I did not notice this before/during the trip. If I'm in first and blip the throttle she just "brrrrr"'s at me, very doggy!!

I'm going to check my air filter/box see if everything's good, may check spark plug wear too..

Any suggestions please hit me!!! Have many of you messed with the O2 settings on the ECU. .I've heard some change settings from the factory settings and have improvements but not sure if that's something to look at ..

Thanks!
bash3r
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Had the same thing happen to my bike when I got back to GA from CO earlier this summer.

We road from Ouray to Durango in the pouring rain - plus we rode the long way from Lake City to Ouray in the rain the day before.

Once we hit Durango the other WRR rider's (BlueLightng) bike died at a stop light and would not restart. After he dropped the bike getting off of it (that was pretty funny) he pushed it to a nearby service station and we took about a 20 minute break. It started right up after that.

We loaded up the bikes on the trailer and towed them back to GA. Once we got back I started mine up and rode it to the parking pad behind my cabin. It sat about a week and when I went to start it, it cranked, fired up, sputtered and died. I cranked it again and it would not fire. After a bit I put it on a charger and added some fuel treatment.

Once the battery was charged up I fired it up again and it was not running right.. coughing, poor throttle response, dying, etc. After about 5 minutes it began to run better and in 15 minutes it was running fine again.

I sort of chalked up the whole thing to getting some water in the gas but now I am not sure.
Back to top Go down
beee

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 7:53 pm

If it ran fine before, messing with the o2 adjustment, is just going to confuse things, you have to fix whats wrong not find a patch.
Though on my bike when I messed with it to try to smooth out off idle response it basically did a lot of nothing. Couldn't tell any difference.

Back to top Go down
Biglake

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 8:01 pm

The ethanol in pump gas can cause this.

It atracks water and makes condensation in the tank way more than straight gas, it doesnt store well or keep long at all.
Back to top Go down
Jungle Man

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Ethanol screwed me up once, also, just a bad battery could do that. I just replaced mine. wouldn't fire up unless on the charger, tried bump starting it and it ran rough, just enough to barely move. A new battery was the fix.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 3:52 am

Try a new spark plug 1st, followed by full battery charge and load test.

If there is any doupt with the petrol in regards to ethanol or low RON / stale etc, then change the fuel as well. ( Plug fouling can be started initially by poor / low grade fuel, and can then be compounded further from there to the point that even with fresh / clean Hi Oct fuel it won't fire / run properly. This can be, and has been the case, with this bike from others - even when the plug "looks" ok ).

The recent change in altitude may have been enough cause for the problem to now become evident.

I also believe that some of those running excessively rich / high settings with their FMF / Fuel programmers will be greatly reducing the service life of the spark plug. And maybe even to the point where the "fouled" plug could start to cause the "hard start / poor running" condition.

I have actually replaced my standard NGK plug with the iridium version, which i believe will be way less susceptable to the "fouling" condition that quite a few others here have had. Also the obvious longer service life of the iridium plug. ( NGK part number is CR9EIX ). I've read where a few people have said "don't run the iridium plug in this bike", but i fitted one to my bike from near new and have had zero issues having now covered 8,500 klm's. Also i'm about to fit the 290 kit soon, so i'll be able to see if there have been any internal ignition detonation problems at that point - but i'm very confident all will be good.

In any case for your current situation, it's all pretty cheap and easy in relative terms to replace the plug, re-new the fuel & fully charge the battery. This way you can be sure that all the basic's & known issues that can cause this sympton have been covered.

Lastly, as others here have mentioned, if there is any doupt in regards to the battery condition, or maybe even if the battery is over 2 years old, then it may be best to just replace it.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
lanerider

lanerider

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 5:55 am

just a thought here in the uk altitude upsets bikes sea level on a nice cool day my wrr is spot on if i climb up high on mountain tracks in freezing conditions the power goes off this may be something to look at
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 12:45 pm

lanerider wrote:
just a thought here in the uk altitude upsets bikes sea level on a nice cool day my wrr is spot on if i climb up high on mountain tracks in freezing conditions the power goes off this may be something to look at

There are mountains in the UK??
Back to top Go down
lanerider

lanerider

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 12:48 pm

or should i say big hills you know what i mean
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Iv been running a Brisk plug for the last couple of years with no problems at all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOggy!? DoGgy!   BOggy!? DoGgy! Empty

Back to top Go down

BOggy!? DoGgy!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: What Broke?-
Jump to: