Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

LED Spot Lights

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 10:20 pm

A while back I added some Mondomotos LED spot lights to my WRR. I also ordered HDB's TS shields with integrated turn signals so I could mount the LED Spots where the stock turn signals are mounted:

LED Spot Lights 430101_10200688118559866_350497645_n

LED Spot Lights 482728_10200249333790521_1682376516_n

LED Spot Lights 48084_10200249336230582_908168790_n

While this worked out ok I was disappointed by the light scatter on the Mondomotos LED Spot lights. The beam was not nearly as focused as the ADVMonster LED Spot lights that I used on my DR650 and currently have on my Strom. Well after about half a year they were not growing on me.. so off the went.

I decided to install a pair of the ADVMonster LED spot lights that I had laying about and wanted to mount these up higher on the hand guards. So off came the HDB integrated turn signal TS Shields and on goes the stock turn signals and standard TS Shields.

LED Spot Lights 970531_10201311368740731_1839048814_n

LED Spot Lights 65050_10201312886218667_137591021_n

LED Spot Lights 1378457_10201313649957760_1818560867_n

Low Beam:
LED Spot Lights 548423_10201313658957985_665503157_n

Low Beam with ADVMonster LEDs:
LED Spot Lights 995165_10201313684798631_2020194907_n

Much happier now.
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Those look great.  I have a set of the older ADVMonster lights laying around which I will be adding soon.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 2:15 pm

camaroz1985 wrote:
Those look great.  I have a set of the older ADVMonster lights laying around which I will be adding soon.
I have ordered from both MondoMotos and ADVMonster and both of them work well. The thing I struggle with on the MondoMotos stuff is the beam focus or spread. Their flood lights are great but their spot lights just don't have that same crisp focus of the ADVMonster units.
Back to top Go down
beee

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Great writeup. I just added relays and a 70w omron bulb to the stock housing. While it is a lot better it is still pretty crappy. :(

Any chance you could get a pictures of the other led lights?
Back to top Go down
beee

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Does oncoming traffic or police dislike the leds?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 10:37 pm

beee wrote:
Great writeup.  I just added relays and a 70w omron bulb to the stock housing.  While it is a lot better it is still pretty crappy.  :(

Any chance you could get a pictures of the other led lights?
Which other LED lights?

The original ones I added are on the first photo. Do you mean the floods I took off my Strom?

These are the ones I had on my Strom (photo is not my bike though):
LED Spot Lights MM12-1200GS-3
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 10:42 pm

beee wrote:
Does oncoming traffic or police dislike the leds?
That was the issue I had with the MondoMotos LED spot light. The beam patter was too diffused and often times on coming traffic would flash their lights.

The ADVMonster lights have a tighter pattern and I can aim them so it does not blind on coming traffic.

Generally speaking if there is car coming towards me I turn the LED's off.... unless he is running his high beams.

During a daytime ride I pulled in to a gas station to fuel up. A cop followed me in and pulled up right behind me. I thought "crap, what did I do?".

He came up to me and said he really like the yellow helmet I wear and the LED Spots on the bike since they made me very visible on the bike. He rode too and wanted to know where I go the lights from.
Back to top Go down
beee

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks that is what I wanted to know.
Back to top Go down
Endurodude41

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Wiring   LED Spot Lights EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 8:21 pm

I was wondering how hard the lights were to wire into the electrical, did you get a shop to do it or is there something from ADV Monster that you buy to hook up to the bike?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Endurodude41 wrote:
I was wondering how hard the lights were to wire into the electrical, did you get a shop to do it or is there something from ADV Monster that you buy to hook up to the bike?
I have done is several different ways.

On the WRR I have a Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution harness with all three circuits being switched on when the bike is on. Two of those circuits go to the Powerlet sockets up on my HDB handguards. I spliced into one of those Powerlet circuits to power the LED spot lights and used a weather proof switch from HDB to turn them on and off.

On my DR650 and DL650 I wired the lights right into the high beam circuit on the head light. When I would turn the hi-beams on the LEDs would light up.

With the WRR I wanted the option to run the LED Spots on low beam during the day. This was in part due to my experience with the DR since I would run the high beam during the day and it would tend to burn out relatively quick (I was running one of those Sylvania 4000K bulbs) and it was such a PIA to change the headlight on that bike.

