Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
REATOR

What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... Empty
PostSubject: What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....   What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 6:17 pm

So I bought a 2010 wr250r months ago. The previous owner said he changed the oil before I bought it. And it actually looked new in the window. No idea if he changed the filter. Anyway about 1k miles (or less) later figured Id change it, breaks, the drive, etc. So after heating it up, draining, putting in a new filter, magnetic plug, and fresh 50/50 blend; I go for a little ride. The oil is starting to look darker/old/dirty already... WHY??? does the system need to be flushed? Maybe it was put through water/ mud. Any insight?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....   What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Its normal, thats just how it is, its mostly caused by the clutch.

Back to top Go down
REATOR

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....   What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 8:47 pm

I was wondering if the wet clutch had anything to do with it. Thanks for the insight.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....   What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 9:07 am

REATOR wrote:
So I bought a 2010 wr250r months ago. The previous owner said he changed the oil before I bought it. And it actually looked new in the window. No idea if he changed the filter.  Anyway about 1k miles (or less) later figured Id change it, breaks, the drive, etc. So after heating it up, draining, putting in a new filter, magnetic plug, and fresh 50/50 blend; I go for a little ride. The oil is starting to look darker/old/dirty already... WHY??? does the system need to be flushed? Maybe it was put through water/ mud. Any insight?
#1) it's the clutch - no worries

#2) just curious - what's a "50/50 blend" ?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Ken Mandu

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....   What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 9:29 am

I just changed the oil in my 2012 a few days ago. What's a "magnetic plug"?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....   What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 9:37 am

Ken Mandu wrote:
I just changed the oil in my 2012 a few days ago. What's a "magnetic plug"?
Oil drain plug.
Magnetic.
Helps to pick up any metal stuff that misses the oil filter, or doesn't get to oil filter.
In theory. Very happy 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....   What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 10:50 am

Let's not forget that you never actually get all the old oil out of the engine. There's some dirty oil hanging around in there that will mix with your new stuff making it look a little dirty in short order.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....   What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty.... Empty

Back to top Go down

What's wrong? Just changed the oil and it looks dirty....
Page 1 of 1