Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NH_2012WRR_Rider

NH_2012WRR_Rider

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Empty
PostSubject: Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar   Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 6:32 pm

First I should say that I have little experience working on bikes.  This post describes my experience installing the Cycra handguards.  After reading what the web has to offer, I make a judgement call of when I think I know enough and dive in.  As I work i find Many areas for which I wish there was more details and have questions about.  I put the questions below.  I put a section of things I wished I would have done differently after that, so readers can know up front what areas to look out for.

All these pictures were taken with my iPhone 5s. They are crazy good. I rarely break out my SLR anymore.

-----QUESTIONS-----------
Questions I have at this point in the install have to deal with the fit of the guard.  This is going to be the hard part in my mind.  The mounting of the side mount and the prep of the bar end were trivial.  Questions:
1) When the handguard is in its final installed position what should be the goal relative to the alignment of the handguard bar and the clutch and brake levers.  Should the clutch and brake levers be offset above the handguard bar or directly behind it? I see pictures of the front of bikes with handguards installed.  Does anyone have pictures of the area in question.
Here is a picture illustrating the current fit prior to bending.
Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image50
Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image51
2) There are two holes in the Cycra triple clamp side mount to bolt the handguard bar in.  Which one have people used?  I am leaning toward using the outside hole because it would provide more clearance between the levers and the handguard when the handguard is installed.  Of course that too is dependent on how the guard is bent.  
3) If anyone has done the install can they describe where the bends were made.

I am going to keep pressing on and share my trials as I go.

------THINGS I WISHED I DID -----------
1) I wish I did not cut the entire end off the rubber throttle grip to get to the inside.  I should have just punched a hole in it or maybe an X cut large enough to peel it back over the grip to get to what I needed to work on.  I am worried about dirt getting in the tube.  I will need to do something to keep dirt water out I think.  Maybe an end cap is available ...
Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image48
2) Bought different guards... ..   No - not really not yet anyway.

----------WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR....----  
The text below describes what I have done so far.  I have mounted the triple clamp and prepped the handlebar end for attachment. Here is that story.

I decided to put Cycra Probend handguards on my 2012 WR250R.  I ordered: Cycra Probend Bar Pack white (no mounts) 7500-42 for $65.36 and Cycra Triple Clamp Side Mount System for $33.79 from Amazon.com.  That is just less than $100 for solid handguard system.

Note: I will be adding to this post periodically to fill in the details

I had to buy longer pinch bolts.  I bought M8 1.25 x 60 mm from a Fastenal store here in Nashua NH.  They are hex head bolts that are threaded their whole length.  I would rather have the 10 mm flange head bolts and will be keeping a look out for some but for now those worked.  Thanks to someone on here that posted the size.

First mounting the triple clamp side mount...
I have run across several pictures of installs where the stock turn signals are moved outside the triple clamp side mount.  I was originally going to do this as well but I decided against it.  I thought that it put too much stress on the wiring.  That may or may not be the case.  It certainly is easier to move the turn signal to the outside because the Cycra triple clamp side mount can not be mounted flush on the outside of the turn signal bracket because it interferes with the turn signal angle bracket shown in the figure below.

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image34

Here is a picture of the triple clamp mount next to the pinch bolts through the turn signal bracket.  In order to mount the bracket on the outside of the turn signal I removed the metal on the bottom of the bracket.  In the end I am not sure if it was worth the added effort but it is what it is.  The turn signal mount was beefy and I decided that I was more comfortable taking off some metal than pulling on the wiring.  So I pulled out the hack saw.
Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image35

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image36

I thought about removing the turn signal with the bracket and working with it off the bike but it turned out it was more trouble than it was worth to remove the signal.  Besides I dont own a vise.  Instead I left in the bike.  I removed one bolt and left one bolt in to secure it.  I rotated it around so that I could get the angle I needed to cut away at it with a hack saw blade.

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image37

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image38

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image39

Here is the modified turn signal mount that will allow the triple clamp to mounted flush.  I cleaned it up with my Dremel.