On the WRR it is pretty easy to change the bulb so I may eventually tie it into the high beam circuit.
Back to top Go down
beee

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 12:41 am

This would be more complicated, not really recommended for the amateur unless your motivated, but this is how I would do it if I had the led lights, they are now on my wish list.
On my bike with my slightly upgraded bulbs mentioned above, I don't care for high beam any more because there is not enough side spill, its to focused. My low beam is a decent amount better since my upgrade so based on the photos posted I would not use the high beam filament any more. Instead I would run low beam filament for low beam, and the low beam + leds for high beam.

So basically I would wire it so that the low beam filament is on in both the low beam and high beam switch position. Then I would wire the high beam position to also triggers the leds.

The issue with this is that you would be asking more current to flow through the stock switch which is generally considered the weak link and not recommended. The work around is to have the switch trigger a relay to power up your light sources at least for high beam.

The benefit of this would be no new switches needed. It should be a seamless transition from stock lights to the upgrade.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 am

I think the headlight on the WRR is already on a relay.

The reason I say this is my headlight is off until after the motor is running.

On my DR and DL that ran the HL power through the starter switch, the headlight would come on as soon as you turn the key. When you depressed the starter button the headlight would cut out (hence the reason the power feed was running through the starter switch) and then come back on once you released the starter switch.

On the WRR when you turn the key on the parking lights come on but not the headlight. After you hit the starter and the bike starts to run is when the headlight comes on.
Back to top Go down
beee

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Your right there is a relay, but unfortunately it doesn't help. There is one fuse feeding one relay for both high and low beam. The power leaves the relay and travels to the handle bar selector switch where it gets directed towards low beam or high beam. So unfortunately the only benefit of having the relay is reduced battery load on startup.

When I rewired my headlight I made the low and high beam separate circuits with separate fuses and relays for redundancy, Basically how most cars are wired. The benefits beside safety is that there is less load on the selector switch, I could run a 100w bulb with no risk of burning out the switch. The second benefit is less voltage drop, the bulb will see higher voltage, burn brighter, then with the factory setup.

I will say wiring took a very long time, even though I am a professional. Truthfully I am not happy with how it came out which is why I am not posting pics lol.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 8:06 pm

beee wrote:
Your right there is a relay, but unfortunately it doesn't help.  There is one fuse feeding one relay for both high and low beam.  The power leaves the relay and travels to the handle bar selector switch where it gets directed towards low beam or high beam.  So unfortunately the only benefit of having the relay is reduced battery load on startup.

When I rewired my headlight I made the low and high beam separate circuits with separate fuses and relays for redundancy, Basically how most cars are wired.  The benefits beside safety is that there is less load on the selector switch, I could run a 100w bulb with no risk of burning out the switch.  The second benefit is less voltage drop, the bulb will see higher voltage, burn brighter, then with the factory setup.

I will say wiring took a very long time, even though I am a professional.  Truthfully I am not happy with how it came out which is why I am not posting pics lol.
Great info! Thanks!

I do have an extra Eastern Beaver Headlight relay harness so it may see some use now!
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:21 pm

I got my ADVMonster lights fixed last night (loose ground wire inside the light), and am now trying to figure out where I want to put them. I'd really like to put them on the lower triple clamp bolts, which works on the right side, but on the left side, the brake hose blocks that. I also thought of replacing the front reflectors with the LED lights, but they are not as protected from a drop there. I am now leaning toward the upper triple clamp bolts, but not totally convinced that I like that either. Decisions decisions.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 9:22 pm

camaroz1985 wrote:
I got my ADVMonster lights fixed last night (loose ground wire inside the light), and am now trying to figure out where I want to put them.  I'd really like to put them on the lower triple clamp bolts, which works on the right side, but on the left side, the brake hose blocks that.  I also thought of replacing the front reflectors with the LED lights, but they are not as protected from a drop there.  I am now leaning toward the upper triple clamp bolts, but not totally convinced that I like that either.  Decisions decisions.
I had the Mondomotos mounted on the triple clamp and I have done several handle bar mounts. My preference for lighting the road is to get the lights up high and as far apart from one another since I think it gives me a little better control of the beam pattern and generally I like the results better. However, to each their own.
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm

I do like your handguard mounts, but I don't have any yet. I have the handlebar clamps that came with the lights, but not too sure of them.

