Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR longtrips

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bsheet2

bsheet2

WRR longtrips Empty
PostSubject: WRR longtrips   WRR longtrips EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 8:22 am

Summer 2012 I did 2600 mile ride from southern Colorado up into Montana and back on my MRR. Here is the trip report:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816701&highlight=hopscotch

The WRR was just fine.  

I added Lynx Fairing and windshield with HID headlights.  Very nice.    Aftermarket seat.  4.7 gallon fuel tank.  Wolfman luggage rack and luggage.  Home made tail rack from plastic cutting board.  Wolfman tail bag.  All luggage water proof.  Wolfman tank bag.  As you can see, I really like the Wolfman gear.  Nice stuff.  I did add a stiffer spring on the rear shock to carry the weight of me and luggage.

My brothers DR650 did great as well.  That would be an excellent option.  50 or 60 lbs heavier than the WRR.  But decent horse power for highway and lighter than your current bike. Also a very reliable bike.

Check out  Big Dog Adventures  web site.  He has done over 50,000 miles on his WRR and it is still doing fine.  The one mechanical item on the WRR to worry about is the fuel pump.  You might carry a spare.
Back to top Go down
sophijo

WRR longtrips Empty
PostSubject: rear spring   WRR longtrips EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 4:37 pm

This looks like a good one. Could you give me some more info on the rear spring? I'm 230lbs and thinking I could use a stiffer spring.......(couldn't we all)!
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

WRR longtrips Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR longtrips   WRR longtrips EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 10:51 pm

I think I got a Eibach spring.  My memory is not too good. Man I can't even remember the spring rate I bought.  Specs on stock spring are:
Spring free length  220 mm
Installed length   211.5 mm
Spring rate   456.8 1b/in  (8.16 kgt/mm)
Spring stroke   0 - 95 mm  (0 - 3.74 in)
Rear shock travel  0 - 95 mm  (0 - 3.74 in)

Basically I picked out a spring rate that was stiffer than the 8.16 kg/mm.  Then made up the difference by increasing pre-load to get a 3 to 4 inch sag when I was fully loaded with luggage.  

Sorry, I am not much help.  Maybe someone with expertise can respond to this.

I weight 220 to 230 lbs as well. And my luggage weighs about maybe 50 to 60 lbs. I needed a stiffer spring on the rear to be able to get a 3 to 4 inch sag when fully loaded.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

WRR longtrips Empty
PostSubject: heated grips   WRR longtrips EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Oh yea, I added heated grips to the WRR as well. Those things are great when it gets cold.
Back to top Go down
sophijo

WRR longtrips Empty
PostSubject: Spring   WRR longtrips EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 7:06 pm

That's good starting info Bsheet2! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

WRR longtrips Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR longtrips   WRR longtrips EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:07 am

Glad you shared this ADV story here on the WR site. Really enjoyed reading it instead of sleeping and getting up early. haha

I have tried a variety of gear and so far, it is Wolfman all the way. I am debating on the heated grips as it seems like here in Ca. there is just not enough really cold days. Most riding friends disagree on that point so guess I should consider.

Great story, thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WRR longtrips Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR longtrips   WRR longtrips Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR longtrips
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: