Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hundensport

Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. Empty
PostSubject: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm torn between three bikes that are all at the same price point: $5K out the door.  I'm in BC, Canada, so we pay a premium for everything, including a 12% tax on all used vehicle sales.  baldy  I like them all, each have their pros and cons, so my deciding factor will likely end up being perceived value for money.  Bang for the buck is subjective so I'm interested in what the WRX crowd think of my options.

1)  2009 WR250X.  20K km (12.5K miles).  The bike is at a Yamaha dealer who sold it new to the original owner who used it to commute; he traded it in for a Triumph Tiger 800 as according to them he wanted to do longer distance dual sporting.  It has a full service history with them including the most recent major one.  It includes a Yosh exhaust and power commander.  Oh, and it's black.  cheers 

2)  2011 KLX250S.  Under 4K km (2.5K miles) and clean as a whistle.  The owner is a helicopter mechanic and it's all decked out with farkles. Craigslist ad here.

3)  2009 DRZ400SM.  Under 9K km (5.6K miles) and clean.  Has all the usual mods.  Craigslist ad here.

Since price is not a factor, for those that are familiar with the other bikes, who among you would take the WRX without thinking twice?  My main reservation is the high mileage though I know from other threads that the motors are tough as nails.  I'm more concerned with having to regularly replace other stuff down the road because of wear and tear since it was used a commuter.

Am I nitpicking?  Please give me your thoughts on my options.  Thanks!  lurk
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Last time I checked, which has been a while, neither of the two other choices had FI. That was a deal killer for me.

Having FI makes the WR much more attractive. No messing with jetting for mods (with a programmer installed) or for elevation. No-brainer for me.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 6:18 am

Dude.... 12,500 miles is NOT "high mileage"  by even a long stretch.

The first valve adjustment on these bikes is over 20,000 miles.

At 12,500 miles it's maybe NEEDED a total of 5 oil changes.

That's just barely broken in with these bikes.

yes - you're nitpicking. amazon 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 9:25 am

You are probably in the wrong place if you are looking for unbiased opinions, but I would pick the WRx for sure.

I have no personal experience with the Kawi, but from what I hear they are underpowered and boring.

Everybody and their brother has a DRZ, and they seem to be reliable, but old tech, heavy, and I think they look very dated. I was considering a DRZ when I got my WRx, but I am very happy with my decision.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 1:58 pm

hundensport wrote:
I'm torn between three bikes that are all at the same price point: $5K out the door.  I'm in BC, Canada, so we pay a premium for everything, including a 12% tax on all used vehicle sales.  baldy  I like them all, each have their pros and cons, so my deciding factor will likely end up being perceived value for money.  Bang for the buck is subjective so I'm interested in what the WRX crowd think of my options.

1)  2009 WR250X.  20K km (12.5K miles).  The bike is at a Yamaha dealer who sold it new to the original owner who used it to commute; he traded it in for a Triumph Tiger 800 as according to them he wanted to do longer distance dual sporting.  It has a full service history with them including the most recent major one.  It includes a Yosh exhaust and power commander.  Oh, and it's black.  cheers 

2)  2011 KLX250S.  Under 4K km (2.5K miles) and clean as a whistle.  The owner is a helicopter mechanic and it's all decked out with farkles. Craigslist ad here.

3)  2009 DRZ400SM.  Under 9K km (5.6K miles) and clean.  Has all the usual mods.  Craigslist ad here.

Since price is not a factor, for those that are familiar with the other bikes, who among you would take the WRX without thinking twice?  My main reservation is the high mileage though I know from other threads that the motors are tough as nails.  I'm more concerned with having to regularly replace other stuff down the road because of wear and tear since it was used a commuter.

Am I nitpicking?  Please give me your thoughts on my options.  Thanks!  lurk
For the record the klx is a dirt bike and the other two are SMs.  If you want to ride only on the street consider the additional cost of buying 17" wheels.  And vice versa for the SMs if you want to ride on dirt.

I considered the KLX and DRZ when I bought my WRR.  I've ridden all three.  The WR is a superior bike in every way except maybe size if you're >6' tall and of course price.  The DRZ is slightly more size appropriate for taller people.  The KLX has carbs and is heavy and underpowered compared to the WR.  The DRZ has a little more power, a little more low end, carbs and is a little heavier.  The WR also handles better than the DRZ and KLX by a fair bit.  

Usually DRZs and KLXs are cheaper than WRs so you're either getting a deal on the WR or overpaying for the DRZ.  The KLX might be more because it's newer.  

My choice would obviously be the WR.  I wouldn't blink at the mileage based on what I've read here. Though do see if you can get any sense for service history. If not look over the bike for missing and/or knackered fasteners. Is the chain properly adjusted and clean? How black is the oil in the sight glass. None of these are empirical evidence but it does give you a sense for how it was taken care of.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
hundensport

PostSubject: Re: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for the prompt responses, fellas.  This forum is an awesome resource.  I just needed to hear it from someone other than the voice in my head.  GAHHHH 

Going to have a look at her again tomorrow and if everything checks out okay, hopefully take her home this weekend.  Will post pics when that happens.  Cheers!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 3:13 pm

I would get whichever one registers higher on the wood-o-meter. A MC is a passion not a tool.

With that said, since there are 2 supermotos in the mix maybe the OP is riding mainly street? If that is true, I would pick the DRZ400. The low end torque of the bigger motor would be more fun squiding around town.
Back to top Go down
hundensport

PostSubject: Re: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 4:12 am

Dhally, you nailed it.  She hit redline on the wood-o-meter... schwing!

And she's mine!  I take her home this weekend.  Pic over in the new member forum, link here.  Oh, and I ended up saving over a grand.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.   Value for money question... your opinion appreciated. Empty

Back to top Go down

Value for money question... your opinion appreciated.
Page 1 of 1