I tihink I will jsut get them on somewhere and then move them if I need to later. I just want more light. I really hadn't ridden the WR in the dark yet, and with the time change I realized how bad the stock light is (and I had a Ural before this, so I'm not expecting much). It was way out of adjustment at first (pointing down a lot, would barely light up the back bumper of a car in front of me at a red light), but now that it is adjusted it's still not the best.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Well if you do get some hand guards the mounts are just some aluminum angle stock from Home Depot that I picked up. Pretty easy and cheap.
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Couldn't get the adjustment right on the upper triple clamp with the stock turn signals in the way. Put them on the reflector mounts. Definitely get your attention in the daylight. Will be riding for the first time in the dark with them shortly. I probably have some tweaking on the aim, but from what I could see in my garage and the alley behind my garage, they looked great.

I have the old 24W lights with the low-medium-high settings. The lights are advertised as 24w, but is that 24w each? I used a 5A fuse for them just to be sure (was going to use a 3A).
Back to top Go down
Nine Ways

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks to you guys that are using the ADVmonster LED lights on your WR. I work for ADVmonster and appreciate the positive reviews of our products.

Nice install, Bob, on the HDB handguards.

I have a set of ADVmonster LED lights attached to Tusk handguards. I did not need to add an extra bracket, just flipped around the foot on the mount and attached them to one of the existing screws on the handguards. It's sturdy and puts the lights high and wide which is where you want them.

LED Spot Lights IMG_20131120_162026_291

For those of you who want to use LED lights with your low beam headlight and have them at full power when you flip on your high beams, ADVmonster has a dimmer module which will do that with very little wiring required and it works great. I have one installed on my WR, tucked away behind the headlight shroud. How it works is that you set the level at which you want the LEDs to be on (the dim setting for riding in traffic) and when you hit your high beam switch the LEDs go to full brilliance. Running your LED lights all the time keeps you seen in traffic without having drivers flashing at you because they are too bright (which they are, lol.)

Camaro, you should be fine with a 5A fuse on the old 3-mode LED lights. Do you have your lights connected to a switch so that you can change settings or do you run them at one level only?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Nine Ways wrote:
Thanks to you guys that are using the ADVmonster LED lights on your WR. I work for ADVmonster and appreciate the positive reviews of our products.

Nice install, Bob, on the HDB handguards.

I have a set of ADVmonster LED lights attached to Tusk handguards. I did not need to add an extra bracket, just flipped around the foot on the mount and attached them to one of the existing screws on the handguards. It's sturdy and puts the lights high and wide which is where you want them.

LED Spot Lights IMG_20131120_162026_291

For those of you who want to use LED lights with your low beam headlight and have them at full power when you flip on your high beams, ADVmonster has a dimmer module which will do that with very little wiring required and it works great. I have one installed on my WR, tucked away behind the headlight shroud. How it works is that you set the level at which you want the LEDs to be on (the dim setting for riding in traffic) and when you hit your high beam switch the LEDs go to full brilliance. Running your LED lights all the time keeps you seen in traffic without having drivers flashing at you because they are too bright (which they are, lol.)

Camaro, you should be fine with a 5A fuse on the old 3-mode LED lights. Do you have your lights connected to a switch so that you can change settings or do you run them at one level only?
Nice setup. The reason I added the extra bracket (1" Al angle from Lowes) was so I could pivot the LEDs side to side and adjust the aim depending on where I was riding.

I like the dimmer module idea. I have an extra switched circuit on my EB 3 circuit solution harness and that should work well for this. I saw on the ADVMonster website that there were two dimmer modules. One looked like it was manually controlled and the other had a key FOB. I would prefer the manual module - would that still integrate into my high beam to switch to full power?
Back to top Go down
Nine Ways

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Yes, both dimmers work the same. The power to the unit is connected to switched power (so the lights come on with your key) and the extra connection is to your high beam switch wire so the lights go to full power with your high beam headlight.

Since space is limited on the WR, the rotary dimmer is easier to position. I have mine attached to the inside of the headlight shroud. Once I set the dim level to one that has my bike visible without blinding oncoming traffic, I don't need to bother with it any longer.

Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 2:15 pm

I have a switch hooked up and mounted on the bars. Wish there was a way to disable the 3 mode function and just use high. I had them go out of sync once, and luckily used connectors to attach to a harness I made that way I could unplug the one and get them back in sync.

I am definitely loving the extra light.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LED Spot Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Spot Lights   LED Spot Lights Empty

Back to top Go down

LED Spot Lights
Page 1 of 1