Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Otter

Otter

Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount Empty
PostSubject: Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount   Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:18 pm

I am wondering if anyone is using a Garmin Oregon 600 series with a RAM Mounting system.  

My question is:

There are two types of cable systems for wiring the unit to battery power.  One has a straight plug into the Oregon (and pigtail wiring), the other has a 90 degree right angle plug into the Oregon (and cigarette lighter plug).  I prefer using the pigtail for ease of wiring to the bike, but I am not sure of which of the two connections to the Oregon gives a better fit on the handlebars and Ram mounting system.  

Anybody who has used these cable systems with a Garmin Oregon and a RAM mount have a preference?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount   Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 pm

I don't have the Oregon but I do have a Montana.

I use the cradle with a pig tail and then put a Powerlet plug on the end of it and plug it into one of my two outlets on the WRR. If I were doing it over again I think I would have taken the pigtail all the way back to my EB 3 Circuit Solution and hard wired it in. Still may do that.
Back to top Go down
Otter

Otter

PostSubject: RE: Montana   Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Yeah, the Montana and the Oregon have completely different RAM mounting systems and the power connection is fully integrated into the mount for the Montana (which seems much better).  The Oregon, it is a completely separate wire.  I just want to know if anyone who installed a Oregon would pick one type over the other (straight vs 90 degree).
Back to top Go down
raymondhenson

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount   Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Otter wrote:
Yeah, the Montana and the Oregon have completely different RAM mounting systems and the power connection is fully integrated into the mount for the Montana (which seems much better).  The Oregon, it is a completely separate wire.  I just want to know if anyone who installed a Oregon would pick one type over the other (straight vs 90 degree).

This maybe answered,, maybe not.

On my old Oregon, I used the 90-degree because I ran a small/thin ziptie thru the slot that held the wrist strap (of course taking out the wrist strap) and zip-tied the 90-degree for a much better hold. The power connection on my Oregon (before the zip tie) kept on jiggling loose.

Hope this helps.

Raymond
Back to top Go down
Otter

Otter

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount   Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 5:48 pm

After really looking at the mounts, I chose the AMPS mount and a Monterra (no typo, not a Montana). The Monterra is a very new and kinda spendy, but I am using a lot of the Android functionality. The direct connection to power on the handlebar while keeping all the weatherproofing plugs in place was a plus. The software is still buggy . . . it is a new product and I wished they had worked harder before the release. Updates are easy, just pull within range of your wi-fi and update the GPS. To really use this device you gotta plug in to your computer and use Basecamp software. So there are several learning curves.

You can add Google Play apps, and this has really helped me make it a multifunctional device. I added apps for the GoPro camera and also for the inReach satellite communicator. So now by just switching modes on the GPS I have a monitor for my GoPro camera right on my handlebar. I can also switch from video mode to photo mode without touching the camera.

With the inReach app, I can turn tracking on and off, check for incoming messages, and send messages from inReach right from the handlebar while inReach stays in my vest pocket.

Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount   Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 7:29 pm

I run a Garmin 600 series for both my bikes. For the 990 I have the Amps mount because the trips tend to be longer so a powered mount is convenient. For the WR I use the basic RAM handlebar mount, the battery seems to hold for at least 12-18 hours.

Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount 20171217
Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount 20171218
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount   Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount Empty

Back to top Go down

Garmin Oregon 600 Series and RAM Mount
Page 1 of 1