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image40

Here is a picture of the Cycra Triple Clamp Side Mount installed.  Certainly not much to look at. I was actually surprised at how bulky they were.
Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image44
Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image45
Time to move on to where the other end of the guard will mount up at the end of the handlebar.
I cut away the end of the handlebar grip to expose the end of the throttle grip tube.  It was not what I expected.  I have seen pictures of other posts and the throttle tube never came out and beyond the end of the bars.  I decided to make it look like what I have seen in other posts.  I knew the throttle tube must not rub against the installed handguard bracket.  So I scored the plastic all the way around and cut down to the handlebar all the way around with the hacksaw blade again.  I then snipped the plastic ring I created off with a pair of side cutters.  That looks more like what I have seen in handguard installation pics.

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image41

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image42

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image43

Here is where I am at currently.  I knew that the guards would have to be bent and my install is no exception.  The following two pictures, one of each end of the install shows that there is quite a bit of gap to close.  

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image46
Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image47
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar   Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm

1- I mount mine so the bralke and clutch levers are right under the bar in the guard.

2- I've vever used tripple clamp mounts but I'd use the outer most holes after looking at your pics.

3-
Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Image47[/quote]

Bend the guard roughly under the brake line fitting right where they're almost touching in this pic untill it sets flat on the tripple clamp mount.
To do this clamp the inner few inches of it in a vice (wraped in a rag so it doesnt get scratched) and pull on it.
The bar end looks to line up good enough dont bother bending it.

A couple of other things, your throttle tube looks just like the ones on my last few bikes it'll be fine.
If dirt does get under it just spray a bunch of wd40 or something similar under it to flush out the dirt.

You apear to have the wrong bar inserts which are smaller and would fit alumium bars, they need to fit tight inside the bars.
You'll have to order the right ones for steel bars.
Back to top Go down
NH_2012WRR_Rider

NH_2012WRR_Rider

PostSubject: Re: Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar   Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Biglake wrote:

Bend the guard roughly under the brake line fitting right where they're almost touching in this pic untill it sets flat on the tripple clamp mount.
To do this clamp the inner few inches of it in a vice (wraped in a rag so it doesnt get scratched) and pull on it.
The bar end looks to line up good enough dont bother bending it.

People have talked about heating it up. Do I need to do that?  Also, should the handelbar end be flush against the handguard?

Biglake wrote:

A couple of other things, your throttle tube looks just like the ones on my last few bikes it'll be fine.
If dirt does get under it just spray a bunch of wd40 or something similar under it to flush out the dirt.

Good news. Thanks

Biglake wrote:
You apear to have the wrong bar inserts which are smaller and would fit alumium bars, they need to fit tight inside the bars.
You'll have to order the right ones for steel bars.

Cycra did provide the larger ones, I just need to swap them out.
Back to top Go down
hyperboarder

PostSubject: Re: Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar   Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 11:47 pm

I think the mounting relative to the levers is personal preference. I needed to rotate both levers down a bit as my wrists were starting to hurt from being bent too far while standing. From there I rotated the Cycras a bit further down, I have the bar mounts so I figure if it goes down the guards will rotate up, hoping they don't spin enough to cause lever damage.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar   Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 6:03 pm

NH_2012WRR_Rider wrote:

People have talked about heating it up. Do I need to do that?  Also, should the handelbar end be flush against the handguard?

Dont bother heating it theres no need.

You may never get the handle bar completly flush with the end of the bar and you dont need to.

No hand guards fit perfect, getting them close is good enough.

The few sets I've had were installed about 1/8 of an inch from flush with the end of the bars so I'd have room for my fat hands lol and so the throttle wouldnt hit it and bind.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar   Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 am

With a vice & a little patience you can tweak the hand guards to fit correctly with no heat. With only two points of contact they don't offer much protection if they don't have good mechanical contact with the bars or brackets. It's well worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar   Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar Empty

Back to top Go down

Installing Cycra handguards on stock bar
Page 1 of 1