Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Plasti Dipping the WRR

Go down 
+2
Torontorocko
TheCycle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheCycle

TheCycle

Plasti Dipping the WRR Empty
PostSubject: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi all.  I figured I'd lurked enough so I should start a thread.  A few of my buddies had plasti-dipped their cage wheels and they looked pretty good.  The company just came out with a new product called "full spectrum" that apparently keeps its color pretty well and you don't need a base coat.  I've been lusting after the elusive yellow WRR so I figured I would try giving the bike some "accents".

Here's some pics of our (probably) last ride of the year before I get started.

Plasti Dipping the WRR FSPhtSkh
Plasti Dipping the WRR ZL6kyfLh
Plasti Dipping the WRR 0qtlTBgh

The bike got a little dirty so rather than clean the whole thing I figured I'd just remove the parts I plan on dipping and washed them in the shop sink.

Plasti Dipping the WRR PIxOekRh

After a hot bath with some Dawn dish soap I laid the parts out to dry overnight.

Plasti Dipping the WRR 3gqjCBah

The skid plate has some rough edges that I hear the plasti dip doesn't like.  I plan on really going heavy on the stuff because the more coats you have the easier it is to remove when you're sick of it.

Plasti Dipping the WRR KH0gb0Wh

The dip is supposed to arrive tomorrow.  I'll document the process and put it up here as well as the finished product.

Here's another pic of the bike just because.

Plasti Dipping the WRR PeFDVCC
Back to top Go down
TheCycle

TheCycle

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 10:49 am

#Reserved#

So my plasti dip arrived yesterday and was waiting for me when I got off work.  It was very well packaged.  I was pretty excited so I got right to it.

Every video I watched said to make the first coat very light (~50% coverage) so I tried to do that.  I was really surprised at how thin the "paint" was.  I was expecting it to be chunkier and thicker.  It sprayed just like spray paint.

Plasti Dipping the WRR IezsIAXh

I talked with my buddy and he suggested that a space heater would make for a good finish as it would cure the dip smoother.  I don't have a space heater so I opted for some big halogen work lights I have.  This picture was taken after the second coat.  

Plasti Dipping the WRR LKvRo6rh

Here's how I was curing the dip between coats.  I think I let 20 minutes pass between coats on average.  I let the first coat dry for about 30.

Plasti Dipping the WRR Gbw0cIDh

This is after the 4th coat.

Plasti Dipping the WRR 3uBzaMxh

Close up of the skid plate after the 4th coat.

Plasti Dipping the WRR UlEPeUzh

I ended up doing 6 coats with the last coat being the thickest I sprayed.  Here's the finished product.

Plasti Dipping the WRR WfcgfgAh

Plasti Dipping the WRR QWdfbcyh

Plasti Dipping the WRR FBZBg2Uh

Plasti Dipping the WRR Pq9JvWFh

That last pic shows the edge of the skid plate.  It's not the dip but the skid plate is a little roughed up.  The bike is still dirty so I don't want to put the parts on there yet.  I'll wash it this weekend and get a few pictures of the finished product.

All in all I can't say one way or the other if I would do it again.  I would defiantly take it outside next time as the fumes were pretty awesome harsh.  There's not too much overspray so you don't really have to be too careful with it.  The color looks good but time will tell about how durable it is and how easy it is to remove from aluminum/plastic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was only 30 degrees here in St. Louis this morning so I'm sure the neighbors thought I was nuts for washing my bike (as if they didn't already).  I think the finished product came out pretty nice.  I was hoping for more of a yellow color but the actual color seems more orange.  I was trying to get the bike to conjur feelings of the old school yellow Yamahas but instead it looks like I'm sponsored by Dewalt!  Let me know what you guys think.

Plasti Dipping the WRR A7Bgvg9

Plasti Dipping the WRR VCYJAqc

Plasti Dipping the WRR K4UJkKm

Plasti Dipping the WRR BUTQL40

Plasti Dipping the WRR NEQlLQS

Last edited by TheCycle on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited to add content. Edited with final product.)
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Lookin' forward to seeing the results as well as durability tests.
Back to top Go down
paramud

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah, I am interested to. I had one crash that really scratched up my left wing thingy.
Back to top Go down
TheCycle

TheCycle

PostSubject: OP Updated   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

Updated with the dipping process and results. I'll post pics of the final product when I wash the bike this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:46 am

Looking forward to pics on the bike..
Yellow and Blue.
Back to top Go down
paramud

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I was looking to get orange or yellow gloves to go with my blue bike/gear. Looking forward to it on the bike.
Back to top Go down
stevo88

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Looks good man! Looking forward to the finished product.

I used black plasti dip on the side panels, front fender, and headlight scoop of my wrx. I think it look's great. Really easy to apply to. I gave around 3 or 4 coats per piece. It's easy to apply another quick coat to it the dip starts peeling or is thin in an area. If I remember right it was about $20 a can up here in Canada.

Plasti Dipping the WRR 20130812_135904_1
Back to top Go down
TheCycle

TheCycle

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 2:33 pm

stevo88 wrote:
Looks good man! Looking forward to the finished product.

I used black plasti dip on the side panels, front fender, and headlight scoop of my wrx. I think it look's great. Really easy to apply to. I gave around 3 or 4 coats per piece. It's easy to apply another quick coat to it the dip starts peeling or is thin in an area. If I remember right it was about $20 a can up here in Canada.

Plasti Dipping the WRR 20130812_135904_1
Looks good.  Love the black with the black frame/swingarm.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Better than paint?
Back to top Go down
TheCycle

TheCycle

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Added pics of the final product.
Back to top Go down
TheCycle

TheCycle

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 2:15 pm

gatorfan wrote:
Better than paint?
Apples and oranges really.  This is color you can easily remove (supposedly).
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 2:01 am

It can be removed rather easy if applied thick enough.  Years ago when I first used it, I went too thin on my Evo IX front lip.  When it came time to re-do, I had to resort to a sander due to the frustration.  It pretty durable up until you lift an edge, then it will begin to peel.  It's forgiving and reversible when compared to paint.

Plasti Dipping the WRR IMG_0490

Plasti Dipping the WRR IMG_0495
Back to top Go down
TheCycle

TheCycle

PostSubject: PlastiDip Update   Plasti Dipping the WRR EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Well the dip started looking pretty haggard so I decided to try to peel it off. Came off just fine and was pretty satisfying. Once you get a corner up you can take most sections off in one peel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plasti Dipping the WRR   Plasti Dipping the WRR Empty

Back to top Go down

Plasti Dipping the WRR
Page 1 of 1