Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
gonagain

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest Empty
PostSubject: New WR and Sam Houston National Forest   New WR and Sam Houston National Forest EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 6:13 am

Well, Lets try this again.. Hate it when you write something up and then accidentally hit the X to close out the tab!! Anyway I digress

I am posting this in the Adventure section cause it is not just a one day event but a timeline of sorts leading up to my day spent at Sam Houston National Forest.

This past June I picked up a very clean 2010 WR250x. I had been looking for a WR for quite a while and although there were a few of the R's around me they were all in need of much tlc. So when this WRx came available at a great $ I had to pick her up. Bike had 1100 miles to date had never been off road and I am pretty sure the guy waxed it after every use. haha

Day of Purchase: Owner had installed the GTYR Tail rack, Acerbis Skid Plate, and a set of Avon Distanzia's

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-7XqWrBf-M" />

After Taking the obligatory "Ohh look at my pretty bike" pictures I took her over to a buddy's house for a shakedown ride Very happy

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-vtdZhdx-M" />

My Buddy Found a Mud Pit on his old atv

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-DXZRZFc-M" />

Although I do like the Supermoto setup and the bike is a blast. I really wanted a dual sport. So just after a month of ownership I got on the phone with Forrest from wheeling cycles and ordered up a full set of SMPro rims with all the goodies. Not ready to give up the fun of the Supermoto just yet. And this way I can switch back and forth within an hour or so. Plus I already have a fun street bike in the form of an 08' SVn

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-xFgFT9c-M

Installation of the SMPro setup was straight forward and simple although putting the Pirelli MT-21's and hd tube on the rims was a PITA!!! Maybe after some use and a few more tire changing sessions it will be easier or else I am screwed!

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-hNS7TVM-M" />

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-4pxLg5N-M" />

After installation I was itching to get going and do some dirt riding. My go to area was closed for hunting season (Uncle has 175 acres an hour west of houston) Apparently we dont want to scare away any of the food that roams around there. ;-)
Since that was not an option and 95% of Texas is privately owned there are very few options for dirt riding. My nearest option was Sam Houston National Forest. According to the park service: "The Sam Houston National Forest offers 85 miles of multiple-use trails designated and developed for hiking, biking, horses, and registered Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs)." Sounded promising. After obtaining my OHV sticker from Cycle Shack North (only dealer in the area that carried them) and paid my $5 forest entry fee, I was good to go. Through a few basic reviews and the trail map provided from the park service I decided to explore the west Section. i figured most reviews said ATVs congregated in the east so I would ride west. Once I got there I figured out why. The trails are open to all forms of OHV but I have no idea how an ATV would get through there short of running over a few small trees.

Spent all my time in the circle. The pipeline that runs NW to SE was all open and had a great trail. Lots of fun and was able to get up some speed.
New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-SXFzGTC-M" />

All in all it was an eye opening experience. I have been riding street bikes for years but the last time I was on a dirt bike was 12 years ago. I had every intention of spending the entire day crisscrossing the trails. After the first 30min I knew that was never going to happen. haha One of the first thing i realized is although I can tiptoe the bike, I need to lower it. Within 5 min I stopped to adjust and putting my left foot down on the ground, yet it turned out to be a bit further than expected so over I went and broke my left mirror and clamp. Luckily i could still ride fine with the broken piece.

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-CTMcV2b-M" />

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-LMZzPff-M" />

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-nWSxJjM-M" />

After a few more spills and tons more fun I am hooked. I do need to get out there some more and like everyone else I need to get into better shape. haha But this coming year is going to be one playing in the dirt!!

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-PqsjXKz-M" />

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-PnrhrPf-M" />

Anyone that is in the area and is looking for some fun riding, look no further than Sam Houston National Forest. Just be ready for some sandy soil.

Enjoy!

-MG

Also on a side note I convinced the Father in Law (A Lifelong motorcyclist) he needed to return to the dirt....
New WR and Sam Houston National Forest <a href=New WR and Sam Houston National Forest I-KMNCjrK-M" />
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: New WR and Sam Houston National Forest   New WR and Sam Houston National Forest EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:11 am

I cracked my left clutch perch at Sam Houston a couple weeks ago.  For some reason, those trails love to eat up clutch perches!

I replaced it with a Sunline SL-4 clutch perch and a Vince V-1 MDX Lever--it should never brake again, I hope.

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest SUN-S4V-_sw2_Blue?$NewPDP2$

I also replaced the stock mirror (since it's attached to the stock perch).  The Doubletake Mirror is solid.

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest Home-mirror

How much did those sweet rims set you back?  I've been thinking I want another set of rims for Christmas; the distanza's are great for commuting, but I miss my MT21/D606 combo when the pavement ends.  And you're right...swapping out tires is a PITA (especially the D606 rear).

I live in Katy; PM me the next time you go out and I'll join you. thumb
Back to top Go down
gonagain

PostSubject: Re: New WR and Sam Houston National Forest   New WR and Sam Houston National Forest EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 am

Rusty Shovel wrote:
I cracked my left clutch perch at Sam Houston a couple weeks ago.  For some reason, those trails love to eat up clutch perches!

I replaced it with a Sunline SL-4 clutch perch and a Vince V-1 MDX Lever--it should never brake again, I hope.

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest SUN-S4V-_sw2_Blue?$NewPDP2$

I also replaced the stock mirror (since it's attached to the stock perch).  The Doubletake Mirror is solid.

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest Home-mirror

How much did those sweet rims set you back?  I've been thinking I want another set of rims for Christmas; the distanza's are great for commuting, but I miss my MT21/D606 combo when the pavement ends.  And you're right...swapping out tires is a PITA (especially the D606 rear).

I live in Katy; PM me the next time you go out and I'll join you. thumb
RS - Yeah I I have the doubletake mirrors on my christmas list!!  Either the wife gets them for me or santa will Very happy 

Those Sunline SL-4 perch and Lever look great! any pics of them actually on the bike? Also what is the length of the MDX lever vs stock? i like the shorter levers. I do have a set of the Cycra Handguards so that should help with the protection.

I will pm you for sure next time i go up and you do the same. always better to ride with someone else just in case. Plan on going up to Barnwell Mountain Park after Christmas. in laws live about 30 min away so that should be fun.

-MG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New WR and Sam Houston National Forest   New WR and Sam Houston National Forest Empty

Back to top Go down

New WR and Sam Houston National Forest
Page 1 of 1